Menu

Very best gluten free cookbook is . . . ?

My eldest daughter was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance during her senior year of high school. She is away at college and comes home infrequently. As a result, we've never really learned a whole lot about cooking and eating gluten free. I certainly know the basics, and have researched the issue, but I don't have any GF cookbooks or great recipes (other than an awesome rum cake recipe I modified using the Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix).

She is, however, returning home for both Christmas and Spring breaks this year, and I would love to be ready with one or two really fantastic gluten free cookbooks.

She was a picky eater even before digestive troubles began. Not very adventuresome at all. And the rest of us are pseudo-foodies who have high standards for food. Not super gourmet, but maybe a step up from your average cookbook.

Oh, and since she's coming for Christmas, I'd especially be interested in some gluten-free holiday classics.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give!! :)

don't have a cookbook but use this recipe for chocolate cake/cupcakes and it is super duper fabulous! let the cake/cupcakes cool completely or they will taste funny.

My all-purpose flour mix

> >

> > 2 Cup White Rice Flour

> > 2/3 Cup Potato Starch (Not Potato Flour)

> > 1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour

> > 1 tsp xantham gum

> >

> > Mix well in bowl..I use a ziploc bag to store it in

> >

> >

> > Cake Recipe

> >

> > 2 Cups Sugar

> > 1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour Mix

> > 3/4 Cups Hershy's Cocoa Powder

> > 2 tsp Baking Powder

> > 2 tsp Baking Soda

> > 1 tsp Salt

> > 2 Eggs

> > 1 C. Milk (or milk alternative, I use almond milk)

> > 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil

> > 2 tsp. Vanilla

> > 1 C. Boiling Water

> >

> > Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch baking pans.

> >

> > Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. STIR in boiling water..the batter will be very thin..

> >

> > Bake 30-35 minutes. I test by lightly pressing top, if it springs back, it is finished. If it feels mushy leave in oven another 5 minutes.

> >

> > Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans

> >

> > Icing:

> >

> > 1 stick of butter (I use Earth Balance stick, if you can tolerate butter..then use butter..not margarine)

> > 2/3 Cup Hershey Cocoa

> > 3 Cups Powdered Sugar

> > 1/3 Cup milk (once again I use almond milk)

> > 1 tsp vanilla

> >

> > Melt butter, stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beat on med speed. stir in vanilla. add more milk if needed to get to spreading conststency.

> >

> > If you can tolerate milk products, you can use regular milk and butter (not margarine)

:bigear::bigear:

Mil and I are going gluten free. My sister was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance and some of my digestive troubles mirror hers though not to the same intensity. MIL stumbled on it when visiting dh's sister in Florida. SIL has been having some digestive troubles for a year and her doctor recommended she try GF even though she didn't test positive for a sensitivity. She says it has made a world of difference to her. Nine days of eating that way for my MIL convinced her. She said she felt clearer headed, more regular, no bloating after eating, etc.

So, I'd love to have recipes and in particular, some sort of white bread recipe that is really light and fluffy so that Wonderbread Boy - oh excuse me, I mean rocket man husband - will not moan and groan about bread. He wants to try GF since it's working so well for his sister and mom but he is a white bread addict and is convinced that any homemade bread not made with white, white, white wheat based flour will be as heavy as a brick.

Faith

:bigear::bigear:

Mil and I are going gluten free. My sister was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance and some of my digestive troubles mirror hers though not to the same intensity. MIL stumbled on it when visiting dh's sister in Florida. SIL has been having some digestive troubles for a year and her doctor recommended she try GF even though she didn't test positive for a sensitivity. She says it has made a world of difference to her. Nine days of eating that way for my MIL convinced her. She said she felt clearer headed, more regular, no bloating after eating, etc.

So, I'd love to have recipes and in particular, some sort of white bread recipe that is really light and fluffy so that Wonderbread Boy - oh excuse me, I mean rocket man husband - will not moan and groan about bread. He wants to try GF since it's working so well for his sister and mom but he is a white bread addict and is convinced that any homemade bread not made with white, white, white wheat based flour will be as heavy as a brick.

Faith

Best of luck, Faith! :grouphug:

For what it's worth, my daughter has been through two complete rounds of testing by two excellent GIs. Each time she had the upper endoscopy. And nobody's ever found a shred of evidence for Celiac.

BUT . . . she and I basically self-diagnosed her. Her three years of migraines, crippling abdominal pain, and alternating diarrhea/constipation have all disappeared. It took a whopping 24 hours of her giving up gluten before she experienced an improvement.

