Menu

Does anyoen NOT use WWE and FLL?

justLisa

I have MCT Grammar Island. We have read a great deal of it and like it, but it's not exactly a student practice workbook type and I sort of don't know how to use it LOL.

Should I use something else with it? DS is a pretty slow writer. I think I have pinned the problem on HWOT. He is so busy trying to copy everything absolutely perfectly that is makes him apprehensive about writing and in 15 minutes time of solid writing he has very little to show. I decided to drop this down to just once a week just to model the "correct" letter formations and such and allow him the opportunity to write more in other areas. I have been doing a lot of dictation for him, but I know he can write on his own more now that I have found the problem.

Since we have already gone through a lot of grammar island and the sentence diagramming stuff I don't know where to go from here. I have re-learned much of this myself, and I don't feel like I am creative to just come up with a plan on my own.

I've used WWE for Writing exclusively in the past and I am using it occasionally this year. I like WWE, but sometimes we use History, Lit, or Science reading instead for narration and dictation. We are using this approach a lot less this year because we are using Writing Strands, Sentence Composing, Outlining, Writing Quick Practice, and random writing assignments, so lots of writing already.

I have not used FLL, although I have owned 1/2 and 3. I opted to use Simply Grammar instead of FLL 1/2 because I preferred less scripting/reciting/memorization for Grammar. I thought I would use FLL 3, but decided to use a workbook for Grammar instead mainly because of the scripted approach. We have a lot going on this year and I needed to make some decisions based on time. How much they'll retain I won't know until we are further along in the year. There is very little in our curricula they can open and go and do pretty much on their own so using the workbook is great for right now.

I use and love WWE, I tried FLL and decided to go with Growing with Grammar. My son hates parroting back to me over and over again and doesn't need that much repetition to retain. But with WWE I think I see it as such an excellent writing program because I have a 7th grader that was in public school until this year and he never learned to summarize, outline, or write coherent paragraphs even though he made honor roll every year. I can really see how a step by step approach works without second guessing it, like I do just about everything else.

We used WWE for first grade, but not second. FLL lasted maybe a month here. Growing with Grammar or Winning with Writing might make you feel more comfortable since they are workbooks. We did WWW for a few weeks and the lessons are very short, Ariel spent 10 minutes most days and would usually go through 2 lessons in a day. I think either or both would be a good supplement to MCT if you think your child needs more reinforcement.

We use FLL but not WWE. Dd gets enough copywork from HWOT, plus weekly Torah (Bible) portion copywork that I make for her. Enough is enough. :-)

We use WWE but not FLL ... :lol: Our handwriting is Getty-Dubay A, which isn't much, and FLL was too scripted (Button never replies "properly") so we're doing GWG now ...

I don't use them. We do copywork/dictation from sonlight readers and Bravewriter sources. We narrate from whatever we are reading. That way it is part of what we are doing, not an extra thing to do.....if that makes any sense at all :tongue_smilie:

Also, I don't like scripted resources - but that's just a personal thing. Everybody is different :) .