Menu

Question on food at Disney -- planning a trip

There are definitely healthier options at Disney than you'd find at most other theme parks. There are little carts throughout the park that offer fruit, yogurt, and "health" bars like Odwallas. You'll also find "real" food options, i.e. not necessarily healthful meals, but not fast food. Last time we visited Disneyland, we had dinner in New Orleans-themed area restaurant outside of Pirate's, and it was fine. The kids had mac-n-cheese(not Kraft's) and fruit, my husband had a Monte cristo with fruit on side (a tad greasy, but he knew what he was getting himself into), and I had the chicken gumbo. The real issue when eating at Disney, at least for us, is cost. I think we spent $50 on that casual little dinner.

It'll be a fun trip though, have a great time!

We brought our own food in. You can rent lockers so you don't have to carry it with you all day. The food in the park is horribly expensive and pretty much fast food. I'm not sure if you can get healthy stuff. Probably somewhere, but you'd definitely pay for it!

We didn't bring any food in with us.

My answer would depend on whether you were going to Disneyland or Disneyworld.

In my opinion the food at Disneyland is just okay. There are certainly plenty of places to get fresh fruit. (Think bananas, apples and oranges.)

When we went to Disneyworld we had the dining plan. We had excellent meals, it was one of the highlights of our vacation. The kids preferred the adult meal choices to the kids. There are also more than a sufficient amount of fast food choices.

The other thing we did was go to the grocery store first thing to have some basic staples at our hotel. Hands down I would recommend staying on Disney property.

Eat at Disney the food is great and it's so much fun! You may want to check into the dining plan (DDP). Often the DDP is free if you book for certain dates and stay on site. This is a HUGE savings and it allows you the full Disney experience.

Every restaurant has a ton of variety of food including veggies/fruits. My kids are not your typical chicken nuggets and pizza type and so they were allowed to order off the adult menu but would be brought a kids size. Disney is also good for folks w/ food allergies. They are especially accomodating and will send a chef out to your table to get an idea of what the allergy is and what he could substitute instead in your meal.

Also, you may want to keep in mind that if you do stay off-site you'll need to plan an extra 1.5 hrs to get from your hotel to the actual park you wish to visit. On site is anywhere from 30min to an hour. So, if you're wishing to go back and eat lunch it will take a huge chunk of your day. You can always have groceries delivered to you hotel via PeaPod. We've done this each trip. We typically get bananas, soy yogurt, soy milk, and regular milk delivered. Along with a case of bottled water to take into the park. If you find there's something you must have that the parks/hotel don't this could work for you.

We've only stayed on site (well, not counting that time in college, but life was different then). We generally do not eat BF at the hotel but at one of the parks instead-typically a character one. It's such a nice way to start a day!

When I hear people complaining about the food there it's mostly because: 1) they ate fast food/quick service the whole time. That's all fried and no healthy stuff. 2) They thought the dining plan was too expensive but didn't realize how expensive it all would be a la carte. When they added up at the end of the trip what they actually spent, it would have been cheaper to pay for the plan.

I'm sure others will express a different opinion, but this has been our experience. Either way, you'll have a terrific time! It's such a wonderful, magical place.

J

We are frequent visitors to WDW----there are a ton of non-fast food dining options throughout the parks and the resorts.

Every park has at least one produce stand. Almost all restaurants, even counter service ones, have a vegetarian option on the menu.

There are several full-service restaurants in each park. All resorts except All-Star and Pop Century have full-service restaurants with extensive menus--and even All Star and Pop Century have a decent selection of items in their food courts.

Maybe browsing the menus would be helpful.

Not only do we love Disney, we love eating well---and we have no problem doing that at WDW :)

Edited by Imprimis

We love the food at Disney World. We always get the dining plan and we have amazing meals!! Lots of fresh food choices and really fun ethnic choices in World Showcase at Epcot. Is it expensive? Yes. We spent more on our dining than our room last year. But dining out at WDW is one of the most enjoyable parts of our vacation and we wouldn't miss it.

