Menu

best treatment, medication, something for sinus pressure

Anyone have a great way to relieve sinus pressure? I have been under the weather for about a week, but my sinuses are really starting to bother me. It's so bad on one side that my upper teeth are hurting. Any great remedies out there??? Please? I don't have time for this - I have company coming in this weekend!!

Tooth pain can be an indicator of an infection - do you have a fever? Try tapping on the sinus area where you feel the pressure - sharp pain?

Warm saline rinses, ibuprofen, and lots of fluids are a good way to start. You could also add something like Mucinex. If that doesn't work, I'd start trying actual decongestants (REAL pseudofed works - you have to ask the pharmacist now). Stay away from OTC nose sprays - the docs have some that are better - but I can't stand them.

What do y'all mean by "the kind you get from the pharmacist," or "behind the counter"? Do I need a prescription for these???

Also, on the infection issue - this might be TMI - the stuff coming out of my nose is clear. I thought it would, er, ickier-colored if I had an infection.

Part of my problem is that I really don't have a doctor. I have a gynecologist. I rarely get sick. Another part of my problem is that I don't have time to be sick. :glare: I know I am not alone in this.

What do y'all mean by "the kind you get from the pharmacist," or "behind the counter"? Do I need a prescription for these???

Also, on the infection issue - this might be TMI - the stuff coming out of my nose is clear. I thought it would, er, ickier-colored if I had an infection.

Part of my problem is that I really don't have a doctor. I have a gynecologist. I rarely get sick. Another part of my problem is that I don't have time to be sick. :glare: I know I am not alone in this.

Drug laws require sudafed to be sold through the pharmacy behind the counter. No prescription needed for Sudafed! You will probably have to sign something and show your drivers license. It's the good stuff though when you have sinus pressure. The stuff on the shelf is useless.

I've been told color doesn't matter. If you don't have a fever, you might be ok. But I get SI's without fever. If I let it go too long, I'll get the fever and then I'm down for days.

You can call a clinic and get an appointment without being in that practice. Going through a larger clinic will help because they generally are prepared for drop-ins that don't really have a Dr.

I usually try the nasal rinse and sudefed for a few days before I head in to the doctor. Sometimes, I can clear it up and it's just really bad congestion. But usually if I get to the point of pain in my teeth, it's too far gone and needs anitibiotics.

I just finished a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. The stuff out of my nose was clear, but thicker. It doesn't have to be nasty to be an infection.

I have struggled with sinus problems for a long time. I have now realized two signs that mean I have a sinus infection no matter what else is going on in my head. Pain in my teeth and/or a migraine that won't go away with my migraine med.

Do you have an urgent care around that you could pop into? I felt so much better once I got some antibiotics! Well, I had to get an allergy shot as well :glare:

Hope you feel better soon! It's miserable. I think I'm going to look into replacing our humidifier...totally forgot that that helps too!

when I start to get sick, I'll drinkn LOTS of water along with taking mucinex (it thins mucus). Usually, it will keep things draining so an infection doesn't develop.

If I get an infection, I've discovered homeopathic remedies - and they work! Kali Bichromicum and Kali Muriaticum are available from super supplements as a coating on a sugar pill (you cannot touch the pill, or you'll reduce the coating you need to ingest.) there are guides where the homeopathic remidies are to help you know which will best meet your symptoms, including for where you are in your congested sinus stage.

after one particularly nasty infection (lots of pain and pressure, stinky breath, etc), I just didn't want to do another round of anti-biotics and tried them. They worked.

Sudafed, the real thing not the new fake that does not work. Full dose.

(60mg IIRC)

Then Neti Pot with saline rinse.

Then wash dishes over a very steamy sink for 3 hours straight, OR put boiling water in a bowl and breathe over with a towel over your head to hold in the steam for about 1/2 an hour.

In my state, as of late July of 2011, one does need a prescription to get Sudafed.

I got an anti-biotic. The Z-pac 5 day thingie. I am hopeful that will knock it out.

I have only had this happen one other time (with the teeth hurting thing) and it was over ten years ago.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry about your parents.

Can you lobby for a holiday cruise instead? ;)

I find some visits stressful, as well, and one thing that helps me is to plan something special to look forward to immediately afterward, so that I'm thinking ahead to that during the visit.

I hope you're feeling better soon! When I read your symptoms, I thought to myself, well, the last time I thought I had a sinus infection, and the right side of my face and teeth hurt because of it, it actually turned out to be...PREECLAMPSIA!!! :001_huh: Mine came with a migraine, too, though, so you're good... :lol: