Menu

Important Vaccine Question for those Overseas/in foreign areas. Is this Possible?

My daughter wishes to do an exchange program in South America or possibly Central America, immersing herself in a Spanish-speaking culture. She has an affinity for languages. At any rate, she entered high school on a religious vaccine exemption, and it has never been an issue. Filling out the Exchange Application (wow, what a LOT of work!), we note that very specific vaccine information is required from her doctor as well as blanket permission given for the host family/school to give any vaccines required to enroll in school.

Does anyone know if she could successfully file a religious exemption in a foreign school? Obviously, we do not wish to pump her full of dozens of vaccines at this late date just to go on this trip, endangering her unbelievably vibrant health.

Is this possible? Has anyone done in it a Central or South American country. Can anyone who is fluent in Spanish look it up on a school or government website to see if religious exemptions apply in the country they are (or have been ) in? I'd so appreciate it. I'm coming up on a dead end here, and even an attorney who focuses on vaccine issues simply tells me that he doesn't know, as he only practices here in the states.

i am an R.N. i understand you have religious beliefs about this, but you are really putting your daughter at risk for these illnesses putting her in a different country where many people are carrying these illnesses. i would call the health department and speak with them. they know alot about this sort of thing. good luck.

i am an R.N. i understand you have religious beliefs about this, but you are really putting your daughter at risk for these illnesses putting her in a different country where many people are carrying these illnesses. i would call the health department and speak with them. they know alot about this sort of thing. good luck.

Thanks for your opinion. I have researched the CDC website which clearly states that no vaccines are required for travel except in certain sub-saharan and tropical areas, which we plan to avoid. I have also spoken to many doctors, including my own of 30 years. We are comfortable with our position. I simply want to know about the mechanics in enrolling in a foreign school and whether anyone has done this.

While you are correct that for travel/tourism, vaccines are generally only recommended but not required. However, your daughter will be being placed in a school in a foreign country. She will be residing in that country and therefore expected to follow the law of the land. She could only make a case for religious exemption if that is a rightful exemption in that country. Some countries may allow this, others not.

You will have to find out what the requirements for school attendance are in her country of residence. Additionally, since she is a guest in the country, she should also be respectful of the host family. If the host family wants her to be fully or partially vaccinated in order to protect their family's health, then she should comply.

Faith

While you are correct that for travel/tourism, vaccines are generally only recommended but not required. However, your daughter will be being placed in a school in a foreign country. She will be residing in that country and therefore expected to follow the law of the land. She could only make a case for religious exemption if that is a rightful exemption in that country. Some countries may allow this, others not.

You will have to find out what the requirements for school attendance are in her country of residence. Additionally, since she is a guest in the country, she should also be respectful of the host family. If the host family wants her to be fully or partially vaccinated in order to protect their family's health, then she should comply.

Faith

:iagree:There may be no such thing as a "religious exemption" where she's traveling, and therefore, the vaccines will be mandatory if she wants to participate.

You will need to check the laws of that country and the rules of that school.

Yes, I know. At this early point, the paperwork stage, you are only allowed to select and rank a large number of countries. They tell YOU where you will be going much farther along in the process.

I'm asking up front if it is worth it to go through this unwieldy process and whether anyone has done this in Spanish-speaking Central or South American countries? Maybe no one has, but with the large number of expatriates around here, I thought it was worth asking if anyone had specific information and how they handled it for their kid.

Obviously, I'm not willing to spend weeks on this and lots of money only to be rejected at the end due to this issue. I am fully aware that there is a lot of prejudice on this issue and that I need to research the specific country's rules and the specific school once we know.

I'm just looking for that needle in the haystack -someone who has been there, done that or at least knows someone who has, who could relate her/his experiences.

Anyone out there? I hope so!

Thanks for your opinion. I have researched the CDC website which clearly states that no vaccines are required for travel except in certain sub-saharan and tropical areas, which we plan to avoid. I have also spoken to many doctors, including my own of 30 years. We are comfortable with our position. I simply want to know about the mechanics in enrolling in a foreign school and whether anyone has done this.

your welcome, but just know this is not my opinion, but rather a statement based on information provided by the cdc. the cdc would not have recommended vaccinations if not a risk. i should have sited my source when first posting. i'm glad you have visited their site, and are well informed. good luck with your endeavors :)

Honestly, I'd call the organization and ask them.

This.

The organization may well refuse to place you, or refuse to give you priority in the countries (if any) where it IS available. They're your first hurdle. I can't believe noone has had this issue before, so they probably have an answer.

This.

The organization may well refuse to place you, or refuse to give you priority in the countries (if any) where it IS available. They're your first hurdle. I can't believe noone has had this issue before, so they probably have an answer.

I also agree with this. Definitely call the organization and speak to someone there.

Whether or not the rules of the country allow for something, the organizations also have their own rules.

My dd just studied a year abroad in Spain and the organization had specific guidelines (not about vaccinations per se...but we did have to provide them with her medical forms as part of the Visa process, which wasn't an issue since we vaccinated anyway)

I did a summer exchange in Mexico many years ago. I had to provide a vax record.

When we moved here we had to provide vax records but I don't know if there was a religious exemption.

However, in order to get our adopted daughter an immigrant visa INTO the U.S. We HAVE to vaccinate her. How's that irony?:D

I assume there is no way to choose your own country?