The food at DisneyWorld is actually really good. We have done a mixture of both. Packed our lunches and ate at the park. We (mom and dad) are vegan. The kids eat pretty much anything. Epcot is the best. They have very fresh food and amazing variety. If you get a dining plan, you can call ahead with any allergy sensitivities or dietary requirements, and they will meet them. I don't know anything about Disneyland food.

Also, you may want to keep in mind that if you do stay off-site you'll need to plan an extra 1.5 hrs to get from your hotel to the actual park you wish to visit. On site is anywhere from 30min to an hour.

Should the OP decide to stay offsite, the above information is not accurate. I can't even think of a place that would require an 1.5 hours of transport time, unless you were staying outside of Orlando. Many quality offsite locations are about 10 - 30 minutes from the parks, and traffic is simply not an issue.

We live in Florida and generally take day trips, but we have stayed both offsite and onsite. I've never been impressed with Disney's counter service meal options and find their table service restaurants rather pricey. We generally bring in a lunch and stop for dinner somewhere on the way home.

Should the OP decide to stay offsite, the above information is not accurate. I can't even think of a place that would require an 1.5 hours of transport time, unless you were staying outside of Orlando. Many quality offsite locations are about 10 - 30 minutes from the parks, and traffic is simply not an issue.

We live in Florida and generally take day trips, but we have stayed both offsite and onsite. I've never been impressed with Disney's counter service meal options and find their table service restaurants rather pricey. We generally bring in a lunch and stop for dinner somewhere on the way home.

I agree...we stay offsite (at substantial savings) and always take an afternoon break. It's less than 30 min to get back to our house.

I'd also have to disagree about the "huge savings" of the dining plan. For some it may be a good deal; for others not so much. Best thing to do is peruse the menus and try to figure out where and what you would eat to see if the dining plan works for you. We eat at mostly signature restaurants and don't do any CS, so it really wouldn't benefit us at all.

The food at WDW has improved health-wise. Even the kids' meals now come with fresh, cut veggies (carrot sticks, celerey).

One counter-service, reasonably priced place is Sunshine Terrace at the Land Pavillion in Epcot. Wonderful!!!!

I won't repeat everything above, but yeah - it's there :)

As for staying off-site - we love staying on-site. It's part of the whole experience for us. To stay less expensively, see about renting a DVC owner's points,,, However, there are offsite hotels that are CLOSER to some of the theme-parks than some on-site ones. For example - Animal Kingdom Lodge (which we're staying at soon - so this isn't to discourage you) is further away from the Magic Kingdom than other off-site hotels - WDW is just so big....

I'd also have to disagree about the "huge savings" of the dining plan. For some it may be a good deal; for others not so much. Best thing to do is peruse the menus and try to figure out where and what you would eat to see if the dining plan works for you. We eat at mostly signature restaurants and don't do any CS, so it really wouldn't benefit us at all.

It saved us a fortune. One dinner at a sit down (for 2 adults and one child) would have come to about $85 (not including an appetizer, non-alcoholic drinks or dessert, all of which come with the meal plan), but our meal plan came to $35 per adult per day and $25 for a child per day and that got us 2 meals (one counter service, one sit down) and 2 snacks per day. If we went now, we'd get the 3 meal a day meal plan with 1 or 2 snacks. It also includes character meals (though not signature dining unless you use 2 meal credits for it).

OP, if you're interested, you can look at menus and prices here. There are loads of healthy choices. The kiosks sell fruits and most of the counter service offer salads and fruits for dessert.