So I know there are definitely cases where the diet makes a massively positive impact even though the tests show absolutely zero.

No wonder this is such a notoriously difficult condition to diagnose!

don't have a cookbook but use this recipe for chocolate cake/cupcakes and it is super duper fabulous! let the cake/cupcakes cool completely or they will taste funny.

My all-purpose flour mix

> >

> > 2 Cup White Rice Flour

> > 2/3 Cup Potato Starch (Not Potato Flour)

> > 1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour

> > 1 tsp xantham gum

> >

> > Mix well in bowl..I use a ziploc bag to store it in

> >

> >

> > Cake Recipe

> >

> > 2 Cups Sugar

> > 1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour Mix

> > 3/4 Cups Hershy's Cocoa Powder

> > 2 tsp Baking Powder

> > 2 tsp Baking Soda

> > 1 tsp Salt

> > 2 Eggs

> > 1 C. Milk (or milk alternative, I use almond milk)

> > 1/2 C. Vegetable Oil

> > 2 tsp. Vanilla

> > 1 C. Boiling Water

> >

> > Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9 inch baking pans.

> >

> > Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. STIR in boiling water..the batter will be very thin..

> >

> > Bake 30-35 minutes. I test by lightly pressing top, if it springs back, it is finished. If it feels mushy leave in oven another 5 minutes.

> >

> > Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans

> >

> > Icing:

> >

> > 1 stick of butter (I use Earth Balance stick, if you can tolerate butter..then use butter..not margarine)

> > 2/3 Cup Hershey Cocoa

> > 3 Cups Powdered Sugar

> > 1/3 Cup milk (once again I use almond milk)

> > 1 tsp vanilla

> >

> > Melt butter, stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beat on med speed. stir in vanilla. add more milk if needed to get to spreading conststency.

> >

> > If you can tolerate milk products, you can use regular milk and butter (not margarine)

Thanks so much for sharing. Interestingly, this is almost identical to our family's chocolate cake/frosting recipe that we've used for 30-40 years! It's definitely a winner! I've never tried making a GF version, though. ;)

If your a foody it should be relatively easy, there are lots of recipes, good recipes that are gluten free. I used to get Bon Appetit magazine and could often find good recipes in there. For holidays I like the basics- a nice roasted chicken or good turkey(not injected w/ anything), sweet potatoes(we love them w/ pecans, honey, and some unsweet. coconut), green beans(1000 ways to cook them that don't involve nasty gb casserole), a great big salad. Homeamde cranberry sauce, crustless pumpkin pie(I like homemade almond flour crust- but I've never been a big crust fan so I just leave it off). It really depends on what kind of food you are looking for- I like whole ingredients and not a lot of grains, it is generally not hard to do gf like that.

My daughter went g-free this summer, and I joined her. Many of my issues improved as well!

Here are some great web sites for gluten free eating:

http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/

http://glutenfreegirl.com/

http://www.health-bent.com/

http://www.celiacchicks.com/

I'm not much of a cookbook gal, though I did check out a number of books from the library and purchased the CIA gluten-free baking book. Mostly, though, I have found that it's been been very easy to cook as usual (I cook from fresh ingredients, though) and simply substitute gluten free ingredients where necessary, e.g. gluten-free soy sauce for fried rice, gf bread crumbs for meatloaf, gf pasta choices, using cornstarch for a roux instead of flour, etc.

For things I need to completely revamp - flour-centric baked goods - I hit the blogs above and also

Flour Arrangements

About.com

Gluten-Free Goddess

The About.com pizza crust recipe is everything I look for in a crust. (of course, as with everything else YMMV)

I used to get Bon Appetit magazine and could often find good recipes in there..... I like whole ingredients and not a lot of grains, it is generally not hard to do gf like that.

Is there a reason you stopped getting Bon Appetit? I'm asking because you sound like me--whole ingredients and not a lot of grains. I've not been happy with any of the gf cookbooks I've seen, so I might give Bon Appetit a try. Thanks.

Ah, I saw this on Amazon and, based on your recommendation, moved it from my Wish List to my Cart. Thanks! :)

My dd said she could finance her studies in Germany by selling the brownies:D I add dark chocolate chunks to the recipe-'cause there's no such thing as too much chocolate!

I know you said cookbooks, but there a free recipes here on King Arthur Flour. They tell you how to make your own GF blend if you can't get their GF flour.

My other standard recommendations are by Elizabeth Barbone (baking), Roben Ryberg, and Jacqueline Mallorca. Hope that helps!

