Menu

Kids and gas stoves/ovens

We've had electric stoves for the past 19 years. Now, we're moving into a house that has a gas stove. My kids have never seen one.

Between having an actual flame and the fact that sometimes the gas doesn't ignite, you have to be a bit more careful.

Do you allow your kids to cook on your gas stove? Or would you? Ages 9 and 11?

My 11 yo makes eggs & pancakes. Always with adult supervision. My 9 yo tries to flip pancakes. :D

My trick for lighting the burner is to not have anything on top of it. My DH always has the pot/pan on the burner & it takes him longer to get the burner to light.

At 9 and 11, yes, with supervision the first however many times it took for me to be comfortable that they knew how it worked. And after that I'd have a "not w/o permission and an adult present in the home" rule.

We have gas and I do let my 10 yr old and 14 yr old cook on it. Ours has electric ignition, though, with just the push of a button, so there are not matches and such involved.

My DD has been using the gas stove under supervision since she was 11 and at 14 is now independently cooking and baking.

My DS has shown not much interest and has been cooking with my help on rare occasions.

The only real danger is if the gas is not turning off should the automatic lighter fail; your stove should automatically do this. I find cooking with gas to be safer (as in fewer burns) because you can see the flame - as opposed to a still hot electric plate which does not look different from a cold one.

The most dangerous aspect of having children cook is scalding, IMO! Draining a big pot of pasta, for instance. That danger is equal with gas/electric.

We had a very old gas stove when ds was younger. He started cooking around 8ish or 9ish, but he did have safety rules to follow:

Nothing on the stove except the pot being used.

Cooking utensil always had to be in your hand or on the spoon rest.

Most important - after turning the stove on, count to 5. If it does not ignite, then turn it off immediately.

10-13 yes, with adult supervision

14 up - independent

Part of cook training here is not to put objects on the stove that don't belong there. Spatulas go on a plate or spoon rest on counter.

You'll need to train for safety re: long sleeves and hair; also smaller children may be fascinated by the flames so need to out of the kitchen when the front burners are on. Dads may need to be advised that toasting marshmallows over the open flame while small fry watch isn't advisable -- they may try to replicate that one on their own another day at snack time.

lol! Oh my, we made s'mores all the time! But we only had one ds at the time :D

We've had electric stoves for the past 19 years. Now, we're moving into a house that has a gas stove. My kids have never seen one.

Between having an actual flame and the fact that sometimes the gas doesn't ignite, you have to be a bit more careful.

Do you allow your kids to cook on your gas stove? Or would you? Ages 9 and 11?

I cooked on a gas range when I was younger then that. Mom and Dad just made sure I knew how to put any fires that might happen because of the flame.

I've had gas stoves for 15 years now, and never found failure to light to be a problem-- I must live a charmed life :). Not noticing the gas would not be a problem-- they put in an additive to make it smell like rotten eggs-- unless your sense of smell is severely damanged, you really cannot miss it!

My DS8 and DS10 both cook on the stove with me in the room, and both are resigned to the fact that my husband and I will repeat warnings to them about stove top safety whether they think they need them or not. I have two boys who love UnderArmour and buzz cuts, so floppy sleeves and long hair are not an issue in our house.

I always set out a plate for setting down spatulas and things, and have a hot pad at the ready for grabbing anything. I use pots that are overly deep if they are cooking to help prevent startling overflows that might cause them to overreact.

I find gas to be much safer than electric, because you can see for sure when it is on, and you can leave a pot on the hot grating until it has cooled off without fear of warping the pan, since it does cool off so quickly, so pan on grating = hot grating, do not touch. You can't really do that as easily with an electric stove (unless you add water to the bottom or something).

Have fun-- cooking with them is so much fun!