Menu

1st cousin once removed v. 2nd cousin: what is the difference???

Can someone please draw me a diagram???

My first cousin (my mom's sister's daughter) is coming to visit us this weekend. Please tell me what my ds's relationship is to her. And then explain the difference between whatever that is and the other one. I have NEVER known. :D

My first cousin (my mom's sister's daughter) is coming to visit us this weekend. Please tell me what my ds's relationship is to her. And then explain the difference between whatever that is and the other one. I have NEVER known. :D

She is your ds's first cousin once removed. Removed is a term to tell how many generations they are separated by. Your first cousin is your child's first cousin once removed.

If you share the same grandparents (and you aren't siblings), then you are first cousins. If you have the same great-grandparents (and you aren't siblings), then you are second cousins.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
Clarity

Your ds would be her first cousin once removed. Your ds and any children she may have would be second cousins.

So, I guess you could say it goes by "generations" by lack of a better term. You and your cousin are "first cousins". Children of a first cousin are "once removed" from you. Second cousins are your children and children of your first cousins.

Clear as mud? :D

First cousin once removed is a first cousin a generation off. So your children would recognize your first cousin as a first cousin once removed. If SHE had children, then they would be your children's second cousins.

Second cousins -- parents are first cousins.

Here's a chart as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:European_kinship_system_en.svg

And another chart, but less easy to understand IMO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin#Explanation_chart

Your first cousins are your children's (your ds's) first cousins once removed..

Diagram here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin#Cousin_chart

if you and your cousin share the same degree from your common ancestor, both share great grandparents, that's second cousins...

but the first cousin once removed is a common ancestor in that they share a common grandparent (for your cousin) and great-grandparents for your ds..

Cousins have always been confusing to me. What about this one?

I have a grandmother who has a sister, who has a son that's my age. I've always been close to him. Of course, I just call him my cousin....but what's he really? 2nd cousin? 3rd? Something removed?

He and your parent would be first cousins. You would be his first cousin once removed.

I quit trying to figure that out a loooooooong time ago.

They're all cousins. They might even be cousins if they aren't even remotely related by any blood or marriage.

Cousin is not just a word to describe the children of my parents' siblings. It is also the blanket term for "person at a family function that I don't know for sure is my relative but probably might as well be."

ETA: My husband, who comes from a MUCH more fecund family than mine, has finally also accepted this way of thinking about and addressing family members (or possible family members). It's just so much easier than saying, "this is my sister's husband's uncle's daughter-in-law."

Edited by Audrey

Your first cousins are your children's (your ds's) first cousins once removed..

Diagram here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin#Cousin_chart

if you and your cousin share the same degree from your common ancestor, both share great grandparents, that's second cousins...

but the first cousin once removed is a common ancestor in that they share a common grandparent (for your cousin) and great-grandparents for your ds..

Thanks for posting this. I have always wondered how to label my bio-children's relationship to dd4 (my half-great-niece).

They are half-first cousins once removed. LOL

How about we stick with 'sister' or 'cousin'.....:D

She is your ds's first cousin once removed. Removed is a term to tell how many generations they are separated by. Your first cousin is your child's first cousin once removed.

If you share the same grandparents (and you aren't siblings), then you are first cousins. If you have the same great-grandparents (and you aren't siblings), then you are second cousins.

:iagree:

My mother is the only other person who can explain this easily and readily :001_smile: It's so simple :glare: and she doesn't understand WHY people find it difficult. I wouldn't know either if I hadn't heard her explain it to everyone on the planet (only when it comes up. She's not pushy or weird or anything).

Down south we just say kin. Anyone related to you in any way is kin and sometimes if you live in a small town that could be the whole town. ;)

That sounds like an eminently sensible way to do it :lol:

Now, while the experts are here, my question is: how does divorce and remarriage effect these official designations? Eg, my husband's half sister is married to a man who has grown up kids from a previous marriage. Are they my half-step-nieces-in-law? Or are they technically no relation to me at all? (Obviously this makes no material difference, they're still lovely people! But when you're as pernickity as me, it's nice to know ;) )

That sounds like an eminently sensible way to do it :lol:

Now, while the experts are here, my question is: how does divorce and remarriage effect these official designations? Eg, my husband's half sister is married to a man who has grown up kids from a previous marriage. Are they my half-step-nieces-in-law? Or are they technically no relation to me at all? (Obviously this makes no material difference, they're still lovely people! But when you're as pernickity as me, it's nice to know ;) )

Ha, good question!!

This reminds me of a project I had to do in college-- it was a family tree but I remember having to include divorced and former in-laws, step-relatives, etc. My parents both have been married multiple times and the half-siblings, step-siblings, (and even ex-step siblings, oy) all had to be designated on the tree. It took me FOREVER to figure out and get it right... and it was just for my "immediate" family (although it contained over 20-something people:001_huh:).

I remember getting ready to hand it in and I caught a glimpse of the gal's tree that was in line in front of me-- which consisted of 3 names; her 2 parents and her! :eek:

I totally should have gotten extra credit!:tongue_smilie: