Menu

Just an insane little rant

I made the huge mistake of telling my dds I wanted to lose weight. They started out by telling me we would all go on the Atkins diet together but now they are just nazi diet bullies. Atkins is not going to work for me. I'm addicted to carbs and sugar. It hasn't even been a week and I'm losing it. (my mind, not weight.)

I haven't gone a single day without cheating. I have a headache. I want rice, popcorn, corn, grits. If I have to eat one. more. version of deviled eggs I'm going to puke. How do you spell that anyway, how about defiled eggs?

I snuck out of bed last night and ate forbidden food. Oldest dd found the trash in can and busted me. Youngest watches me like a hawk when oldest is out.

I think they are going to start making me take breath tests for carbs.

I do want to lose weight, I'm 5'7" and 180. Too much. But this is not going to work for me.

There's got to be a better way.

I made the huge mistake of telling my dds I wanted to lose weight. They started out by telling me we would all go on the Atkins diet together but now they are just nazi diet bullies. Atkins is not going to work for me. I'm addicted to carbs and sugar. It hasn't even been a week and I'm losing it. (my mind, not weight.)

I haven't gone a single day without cheating. I have a headache. I want rice, popcorn, corn, grits. If I have to eat one. more. version of deviled eggs I'm going to puke. How do you spell that anyway, how about defiled eggs?

I snuck out of bed last night and ate forbidden food. Oldest dd found the trash in can and busted me. Youngest watches me like a hawk when oldest is out.

I think they are going to start making me take breath tests for carbs.

I do want to lose weight, I'm 5'7" and 180. Too much. But this is not going to work for me.

There's got to be a better way.

I did the 17 Day Diet this spring which is a modified Atkins. I thought I'd loose my mind without sugar in my tea.

Try adding exercise. Couch to 5K is a nice program. See if you have a zumba class locally. Maybe a yoga class would be of benefit.

:grouphug:

Ok I dont want to laugh but :lol:

Ok on that note, you are detoxing and if you can hang in the headaches and such will pass! If you cant do it, try breaking your addiction to the sugars first. Start with replacing the sugars with natural alternatives, not splenda! I mean like honey, agave, maybe stevia. Get rid of the white sugar, HFCS, and crap like that.

Here are the rest of the steps. It really does work!

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2011/01/slay-the-sugar-monster-in-four-doable-steps/

Atkins made me ill. I do much better on a high veggie, quality protein/fat, whole carb diet. (I guess that would be more in the South Beach area?)

I agree with adding exercise. As we age, we lose muscle mass. Maintaining muscle mass is what keeps our metabolism up and, consequently, keeps us from storing too much fat when we eat a reasonable diet.

Atkins is not healthy and only works for a small percentage of people and only short term.

There is a Carb addicts diet. Also, carbs are allowed on The Zone Diet. You can google either. They are both pretty healthy. I like The Zone better; it is the healthiest diet I've read about and I've read (and tired) dozens.

Good luck! Tell your DDs that while you are committed to losing weight you need to change diets. Put your mamma foot down!

I bargain for my sugar.

I will eat eggs for breakfast (which make me gag) and have only meat and veggies for lunch and dinner--just so that I can have a brownie for dessert after they go to bed.--But I stop at a small serving (probably 1/3 of what I would have had 3 months ago).

That one cheat gets me through the day, I think about it, I plan for it.

I have lost weight, granted slower that if I were "better", but I like my sugar.

Lara

Promise to eat salad three times a day if they'll leave off you about the carbs.

Eventually the salad will work its salady magic and you'll stop craving the carbs so much. Take a calcium/magnesium supplement too, if you don't already and consider snacking on dates instead of popcorn.

Rosie

I believe that the formal term is 'spawn of the devil' and the common parlance is 'devilishly inedible eggs'.

I've never done Atkins but I have been on various other high protein/low carb diets. Yes, they work, and give me great initial results but after three months I can't stand it. It's simply not realistic at least for me.

I've tried them all and I'm enjoying using a meal delivery service with a nutritional breakdown of 50% protein/35% carb/20% fat. It's not cheap but my health is starting to suffer and losing this weight will be cheaper than long term medicating which will only lead to other issues that will need medicating and so on and so on...

Good luck, it's not easy. The trick, at least for me, is to find something YOU can stick with and to have the mindset to make the commitment for yourself not because others nag you. Nagging only irritates me although I am a world class nagger myself. ;)