Menu

There is a homeschooling poll in Parade magazine (link)

“If upheld, the California ruling will send shock waves nationwide,†says Richard Kahlenberg, the author of a number of books on education. He says the case “pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those who place a premium on well-educated citizens.†*

*quote from the parade article

What irks me about this statement is that he seems to see those things, "parental rights" and "well-educated citizens", are not compatible. I want to protect my parental rights so I can have a son who is a well-educated citizen.

:smash:

I have not kept up with the situation in CA, but what are they going to do about teachers in private schools? You don't need certification to teach in a private school. Would they then require all private school teachers get their certification?

I have not kept up with the situation in CA, but what are they going to do about teachers in private schools? You don't need certification to teach in a private school. Would they then require all private school teachers get their certification?

No, and that was addressed in the original ruling. Basically, the judge argued that in a school setting, there were levels of accountability within the hierarchy of a school that don't exist in individual families. I think he made a plausible, if tenuous, argument...

:iagree:

“If upheld, the California ruling will send shock waves nationwide,†says Richard Kahlenberg, the author of a number of books on education. He says the case “pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those who place a premium on well-educated citizens.†*

What irks me about this statement is that he seems to see those things, "parental rights" and "well-educated citizens", are not compatible. I want to protect my parental rights so I can have a son who is a well-educated citizen.

I noticed the same thing. Perhaps one of our children, afflicted with parents' who enjoy having their rights, should correct his fallacious thinking. :D

This was the FIRST thing that jumped out at me when I read this article, too. Wonder how THIS guy leans on homeschooling......LOL

"fallacious thinking" is the correct way to word it!!

Do they think we parents are really that dumb?

It doesn't take teaching credentials to know how to teach.

If teaching credentials is all it takes then

why have I seen students who have graduated from our school system who can't add money if their live depended on it!!

They really think a teacher can do a better job??

My 7 year old knows more then some of the graduates I've worked with!!

(Not to say that all teachers are bad.)

I think the title was probably designed to be catchy more than anything else. Word of this poll gets around. I found this post doing a search for Parade because I'd already voted before logging on. It wouldn't suprise me if this influences the results; I wouldn't have gone to read Parade if I hadn't heard of the poll:001_smile:

That irked me as well.

If upheld, the California ruling will send shock waves nationwide,†says Richard Kahlenberg, the author of a number of books on education. He says the case “pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those who place a premium on well-educated citizens.â€
quote from the parade article

Honey, he doesn't *seem* to be saying that. He is saying that. That statement means: if you homeschool you cannot produce well-educated children. The fact that it is the only quote of it's kind in the blurb of an article tells me that the author and/or editor feels the same way about homeschooling.

I don't want to jump all over him, because I'm a give-it-the-benefit-of-the-doubt kinda gal. Perhaps his comments are taken out of context, misquoted, or poorly thought out beforehand. But, the statement in the article, as it stands, is implying Home Education = Bad Education.