Menu

21.90 Hours Programmed so far-uh..&...

I'm probably going to be MIA for a few days while I pull this together. Wish me luck. I go in to discuss & purchase books tomorrow.

This is her subject list. Lay down your arrows please. ;) No Tiger Hunting Please. :)

Arts

Biology

Blogging

Botany

Chemistry

Civics

Communications

Cursive/Handwriting

Digital Citizenship

Earth Science

Economics

Ecosystems

Educational Technology

Environmental Science

ESE

Evolution

Fine Arts

Fitness

General Science

Geography

Geology

Grammar

Health

History, Ancient

Human Biology

IES

Labs

Language

Library Science

Life Cycles

Life Science

Logic & Critical Thinking

Math

Music

Narration / Transcribing

Native American Studies

Occupational Education

Photography

Physical Science

Physics

Psychology

Reading

Science, General

Social Studies

Sociology

Space

Spelling

State History

Study Skills

Test Taking Skills

United States History

Writing

Zoology

Her 11 Core (weekly) are:

Reading

Writing

Spelling

Grammar

Language

Math

Science

Social Studies

History

Health

Occ. Ed.

Art

Music

These are the courses I have to have written learning plans for, this is the list that adheres to state guidelines. These are the areas that the ALE offers classes for. Some are across curriculum, and I obviously supplement or completely handle at home. I'm only enrolling her in 4 structured classes on-site in classrooms, all the rest is on me.

All the remaining classes are beyond the core, but still have written learning plans and regular reviews, portfolios or some sort of accountability to them.

Each subject gets a plan or course written for it, and is worked through either block scheduling, working across the curriculum (weaving in the required skills), or rotations in a 1-4 week block.

"

There are two parts to the formal tracking; and the first and minimum requirement is to provide full lesson plans in writing which equals 20 hours of learning per week. It took me three days to write the 21.90-what a bear that was. My house has fallen apart!

Now today, I take in my 21.90, get them approved, and I'm good to go for material orders on them. The remainder I'm gonna need a couple days..lol..

As an example, see that entry for "Educational Technology" in the list...

When one gets reading on what the state really wants covered, it's pretty amazing stuff. "Digital Citizenship" is actually a required portion of the "Essential Academic Learning Requirements" section, (it's main category is Educational Technology) and for her level (3rd grade)- there are a 2; then are then drilled down to subcategories of fluency called, "GLE's" (Grade Level Expectations).

This is what the Grade Level Standards look like for that one category:

Grade: 3

1. INTEGRATION: Students use technology within all content areas to collaborate, communicate, generate innovative ideas, investigate and solve problems.

1.1 Innovate: Demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge and develop innovative products and processes using technology.

1.2 Collaborate: Use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.

1.3 Investigate and Think Critically: Research, manage and evaluate information and solve problems using digital tools and resources.

2. DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP: Students demonstrate a clear understanding of technology systems and operations and practice safe, legal and ethical behavior.

2.1 Practice Safety: Demonstrate safe, legal and ethical behavior in the use of information and technology.

2.2 Operate Systems: Understand technology systems and use hardware and networks to support learning.

2.3 Select and Use Applications: Use productivity tools and common applications effectively and constructively.

So to meet all 6 of the GLE points, I need to design and write a lesson plan for that.

In this case, I am using an online resource called Common Sense Media. I've blocked this course in on Wednesday's, on rotation every other week for one hour. The course is here: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/curriculum/k-5

Once that is done, I gather up the portfolio on it and have it looked over and stamped by the school.

By doing this, she meets portions of the Educational Technology requirements, and I have "proof" of it, and it's completely aligned and legal requirements.

I just want to point out that although the state has all this core curriculum, essential academic learning goals, and grade level expectations...I personally was not witnessing anything of depth in her classroom. I only saw reading and math pretty much every single day.

They must be weaving in the points in 2 minute bursts and crossing them off the list just from pressure alone.

Writing one course to standard was absolutely killer for me.

Story of the World as a base subject (Social Studies Core) I was able to design across the curriculum and encompass tons of requirements in a meaningful & quality academic way. Story of the World comprises 9.5 Hours a week of study alone.

