Menu

Anyone else wonder if 1E can lead to 2E?

SKL

My dd4 has never historically given me cause for concern about problematic exceptionalities. She was always calm and quiet, a little ahead of the curve socially, great communicator, no behavior problems at school, just a little below average on large motor stuff.

But lately, as her academic learning has really taken off, she seems to be developing "stuff," such as occasional hyperactivity and foolishness. I really believe this is related to the fact that her brain needs something to do. If I tell her something that makes her think, it calms her right down.

What do you other parents of gifted kids think about this? Is her brain hyperactive and making her body follow along? Does giftedness feed diagnosable "problems"? If so, can earlier, better intervention prevent this?

I think that behaviors normal for gifted children can look like 2e, especially in a school setting. I also think our perceptions can be altered such that behaviors normal for all children seem abnormal when the child is so advanced in other areas. For example, I struggle with my DD not wanting to sit down and pay attention in co-op, because I KNOW she can do so in other settings, without thinking about the fact that ALL the kids in her group are wiggling like jumping beans. How is it bad, in a room of 6-10 yr olds, for her to act like a 6-10 yr old, even though she can act like an adult when she's in a room with adults? But my EXPECTATIONS of her are that she's going to act like an adult.

And, of course, there's always the possibility that there was a 2e issue all along, and that it's only becoming obvious as the child ages. What is normal for a 2 yr old is a problem for a 6 yr old.

My dd4 has never historically given me cause for concern about problematic exceptionalities. She was always calm and quiet, a little ahead of the curve socially, great communicator, no behavior problems at school, just a little below average on large motor stuff.

But lately, as her academic learning has really taken off, she seems to be developing "stuff," such as occasional hyperactivity and foolishness. I really believe this is related to the fact that her brain needs something to do. If I tell her something that makes her think, it calms her right down.

What do you other parents of gifted kids think about this? Is her brain hyperactive and making her body follow along? Does giftedness feed diagnosable "problems"? If so, can earlier, better intervention prevent this?

She's only 4. Some craziness and foolishness is to be expected and welcomed (at least at home, LOL; this from the mom whose kids will bark and crawl under the chairs, in train fashion, in the doctor's waiting room).

It's great that you've already found a way to help her when that's happening, but you haven't described the circumstances or the behavior. Without more, I don't see adhd in what you wrote. Unless it's a problem at school (and you need to be aware of this possibility because you won't be there to give her brain something to do), I wouldn't give it another thought. And if it were a problem at school, I'd look to issues of underchallenge first before I'd be thinking about adhd.

She's only 4. Some craziness and foolishness is to be expected and welcomed (at least at home, LOL; this from the mom whose kids will bark and crawl under the chairs, in train fashion, in the doctor's waiting room).

It's great that you've already found a way to help her when that's happening, but you haven't described the circumstances or the behavior. Without more, I don't see adhd in what you wrote. Unless it's a problem at school (and you need to be aware of this possibility because you won't be there to give her brain something to do), I wouldn't give it another thought. And if it were a problem at school, I'd look to issues of underchallenge first before I'd be thinking about adhd.

For example, sometimes if she's waiting for something to happen or waiting for her turn, she'll shake her hands around and act impatient. Sometimes she'll get loud and boistrous. These are not things she did when she was younger. She also has a tendency to "jump the gun" and assume she has permission to do stuff when she doesn't. For example, when I come to pick up the kids, she runs into the KG room (sister's class) and checks out who's where on the day's behavior chart and plays with the toys at the "stations." (After being corrected repeatedly, she no longer pulls the toys out, but she just "has" to at least touch them.) Basically she's a little too "proactive" for her age and rank.

Another example is shoe tying. She learned at 3 and was doing great, but lately she doesn't pay attention to what she's doing, so the shoe is tied so loosely that it keeps coming untied a dozen more times. She's been told 100 times to pay attention and make sure it's snug. But her eyes are everywhere but on her shoe.