Ooh, thanks so much for the info on King Arthur Flour. I love and trust that company, but wasn't aware (or maybe had forgotten) that they now had a GF line.

Thanks again! :)

Ooh, thanks so much for the info on King Arthur Flour. I love and trust that company, but wasn't aware (or maybe had forgotten) that they now had a GF line.

Thanks again! :)

Their GF line is also soy and nut free, which is great for us. Frank @ KAF really took the time to answer my questions personally about their products and helped me know which products would be safest for our family. I do love them! One of my non-GF relatives likes their GF brownie mix better than regular ones.

Is there a reason you stopped getting Bon Appetit? I'm asking because you sound like me--whole ingredients and not a lot of grains. I've not been happy with any of the gf cookbooks I've seen, so I might give Bon Appetit a try. Thanks.

Subscription ran out and I just didn't bother to renew it, probably because it wasn't in the budget at the time but I did enjoy it. I still have all my old ones.

FYI-keep an eye open at Big Lots. I've found Bob's Red Mill gf items like pizza crust there substantially cheaper.

Thank you so much for posting this! I would never have thought to look for g/f stuff at Big Lots. I happened to be near a BL store today when I was out running errands & was able to find some of the mixes & grains that I use for a better price. :)

ETA: I second the recommendation for the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. The carrot cake and pecan shortbread cookies are absolutely yummy & we don't feel like we're missing out on anything!

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

Thank you so much for posting this! I would never have thought to look for g/f stuff at Big Lots. I happened to be near a BL store today when I was out running errands & was able to find some of the mixes & grains that I use for a better price. :)

ETA: I second the recommendation for the Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. The carrot cake and pecan shortbread cookies are absolutely yummy & we don't feel like we're missing out on anything!

Me too! I almost missed them but they were on the back on an aisle.

Does anyone know the cheapest place (with shipping) to get Expandex? No one locally seems to have it, unless Whole Foods carries it (I didn't go by there). :bigear:

My daughter has been gluten free for 5 weeks, I am mostly GF with her and my family is eating GF meals at home. However, so far our favorite dessert is black bean brownies.

I cannot even express how good these are!

SO... try them, share them, enjoy them!

Fudgy Black Bean Brownies

Yield:

16 squares

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)

3 eggs

1/3 cup melted butter*

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup honey) - we now use 3/4 c sugar

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sugar. Pulse or blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible).

2. Grease an 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Pour the batter into the greased dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little (but not too much; they will sink some while the brownies bake).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle. Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done.

Cool and then chill before serving! Store in fridge.

The directions say cool and chill... but we eat the first few pieces warm. We have to have something to drink because they are so deliciously rich!

MMMMMMM.... there are some in my fridge right now... it is midnight, so I think a midnight snack is in order.

:leaving: that is it, I am sneaking downstairs momentarily!

My daughter has been gluten free for 5 weeks, I am mostly GF with her and my family is eating GF meals at home. However, so far our favorite dessert is black bean brownies.

I cannot even express how good these are!

SO... try them, share them, enjoy them!

Fudgy Black Bean Brownies

Yield:

16 squares

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)

3 eggs

1/3 cup melted butter*

1/4 cup cocoa powder

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup honey) - we now use 3/4 c sugar

1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor bowl or blender, combine the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla, and sugar. Pulse or blend until smooth (or as smooth as possible).

2. Grease an 8x8-inch glass baking dish. Pour the batter into the greased dish. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts (if using) over the top and use a spatula to push them down into the batter just a little (but not too much; they will sink some while the brownies bake).

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until brownies are set in the middle. Watch the edges for excess browning if you're not sure they're done.

Cool and then chill before serving! Store in fridge.

The directions say cool and chill... but we eat the first few pieces warm. We have to have something to drink because they are so deliciously rich!

MMMMMMM.... there are some in my fridge right now... it is midnight, so I think a midnight snack is in order.

:leaving: that is it, I am sneaking downstairs momentarily!

Wow, this recipe sounds intriguing! Where on earth did you get a recipe for black bean brownies? I never would have thought of that combo. Guess that's why I'm not a baker. :D

This was the first recipe given to me when we found out DD was to be gluten free. It was given because DH had made regular box mix brownies with her and she was VERY disappointed to learn that they still had wheat in them. DH is super supportive, just goofed... was making brownies with her to cheer her up, NOT because she could not have wheat... but because she was down. :-(

Anyhow, I believe this originated as a weight watchers or other weight loss recipe. THEY ARE TERRIFIC and I really did sneak downstairs and have a bit of brownie! mmmmmm...