I'm set her a space for an electronic blog that her school will have accessible 24/7 for review. Once every evening, she opens it, writes in it and reviews her work from the day. She can include whatever she wants in it. Photographs, videos she makes-it's just basically a journal. This counts as part of her portfolio package (and covers some more requirements also).

Some records I have to keep hard copy (final reviews/rubrics/grades) and take them in, but the majority of it will be stored digitally.

So you spent nearly 22 hours doing this...why?

How does this benefit your child's education...she's homeschooling now, right?

I would imagine that even the states with the strictest of hsing regs do not require a person to produce written learning plans that take dozens of hours to write.

(FWIW, I'm in a state that is pretty strict and I don't have to do that!)

I spent a lot more than 22 hours in writing this..lol...

It benefits her because it fits the criteria required by the ALE school (Alternative Learning Environment) she attends now. She is not a homeschooler, nor a traditional Public School Student. It's a completely different set of rules. http://www.rsd.edu/homelink/about/faq/

In her case, she is enrolled at 100%.

I would imagine that even the states with the strictest of hsing regs do not require a person to produce written learning plans that take dozens of hours to write.

We do not fall under homeschooling regulations, because the ALE is supervised under the State of Washington.

Wow, you have oodles (and oodles and OODLES) more patience with government regulations than I do!!!!

I totally commend your enthusiasm, good attitude, and hard work. But that being said, don’t forget that the vast majority of homeschoolers do not do what you are being asked (required) to do, and yet the average homeschool student far outperforms the average public school student (based on 2007-2008 school year data). I can tell already that your dd is going to do fabulously, simply because *you* are so motivated and working so hard to make it happen for her… but YOU are what is going to make her succeed, not all this craziness that is being asked of you (sorry, imho, it is crazy). I’m not trying to rain on your parade, I just don’t want you to think that it really has to be this complicated and regulated. I hate to think how many *great* homeschool parents would simply stop homeschooling if they were required to do what you are having to do… in my cynical moments, I think that is probably the motivation behind such strict regulations – to burden and intimidate parents into thinking that they don’t have the expertise or the time to educate their children… when in actuality, data shows otherwise!

Anyway, like I said, kudos to you! Just remember she is succeeding because of you, not all these regulations.

It's a heck of an eye-opener I'll tell ya! When I home schooled before, it was positively like going to a Woodstock concert in comparison to this.

When we first arrived on site today, we watched the middle/high school students going through an award ceremony. You want to talk about accomplishment in blazing amazement? Wow, these kids were stunning in what they've done for themselves. I was almost in tears, truly-man it was awesome to see.

Ya, getting through these hoops is not a lot of fun, but it's an education for me absolutely.

You guys would have absolutely died to see my 8 year old design a course in study skills...she went and opened excel, started doing the outlines and performance points..her little eyes going from requirements, to the textbook, breaking it down and I just sat there with my jaw hanging open.

She's been watching me all weekend go after this stuff. And she never once inquired, asked a question, showed any intense interest other than a casual glance.

Then today, we sat together and I said, "We are gonna do this thing for study skills."

"Oh, you mean a WLP?" (written learning plan-omg, she knows this term? :blink:)

"Ya."

"Okay Ma", wham, she opened up excel and went flying at it. I'm sitting there thinking to myself, "okay smarty pants..let's see how far you get..."

HOLY SMOKES! She totally nailed it.

Right from picking out the textbooks in the resource room "ah, this is more my level.." to programming the timeline of learning.

I cannot believe she did that. Still. Cannot. Believe.

Later tonight, I'm going to be spying on her to see if her ears have tips like a triangle that resemble a Vulcan or something. To say she surprised the heck out of me is an understatement and a half.

----------

I was just floored.

We have so much more work to do tonight, the place I went to today to place my order was unable to help me.

It's gonna be a long night with me & Rainbow Resource. I'm done playing around with this. I need to get the order in tomorrow.

Where did this subject list come from? It looks like something that evolved from people entering things over time into a database. Because, while the ALE laws have evolved into something that I refuse to comply with, I didn't think they were specifying all that.