It might be an issue for getting her travel visa and then it might be another issue for the language school too. You'll have to check with both. My experience is that most places don't give a rip about your religious convictions. They'll tell you get the shots or don't come.

I hope it works out for her. I had an amazing experience.

I agree with those who've said your best source of info will be the embassies/consulates of the country(ies) you are interested in &/or the sending organization.

I'd also caution you to consider if your daughter's "unbelievably vibrant health" would be at more risk from the necessary vaccines or from encountering one of these diseases if she's exposed. In the US, where the majority of children are vaccinated, it's mostly a non-issue for those who don't vaccinate; in many of the countries in S. America, vaccination compliance is poorly enforced and the diseases themselves are more common, particularly in crowded areas, etc.

If your daughter will be living in one of these countries for a length of time greater than the average tourist, I urge you to check the US Dept. of State recommendations for travel, not just CDC guidelines; the State Dept. gives better info on what's suggested for those who'll be having extended stays in country beyond the week long or month long traveler. At least arm yourself with the best, most pertinent information before you make your decision.

Or, if you'd rather, be sure and discuss with your doctor what the treatment plan is for each disease your daughter is declining vaccination, as well as what that might look like in the community where she'd be living. You might need to ask the organization about that, since treatment plans can vary greatly once you leave the US.

Also, as Heather pointed out, it might be a visa requirement and not just a requirement of the exchange student organization; I know that was the case for us to move to Brazil. Many countries require proof of vaccine, not just to protect the traveler but to protect the population of the host population as well as the travelers who'll be with her on her way back to the US.

I hope you find the information you need to make a wise decision.

Ask the organization.

Find out from each country.

All of South America and most of Central America requires yellow fever vaccinations upon entering. Yellow fever is nothing to mess with, anyway and a kick-butt immune system alone doesn't guarantee that she could fight it.

You may wish to read this link:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2008/9789241580410_eng.pdf

The World Health Organization sets the International Health Regulations and I doubt they would care about religious exemptions, from what I read. If she is not comfortable being vaccinated she may not want to travel to those countries.

Ask the organization.

Find out from each country.

All of South America and most of Central America requires yellow fever vaccinations upon entering. Yellow fever is nothing to mess with, anyway and a kick-butt immune system alone doesn't guarantee that she could fight it.

You may wish to read this link:

http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2008/9789241580410_eng.pdf

The World Health Organization sets the International Health Regulations and I doubt they would care about religious exemptions, from what I read. If she is not comfortable being vaccinated she may not want to travel to those countries.

I don't know if that is accurate. DH travels to Buenos Aires often and has a work visa. We have visited for a month at a time and never had to have a yellow fever vaccination. If you need any info about BA I may be able to help since he is very familiar with the area. We almost moved to an area called Nor Delta. We enjoy it very much there!

Edit: He also has a visa for Brazil and no yellow fever vaccine for that either. I will have to ask him, but I don't remember him providing any proof of vaccines when applying for any visa he holds.

Edited by southernm

I don't know if that is accurate. DH travels to Buenos Aires often and has a work visa. We have visited for a month at a time and never had to have a yellow fever vaccination. If you need any info about BA I may be able to help since he is very familiar with the area. We almost moved to an area called Nor Delta. We enjoy it very much there!

Good to know. I looked on a map and it was marked all the way up to half of Panama as "required".

Bottom line is that OP likely needs to do a lot of research from the org/countries.

Good to know. I looked on a map and it was marked all the way up to half of Panama as "required".

Bottom line is that OP likely needs to do a lot of research from the org/countries.

Got me curious so I looked it up. Looks like it's not required, but recommended for the northern parts of Argentina.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/argentina.htm

I'm pretty sure there is no way to get an exemption when your child goes to a foreign land and stays for a year and attends a school. Or at the very least, there is no way for an exchange program to guarantee they could accommodate your preference. It would be up to the individual school, and exchange programs have difficulty enough finding host families in the first place. They don't make any guarantees about the student's experience, the school's rules, or the host family's beliefs or practices. My current student's vaccines were given on a schedule that is not optimal to engender immunity, and he had to be revaccinated here in order to attend school, by our state laws.

Or, if you'd rather, be sure and discuss with your doctor what the treatment plan is for each disease your daughter is declining vaccination, as well as what that might look like in the community where she'd be living. You might need to ask the organization about that, since treatment plans can vary greatly once you leave the US.

Complications from, say, measles (meningitis, encephalitis, hepatitis) might be much more manageable in the US than in some of the countries that your child might be travelling to.

Laura (lived overseas for most of my adult life)

Really the most accurate source is the State Dept. Travel pages that I linked before.

Yellow fever is not a required vaccine for Brazil, unless going to specific cities in the northern part of the country. Or if traveling to/from certain areas in Argentina.

I am at higher risk for getting diseases since I am on immune -suppressants. We were taking a cruise to Central America and SOuth America and I wanted to know whether I needed to have yellow fever vaccines. I was told no, but only because I would be in those countries for such a short time. They told me that if I was going for two weeks or so, I would need it.

By the way, most of Central America is tropical and so is the northern part of South America.

One thing to consider, as I think pp have mentioned, is what health care is like in these countries. If your child contracts one of these disease as a result of not being vaccinated you need to know what the care will be like and also realize that in some cases the child may be denied entrance to the US until recovered. Such travel might not be compatible with your views on vaccination. The exchange agency you are working with may not want to be responsible for such a situation.