Menu

If stockings are out, what do you wear with skirts in snowy winters???

OK, now you have me thinking fashion, which is a rarity.

I have a gray wool skirt - mid-calf length. I also have brown leather boots w/2" heels - also mid-calf length. So can I wear my brown boots with a medium gray wool skirt? I'm thinking no? I have some black maryjane pumps, which I'm also thinking would be bad. Plus with the possible no-hose issue.

So are you saying I should head to Marty and Liz and find a pair of black boots? As soon as possible?

:D

OK, now you have me thinking fashion, which is a rarity.

I have a gray wool skirt - mid-calf length. I also have brown leather boots w/2" heels - also mid-calf length. So can I wear my brown boots with a medium gray wool skirt? I'm thinking no? I have some black maryjane pumps, which I'm also thinking would be bad. Plus with the possible no-hose issue.

So are you saying I should head to Marty and Liz and find a pair of black boots? As soon as possible?

:D

You can wear grey and brown, but you have to work it right -- pair something on top that has some brown in it. If the skirt is not too light and the boots not too dark, it could work.

You can wear grey and brown, but you have to work it right -- pair something on top that has some brown in it. If the skirt is not too light and the boots not too dark, it could work.

Or you can just be like the women in my community who wear whatever they want in whatever combo makes them comfortable and they don't care what it looks like! :D I see some interesting things around here. But, then, I'm sitting at the computer in lounge pants, non-matching top, and no booK shelf so heaven forbid anyone come to the door looking for me!

:eek:

Faith

When tights are not enough to keep me warm in my skirts (knee-length or slightly above, slim skirts), I switch from ballet flats to my knee-length boots, with a pair of short socks worn over my tights.

When that's not enough, I switch from short socks to over-the-knee socks (http://www.sockdreams.com is awesome!), either wool or cotton, folded over to knee-high length, OR put on a second pair of tights. It's amazing what a difference either of those makes.

When it's bitterly cold and/or fiercely windy & cold: thicker tights, over-the-knee socks at full length (basically thigh-high, thick knit stockings!), knee-length boots, and maybe a half-slip.

A half-slip seems to help keep the space near my legs warmer, and keeps my skirts from sticking to my tights :D

It also helps to buy tights a size too big if I can; the comfort level and opacity are much better.

Double tights can make more daring patterns more wearable, too: black tights under cable-patterned or deep blue floral tights; gray tights under lacy gray or cream tights....

Or you can just be like the women in my community who wear whatever they want in whatever combo makes them comfortable and they don't care what it looks like! :D I see some interesting things around here. But, then, I'm sitting at the computer in lounge pants, non-matching top, and no booK shelf so heaven forbid anyone come to the door looking for me!

:eek:

Faith

We have those women here, too, but the cool thing is that sometimes, it's the wackiest combo you think you've ever seen, but something about it makes you say, "I think that actually works!" Never discount anything for inspiration. Every outfit can inspire either a "do" or a "don't." I've done my share of inspiring "don'ts" out there. :lol:

Also, I go by the Sacred Rule of Scarf: if the colours are together in a scarf you own, then you can wear those colours together in an outfit. It's never failed me, and if you have to, you add the scarf to prove that your outfit is, indeed, coordinated. I do actually own a scarf that has medium grey, medium brown, white and orange in it, so I know the PP can wear brown and grey. The scarf told me so.

Edited by Audrey

How long have sheer pantyhose been out? I totally missed that announcement! :huh:

I know they were still in style back when I was pregnant with my oldest in 2002 because I had to get a bunch of pairs of maternity hose to wear to the office (ugh!) but they were out by the time I was pregnant again in 2005. I remember this because I came across the maternity hose when unpacking and felt very thankful that I wasn't expected to wear them again.

So I'd say they went out of style in maybe 2003 or 2004.

Actually the shift was very gradual and took several years. When I was pregnant in 1994 I started noticing that teenagers and women in their early 20s weren't wearing pantyhose during the summer months. When I was pregnant in 1996 a few women in their 30s weren't wearing them either. I ditched them during that pregnancy because they were so uncomfortable, but still wore them occasionally for the next couple of years.

By 2000, I almost never wore them except for the most formal occasions. I think here in the south, they went away pretty quickly. Pantyhose are really uncomfortable when it's in the 90s and the humidity is high.

Also, I go by the Sacred Rule of Scarf: if the colours are together in a scarf you own, then you can wear those colours together in an outfit. It's never failed me, and if you have to, you add the scarf to prove that your outfit is, indeed, coordinated. I do actually own a scarf that has medium grey, medium brown, white and orange in it, so I know the PP can wear brown and grey. The scarf told me so.

Again, thank you - this is brilliant.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but if opaque tights or stockings don't work with an outfit I have seen those 'fashion types' suggest flesh coloured fishnets. It is specified that the net has to be very small.

Now, fishnets are a bit fashion forward for me, but it might work for someone else.

Oh, and supposedly Pippa is bringing stockings back. I'm not holding my breath though.