Menu

As-is merchandise at Ikea

So, this has been irking me for a couple weeks.

We went to Ikea and I bought about $2500 of stuff over 2 trips. I'm just saying that you so you know I bought a decent amount of stuff. We'd just moved and had rooms that weren't in our old house that needed furniture because they were empty.

One item we bought was a small pillow.

It isn't expensive. That's NOT the issue.

But when I got it home, I realized it was marked as-is and had a big smear of snot on it.

It was NOT in the as-is department- it was on the regular Showroom floor.

I tried to return it the next time I was at Ikea (a few days later) and they refused because it was as-is. I explained the issue, how it was on the regular showroom floor... how would I know it was as-is without opening the zipper to see inside the pillow, etc...

My main point to them was that I don't think of Ikea as a thrift store for purchasing used merchandise. If I want used Ikea I go to the as-is department. I *assume* the Showroom floor has only new merchandise.

Anyway, they refused. I emailed Ikea corporate. (Again, this pillow was cheap, it is NOT the money, it is the principle!)

They just forwarded it to the Orlando store and the Orlando store did not respond to that.

Anyway, I keep telling myself to get over it and just :chillpill: but would that irritate you, too?

Oh, and if anyone wants a snot-streaked red and white floral Ektorp roll pillow, I'll sell you one for $6 ;).

The as-is part is on a different floor from the showroom.

And the pillow was in a bin of other pillows (all new, I assume). The price is hanging on a large sign above the bin. I picked up the pillow and threw it in my cart.

The price tag that is scanned at the register is inside the pillow- you unzip the pillow case and pull out the tag... THAT tag is the one that said As-Is.

The only way I would have seen it in the store before purchasing would be if I had unzipped the pillow to make sure it was new...

Oh, and I was just asking for a refund- but they don't refund as-is merchandise. I'm not asking for anything crazy. And I had receipts to prove that I'd purchased a lot in the last few days.

Oh, and this is NOT a "Just Agree With Me" thread, haha! I hope I don't sound defensive! I welcome all viewpoints! ;)

No exchanges allowed, either. I would have paid the difference between as-is and new.

I have had this conversation in my head- like I know I have a washing machine, and I could wash it, but it had a few small pet hairs and the snot and I just thought it was gross and I do NOT have pets and I prefer non-snot-smeared things. Maybe I'm just picky that way... ;)

I can understand your frustration. :grouphug: But I also understand that stores sell things "as is" and won't refund for them. Period. And even if the "as is" department is on another floor (we have an Ikea we frequent all the time but it is only one floor - HUGE) customers pick things up and change their minds and can't be bothered to put it back. That isn't the store's fault. UNLESS they sell "as is" merchandise *only* through a register in the "as is" department.

Throw it in the washing machine. :D

(Lesson learned - inspect items before buying them for stains, tears, snot. Even items in the regular part of the store can be snotted on, torn, dirty, etc. from people rifling through stuff, dropping things on the floor and leaving them there, etc.)

No exchanges allowed, either. I would have paid the difference between as-is and new.

I have had this conversation in my head- like I know I have a washing machine, and I could wash it, but it had a few small pet hairs and the snot and I just thought it was gross and I do NOT have pets and I prefer non-snot-smeared things. Maybe I'm just picky that way... ;)

:confused: That's awfully picky. . . How much time does it take to throw it into the washing machine? And how much time have you spent arguing with them?

I've always thought Ikea was way overrated. I think their furniture is overpriced for the quality and their service is even worse than that. I've found much better pieces for less money in higher-end furniture stores. In fact, just two days ago, I bought a fabulous dresser for my son at a very nice furniture store for $187...simply because it had been a floor sample and they rotate those every 4-6 months and sell them at a huge discount afterwards. Not a scratch on it anywhere. At Ikea, a dresser half the size and made of less quality materials sells for $199. My suggestion would be to avoid them in the future. As for the pillow, I think you're stuck...per their lousy customer service. I doubt they'll even respond to you again.

I appreciate all of the responses.

I read them to my husband. He offered to wash it and take it and use it as his lumbar support pillow at his desk in his classroom. Fine by me!

Problem solved.

And yes, Diane, their quality is not the greatest on some stuff... I like their bookshelves though. and their Melltorp table is a great desk... and... a few thousand dollars later, yeah...

But those Billy bookshelves are so terrible!! Don't buy them, people! They break in about a week! We learned that like 4 moves ago... no more, no more!

I'd be annoyed and I think you have a valid complaint as the as is tag was not visible. That being said- you tried, they had poor customer service and you may as well forget about it b/c it is causing more stress than it is worth now. Sorry- very gross and frustrating.

I am leaning back on some IKEA pillows right now, that I bought a couple of weeks ago through the self-check-out, and I know exactly what you mean about the tag's being hidden. I had to unzip the pillows to scan the tags, and it was a PAIN. There is no way I would have noticed an "as is" sticker on there, and IKEA should know that.

You are right to be annoyed.

Terri

I think this is a good faith issue. The vast majority of stores would have been happy to exchange it, and most would have allowed you to refund it as well - policy or not. The general rule is "make the customer happy" with a few rules in place to keep people from getting away with dishonest nonsense.

I know what my husband would do... he would bring in the OTHER $2500 worth of merchandise and say "fine, I'll keep the pillow... but you'll have to refund me for this stuff, because I'm buying it somewhere else."

I think this is a good faith issue. The vast majority of stores would have been happy to exchange it, and most would have allowed you to refund it as well - policy or not. The general rule is "make the customer happy" with a few rules in place to keep people from getting away with dishonest nonsense.

Yes, it would bother me on these grounds. I thought Ikea had pretty good customer service! I'm surprised to hear this.

Anyway, they refused. I emailed Ikea corporate. (Again, this pillow was cheap, it is NOT the money, it is the principle!)

They just forwarded it to the Orlando store and the Orlando store did not respond to that.

My husband has worked in management for retail and restaurants forever. If he ever received a complaint that was sent to corporate after not being resolved at the store level and he didn't do anything about it, heads would roll. It sounds normal for Ikea, though.

I would be annoyed. I think the person at the register could have called it to your attention when you purchased your items . . . something quick such "Just so you are aware, there are no refunds or exchanges on "as is" merchandise." That way you would have realized the item had a potential problem. I also think, after your explanation, they should have offered you a refund or exchange - I think a little customer service in such a situation goes such a loooong way. I like Ikea but if I had an experience such as yours I would be thinking twice about going back . . .

Edited by jelbe5