My understanding is that these are the general areas you need to cover:

Reading

Writing (includes grammar and spelling)

Math

Science

Social studies

Physical education

Electives (may include art, music, foreign language)

There is a main top-tier of required subjects, just like you listed.

When you start breaking it (the actual work done) into subcategories, that's when the sub-catgories of additional GLE's and EALR's (and proof of those) come into play.

If I want to use materials, I have to prove what main and sub/categories it fits into along with the performance points.

I can do cross-curriculum work, and that's where I get the chance to get approval for additional materials.

If there is not an approved plan that shows what they call the "3 M's" with a timeline, then they aren't signing off on it.

The 3 M's being:

1. Materials

2. Movement

3. Mastery

I have to justify absolutely every course, with a minimum of 20 hours per week across the main categories.

She is, as an individual, going way beyond the minimums. It's basically boiling down to a customized IEP plan submitted for approval.

The actual (reality) schedule of time on task she'll be on is not going to be programmed in the system; I have to compress it. But that's a whole 'nother bag of tricks I'm learning as I go along.

The "Study Skills" course and block of time is going to be recorded as part of her LA top category.

My "reality schedule" for the books will look far different than what is getting submitted; but it still has to be justified and designed.

I believe that WA homeschool law requires 11 subject areas last I checked.

I'm struggling for the right word..it's going to hit me later..but I want to say it's like a feeder system of some kind.

I think there are also maximum allowances I'm going to have to revise also; on the first course overview today- even though it's a true 9.5 hours per week on task, I have to drop it down to a recorded hours of 5.

There's a page of important notes around here somewhere I have to go back and get. But for now, I have to switch roles and become Alice from the Brady Bunch.

Dinner..laundry..dishes..and some other essential stuff I've slacked on for a while..lol.

I guess I'm wondering why you aren't just homeschooling. Can you enroll in just the classes in the program? Or do you have to do the ALE thing to do the classes?

I can't remember if your daughter has been identified as highly capable. If so, at least in our district, things get much easier. Meaning you can essentially use any resources you want because they support the kid's ILP.

ALE has turned from a real alternative to a bureaucratic mess that makes you not only have to interpret and comply with the laws surrounding public education but also be responsible for teaching everything as well.

Here are the 11 subjects. I've put them into larger groupings. Whoever thought up this list wasn't much of a big picture thinker. It was probably generated by a committee whose members never actually met.

occupational education (whatever that is)

science

mathematics

language, reading, writing, spelling

social studies, history

health (physical education)

the development of an appreciation of art and music

...Originally Posted by unsinkable

I spent a lot more than 22 hours in writing this..lol...

It benefits her because it fits the criteria required by the ALE school (Alternative Learning Environment) she attends now. She is not a homeschooler, nor a traditional Public School Student. It's a completely different set of rules. http://www.rsd.edu/homelink/about/faq/

In her case, she is enrolled at 100%.

We do not fall under homeschooling regulations, because the ALE is supervised under the State of Washington.

OK, I got the 22 hours off of your first post.

Best of luck to you. It sounds like a bunch of inane hoop-jumping to me.

Wish me luck.

Lay down your arrows please. ;) No Tiger Hunting Please. :)

:grouphug: (Just in case some of you guys missed the quoted parts of the first post, I'm including them here. OP has covered in previous posts why she isn't HSing. We are all interested in what is best for the kids, right?)

:w00t: So glad your kid is going to get some individualized attention & will hopefully not run into the same type of issues she was in the PS.

:svengo: (Holy cow, that's a lot of work!)

:thumbup1: Good job, Mom.

:grouphug: (Just in case some of you guys missed the quoted parts of the first post, I'm including them here. OP has covered in previous posts why she isn't HSing. We are all interested in what is best for the kids, right?)

I guess I don't really have the time to go back over someone's entire posting history.

Wow, that's a lot of work, lol. We belong to an ALE here in WA and we don't have to do anything like that. Of course, ours doesn't buy us whatever books we want and we primarily just use it for a day of socialization for the kids, but I would flip if I had to do all that work.