For example, sometimes if she's waiting for something to happen or waiting for her turn, she'll shake her hands around and act impatient. Sometimes she'll get loud and boistrous. These are not things she did when she was younger. She also has a tendency to "jump the gun" and assume she has permission to do stuff when she doesn't. For example, when I come to pick up the kids, she runs into the KG room (sister's class) and checks out who's where on the day's behavior chart and plays with the toys at the "stations." (After being corrected repeatedly, she no longer pulls the toys out, but she just "has" to at least touch them.) Basically she's a little too "proactive" for her age and rank.

Another example is shoe tying. She learned at 3 and was doing great, but lately she doesn't pay attention to what she's doing, so the shoe is tied so loosely that it keeps coming untied a dozen more times. She's been told 100 times to pay attention and make sure it's snug. But her eyes are everywhere but on her shoe.

Sounds like a 4-year-old to me. :)

I have wondered this in an amorphous way that I couldn't quite put into words:D. Thanks for the words;).

I have found with my oldest that being provided with something to THINK about does wonders. I do wonder about my expectations, though--what's normal???? :lol:

There is a book on the misdiagnosis of gifted kids, how giftedness also causes things that often mimic OCD, ADD, and so forth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0910707677/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0910707642&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G6CFAWWF4RT3JNMQBX8

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is particularly a case for children who are in a traditional classroom environment, like you've mentioned your DD is.

Sounds like a 4-year-old to me. :)

Yes, me too.

Maybe she is assuming that because she knows how to do it she doesn't have to pay attention? My son is 4 on Sunday, though, and this sounds very typical. I was recently reminded by a developmental psychologist that just because his brain can do things bigger kids can do, don't expect his body to be able to. Four-year-olds are impulsive and curious. :)

It sounds very "four" to me. Something I've caught myself doing far too often with my DS (also 4) is thinking that a behaviour is a problem or in appropriate, until I take a step back and realise that I'm expecting him to behave at the same level he can talk / reason. If I strip back those expectations and rethink in terms of "normal" four year old, his behaviour is very age appropriate.

It sounds very "four" to me. Something I've caught myself doing far too often with my DS (also 4) is thinking that a behaviour is a problem or in appropriate, until I take a step back and realise that I'm expecting him to behave at the same level he can talk / reason. If I strip back those expectations and rethink in terms of "normal" four year old, his behaviour is very age appropriate.

Exactly. The Drama is 4 too, so I see this a lot.

Four-year-olds are impulsive and curious. :)

This is probably a better description than what I was thinking: Four year olds are crazy. :lol:

Really, it's such a hard age! I remember my oldest being worst at age 4. He's never been horrible, but man, 4 was hard! He turned 5, and instantly he was so much better! My middle son is 4 now, about to turn 5 in less than 2 weeks. I'm so looking forward to 5 with him!!!! Though I do suspect something is going on with him (not ADHD, but he has some sensory issues, a bit of OCD, and some overexcitabilities). So far, my middle son doesn't have any learning disabilities, so even if he were found to be "gifted", I wouldn't call him 2E. He has some issues, but they aren't currently affecting his academics at all.

I have always said that my DS does *nothing* very poorly. When I keep him exhausted both in mind and body, we are all much happier.

During this school holidays (past 2 weeks), on a couple of slow days ds(11) became almost manic -- sped up speech, complete lack of focus on one activity for more than about 1 minute, squiggling, jumping, distractable. This is just a sign that he needs to get back to quadratic optimization!

Ruth in NZ

There is a book on the misdiagnosis of gifted kids, how giftedness also causes things that often mimic OCD, ADD, and so forth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0910707677/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0910707642&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G6CFAWWF4RT3JNMQBX8

This is an excellent resource for parents of gifted kids.

Another one in the "she sounds like she is 4" camp. I do agree though that more "academic" stuff can help some kids. Challenging her brain is the only thing that kept DD 5.5 calm enough to get her through 4 alive. That and plenty of BIG motor activity, like climbing high and hanging upside down or pushing a really heavy wheel barrow. If she had both those things we were all happy. Five has been so much easier.