Menu

Anybody currently in RCIA classes

Moi!

though I'm just catching up for my confirmation, not all three sacraments.

And 5 of my children will also be coming into the church this Easter Vigil.

One is on the fence, but it's a beautiful thing to watch her realize that all of the people in her life that she most respects (even her favorite teacher/mentor) are Catholic, and practicing.

Edited by justamouse

I am so glad you posted this. I had been in a funk and looking for something to bring me closer to the Lord and keep me growing in my faith. Last spring, I sponsored someone for RCIA. I was approached to join the team as a catechist. I kept hemming and hawing, feeling pretty overwhelmed with our school schedule and getting my end done for my son's college applications. I think this was God' little nudge telling me that I should do this after we get the applications done.

I will keep you in my prayers as you walk this journey.

Wow that is an undertaking, I have so much respect for our Deacon and his wife for taking on RCIA.

We have a huge parish. RCIA is year-round, and the size, breadth and depth of our catechist team reflects that. So it is a lot more manageable than I thought it would be. And I am finding it a lot less stressful and more enjoyable than teaching 6th graders, which is what I was doing last year! :D

I just started teaching RCIA at our parish. Last night was my first class actually! We have a team of 5 lay teachers (a priest comes at the beginning to kick off the class) so it is only about once a month for me. Of course, my first topic was the Trinity. Yikes! I guess they didn't want to ease me into it with an easy topic. I learned quite a bit about Trinitarian theology in the last few weeks in hopes of being able to make some sense of it for the class.

Anyway, I truly enjoyed meeting everyone at the class and loved hearing about where they were in their walk with Christ. It was actually very inspiring to me personally. I think teaching RCIA is going to turn out to be one of the better things I've done in awhile for my own spiritual health. I hope you have a great experience in your class this year!

I'm waiting for someone to want to go through RCIA. I'm an adult catechist this year if ever anyone wants to go through the class.

Aw, wish you were in our area!

I've been considering the class and it starts next week.

Ours just started and we love it. Hope it works out for you if you decide to go!

We went through it last year, both my husband and I. It was a wonderful experience. We had a small class. It was my husband and 3 other people.

I enjoyed my time out with my husband that's for sure. We had a wonderful priest (who was transferred this year to another parish :>( and we have two deacons who are really nice too.

Out of our class we're the only ones left that attend church.

We have a small dwindling parish as well.

Are the ONLY Catholic homeschoolers in our area and struggle this year with the change of a new priest who we do not care for at all.

Anyways our Easter Vigil was awesome! It was the most beautiful thing that we ever did as a family. It was definitely something we will never, ever forget.

Will pray for you on your journey.

I was thinking about doing it this year, but classes started last week, and I am still trying out the couple different parishes (is that the right word) around me. So, hopefully next year.

In our parish, they kept saying it wasn't too late for newcomers even after the first three classes and it seems like they would work with someone that wanted to join now. Maybe it's not too late if you can find a parish nearby that would help? I know it varies. One parish in the general area seems (I asked for class info twice and never heard back) almost uninterested in candidates while another one is very encouraging and welcoming. Edited by CaladwenEleniel
spelling

Not currently, but we went through it in 1990-1991. My parents attend classes as sponsers, and my dh teaches one or two sessions each year. RCIA is awesome! Will be praying for all of you here. ♥

I can't believe you're Catholic. I keep finding that out about a lot of my favorite people.

In our parish, they kept saying it wasn't too late for newcomers even after the first three classes and it seems like they would work with someone that wanted to join now. Maybe it's not too late if you can find a parish nearby that would help? I know it varies. One parish in the general area seems (I asked for class info twice and never heard back) almost uninterested in candidates while another one is very encouraging and welcoming.

We were sort of "trying out" parishes. We live in an equal distance from two different churches. And we started out going to my cousin's parish, but it was too far away to go long-term. We still like to go back and visit, though.

It doesn't matter WHERE you go, you can still attend a parish anywhere, but to be a member of the RCC, you need to go through RCIA.

So, go! :D :grouphug:

You say that like it is a bad thing.

"I can't believe you're in the Klan. I keep finding that out about a lot of my favorite people." :lol::lol::lol:

No! :lol: That's actually why I finally made the decision to attend classes. If such a kind, intelligent group of people had all decided to go that way, I'd be crazy to keep insisting on a different route.

I can't believe you're Catholic. I keep finding that out about a lot of my favorite people.

You sounded just like C.S. Lewis here describing his move towards Christianity... "And nearly everyone was now (one way or another) in the pack; Plato, Dante, MacDonald, Chesterton, Herbert, Barfiel, Tolkien, Dyson, Joy itself. Everyone and everything had joined the other side." It just made me laugh!

It doesn't matter WHERE you go, you can still attend a parish anywhere, but to be a member of the RCC, you need to go through RCIA.

So, go! :D :grouphug:

We were going to go to RCIA at a relative's parish even though it was far and we knew we'd end up attending more often close to home. We also thought about going to separate parishes for RCIA so we wouldn't have to get childcare.

Well, the parish that was further away never sent us the information and the one closer to us did. And the one closer to us helped us solve our childcare needs (we don't use baby sitters outside of very, very few trusted relatives, none could commit to every week) so we are at the local parish and it's been working out well.

I'm glad it worked out for us to go together and at the nearby parish. At our first class, the priest said he was there to help educate, not indoctrinate. That meant a lot to me!

I would have thought that was sort of a backhand compliment except I thought the same thing when I saw several people at Mass that I didn't realize were Catholic, but was not surprised when I found them there. :)

You sounded just like C.S. Lewis here describing his move towards Christianity... "And nearly everyone was now (one way or another) in the pack; Plato, Dante, MacDonald, Chesterton, Herbert, Barfiel, Tolkien, Dyson, Joy itself. Everyone and everything had joined the other side." It just made me laugh!

I had no idea this would be taken as a backhanded compliment: it's really the reason for me. When I explained this to dh, he listened intently & said that his bf's grandmother, a staunch Catholic, converted for the same reason. Again, that would put me in good company--I was glad to see that that wasn't totally base reasoning. And CS Lewis??? Where does he say THAT?

Now I'm going to gloat. Probably not TO anyone, but I love to have thinking in common w/ great people. ;)

• 5 months later...