This is her subject list. Lay down your arrows please. ;) No Tiger Hunting Please. :)

Arts

Biology

Blogging

Botany

Chemistry

Civics

Communications

Cursive/Handwriting

Digital Citizenship

Earth Science

Economics

Ecosystems

Educational Technology

Environmental Science

ESE

Evolution

Fine Arts

Fitness

General Science

Geography

Geology

Grammar

Health

History, Ancient

Human Biology

IES

Labs

Language

Library Science

Life Cycles

Life Science

Logic & Critical Thinking

Math

Music

Narration / Transcribing

Native American Studies

Occupational Education

Photography

Physical Science

Physics

Psychology

Reading

Science, General

Social Studies

Sociology

Space

Spelling

State History

Study Skills

Test Taking Skills

United States History

Writing

Zoology

Very cool! Good luck! :)

:w00t: So glad your kid is going to get some individualized attention & will hopefully not run into the same type of issues she was in the PS.

:svengo: (Holy cow, that's a lot of work!)

:thumbup1: Good job, Mom.

Wow, gee, thanks. :D

We homeschooled in an ALE last year and did not have to do anything like that detailed.

We had English, Math, History, P.E., Scouts, Science, and Electives/Fine Arts.

Some of these had "EALRs" but our SLPC (teacher) just cut and pasted them into our SLP and I never looked at them. Honestly, the SLPC agreed that we had a full, rich, challenging program (WTM) and did not need to tick through them point by point.

They did have classes twice a week but we did not avail ourselves of them.

I had to fill out a detailed monthly progress report (took about 1 hour), and we had to be in contact with her once a week by phone or email, and I had him take the standardized test at the end of the year (the one the public school kids take). That's all that was required.

I was able to buy curriculum and pay for classes with the money.

It was a great program and very easy. OP, is your SLPC really requiring you to do all that administrative work?

I had a meeting (well several, but I'll chat about just one) yesterday, lasted about 2 hours.

Boy did I learn a lot, walked out of there feeling like I learned how to build a nuclear bomb or something, my brain was definitely *full* when it was over. I got out to the building about 9:30 a.m. and didn't leave until around 5:30 p.m.

I'm going to try to condense that last meeting down to just a few sentences.

The ALE system is under scrutiny right now due to some folks finding loopholes in the system and being less than ethical about it. There is a serious possibility that the entire system could be ended in the next year. The ALE we attend is not one of "the bad apples" so to speak.

One of the reasons the participants (families and community) are exposed to so many details is so that the requirements as intended are done properly.

During the meeting I learned that the way I was interpreting the GLE/EALR is actually a real thing, but the "wiggle" room reality of it is that if one (including anyone in the public school system) were to draw, design, teach and adhere to every single itty bitty word, it would take 22 years to hit every single one for ONE single educational year.

So what they've done is boil it down to what is called "power-standards" (and the term is specific to my city/district and not others) for perfect compliance.

GLE/EALR's are still very valid and honest components of the system, but going forward, as I write each plan, I can now switch to the "power-standards" option and be on equal with what the general PS system does here and stay clearly within (if not above) the legal requirements of the law.

Power standards and their complexity compared to the full EALR/GLE system is the difference between a graduate thesis and the first day of kindergarten. They are vast worlds apart as far as time intensity.

That little piece of information was a mind-blower and caused some silence in the room while I recovered from it's realization. That's what I get for being so literal about ed text.

But on the whole, yes..the lesson plans, the written plan and overall oversight of each class and the progress of a student is rather formal and extremely through-both communication time and admin time.

Her first day there went well, I have the science texts picked out..and here's a short note about that piece.

I was under the impression that for "a class" that meant: 1 book + lesson plan written for that book.

WRONG

I can write the class (with approved curriculum included) but can use more than one text ****and**** write across subject areas.

The WLP (written learning plan) does have drop down/paste in EALR/GLE options. On my original journey into it, I stopped at each requirement and wrote a section or sentence or two on how that would be handled. I was going all NASA about it when I could have generalized. Whew! Whew! :svengo:

So I feel a lot better today about getting things finished for submission, it feels way less daunting; though I will be honest, if I had been required to do it the way I read it to be done; I'd still do it. The kid is worth it.

This is no chump fest by any means even with the new understanding I have of how to design them, it does cut my writing plan by about 90%-and that time is time I can spend teaching one-on-one.

I did switch some of her classes yesterday so that I can not "bypass" but meet the one hour a week requirement with a HQT (Highly Qualified Teacher)-she is now enrolled with a HQT once a week in a extra writing class, and that fulfills the one hour face to face time meeting space. The reason I chose that route is because there is an additional requirement of what is called a ESquared.

The ES is held once a month for four hours, it's basically a gathering of everyone for a "go team" social event. It gives the kids a chance to gather, say hello, the parents meeting up and playing nice, information exchange and a requirement of reality to who's actually attending the program. No ghost enrollments and accountability standards fall in here.

Ya gotta remember, my former life is that of an analyst and bean counter. I do everything by the letter of the law....

I also learned last night to chill on the ordering, because..this is how it is...if the items which I purchase through my budget are a non-consumable-those are returned to the ALE at the end of the year and then stored in the open resource room at the school. The materials are NOT for keeps.

So all my fretting on that was for nothing. I was trying to maximize the shelf life of the materials in the order-and now it makes not a bit of difference. When I buy the microscope, at the end of the year, I return it.

I have to commute in to this building with the kid every single day. Five days a week. That process alone encompasses two hours of a day.

I'm looking now at something to fill that time a little more productively. There are scads of audio materials in the library there; and I'll probably be picking up some of them today for the commute time. I also have my phone which I can play youtube on-but something for that time needs to go on.

I'm also signing up for a program today called ALEK-this is basically a database clone of Khan that monitors mathematical progress and will check fluency in strict sequential order by the smallest of skills. She cannot progress in the program until she shows mastery of the skill.

Finding out about this program was a huge relief for me. I'm so worried about what the last few years and what she could have missed that's causing so much friction and discouragement. It's really going to be helpful.

Today I'm going in to help her find her way through her second day on site, get my orders for all the Singapore in and finish writing the WLP (written learning plans). I'm hoping to have my feet on solid ground after today with all of this.

Then we enter phase two...lol...which is going to be a bit bumpy at first-but we'll get the hang of it.

These have been very long days.

They were on track for a EPGY but it hasn't been put into practice yet.

I've been over to the Stanford site: http://epgy.stanford.edu/ and have that in my notes to review deeper.

There is a STEM 2 hour block on Friday's, and I talked to them a little bit about that yesterday about enrolling in it; I think she would have to be assessed and enter it in the second semester-jumping in at this point could be a little confusing as it's a sequential skill class, she would be a bit lost as she didn't have the foundations from day one.

I'm using several mathematical styles in the beginning with Singapore as the base. Whichever program she clicks with best is (and I'm guessing it's going to be Singapore as the base) - what we'll stick with.

I'm currently using Singapore piecemeal, but am getting the very full guides today to overview and plan with. There is a wonderful parent there by the first name of Barb who is deeply educated on the program (and I'm not sure, but I think she's packing a high-end degree) and was helping me yesterday. She patiently listened to me and helped me sort out a plan of exploration.

So my thoughts as of this morning is to record Singapore as the base, but still incorporate the other materials on the side. The side materials being Khan, Spectrum, MEP and possibly some Kumon.

I just have to experiment some and find which one hits her learning style the best.

ALEK is going to satisfy Mr. Darling as an important feature. The graphs, charts, bar expression reports will really calm him down. He's really concerned (he's an engineer) about her skill gaps. Math is going to be the most difficult subject for her to catch up on.

It will give him something black and white to reflect on in a report style and give him some peace of mind. I think the fee for ALEK is about 90 dollars a year, not positive on that.

I'm hearing that Singapore has assessment points and tests, and I can do MAP testing at any time I feel the need-so overall with those components, I'm thinking it's a pretty through plan.

ALEK is not the core program, just a supplement for assessment purposes and to include in the formal portfolio presentations at review time.

Edited by one*mom