Two of our favorite restaurants are Tony's in the Magic Kingdom (their pistachio creme brulee is to die for) and Chip-n-Dale's Garden Grill Character Meal (EPCOT). Much of the food used in the Garden Grill is grown in the Disney Gardens below the restaurant. They have an excellent boat ride through the gardens and even a small group guided tour through the garden. It cost about $20pp, but was totally worth it. It took about an hour and our guide was fantastic. We got to walk through the gardens and fish hatchery and see the fruits and veg up close and learn about the experiments they are doing to help people in desert and other inhospitable environs grow food, hydroponics and other cool stuff. Indy loved it.

Oh, oh, and Coral Reef (EPCOT) is amazing if you like seafood. Yummy.

The Lilo and Stitch Ohana's Best Friend's Breakfast was really good too. Their Hawaiian bread was to die for. I almost ate myself sick on it. Breakfast also comes with loads of tropical fruit.

We toted in a light backpack (really, it was a large cotton sack with cording to carry on my back). We brought fresh fruit, fruit roll ups, unsalted nuts, granola bars, and sandwiches with a small ice pack in a baggie. Then we stopped here and there for more substantial foods when we were ravenous. :D

Yes, but the rules have changed.

You have to pay more for a sit down if you stay at the Values. The Values only comes with 2 counter service meals (fast food) and a snack.

If you stay at a moderate ($150 plus 12% tax per night), you can get a sit down restaurant once per day and a counter service (fast food) once, as well as a snack.

You also have to buy a min. of TWO days of park passes per person. If you aren't doing the homeschool days, and you plan to buy park passes at regular prices anyway, this is fine.

None of it comes with tipping anymore and the on-site rooms are NOT discounted during "free" dining.

We have never found it worth it for us, but once we discovered 2 bedroom condos, the thought of paying 5 times as much (or more) for a tiny hotel room wasn't even an option.

This article explains it better:

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/02/18/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-dining-plan/

It saved us a fortune. One dinner at a sit down (for 2 adults and one child) would have come to about $85 (not including an appetizer, non-alcoholic drinks or dessert, all of which come with the meal plan), but our meal plan came to $35 per adult per day and $25 for a child per day and that got us 2 meals (one counter service, one sit down) and 2 snacks per day. If we went now, we'd get the 3 meal a day meal plan with 1 or 2 snacks. It also includes character meals (though not signature dining unless you use 2 meal credits for it).

OP, if you're interested, you can look at menus and prices here. There are loads of healthy choices. The kiosks sell fruits and most of the counter service offer salads and fruits for dessert.

Two of our favorite restaurants are Tony's in the Magic Kingdom (their pistachio creme brulee is to die for) and Chip-n-Dale's Garden Grill Character Meal (EPCOT). Much of the food used in the Garden Grill is grown in the Disney Gardens below the restaurant. They have an excellent boat ride through the gardens and even a small group guided tour through the garden. It cost about $20pp, but was totally worth it. It took about an hour and our guide was fantastic. We got to walk through the gardens and fish hatchery and see the fruits and veg up close and learn about the experiments they are doing to help people in desert and other inhospitable environs grow food, hydroponics and other cool stuff. Indy loved it.

The Lilo and Stitch Ohana's Best Friend's Breakfast was really good too. Their Hawaiian bread was to die for. I almost ate myself sick on it. Breakfast also comes with loads of tropical fruit.

Edited by DawnM

We bought an Igloo backpack at Target for $27. Target has exclusive rights to sell them. I know because I called to get a new liner replacement and the Igloo company told me they are ONLY available at Target.

We use the heck out of it. I found it isn't only good for Disney, but it is great for all those "let's meet at the park or museum" days as well. DH takes it golfing for his cold drinks too.

For places like Disney, it has saved us thousands.

http://www.target.com/p/Igloo-Black-Soft-Sided-Cooler-18-Can/-/A-13465885

Typically, we eat at breakfast at the condo, take lunch and snacks in the above cooler and take enough to last through late afternoon. Then, when we get hungry around 7pm or 8pm, we head out and back to the condo or off-site to eat.

We do eat some on-site, but we are on a budget, so we do budget friendlier meals. Restaurant.com has had some coupons for places like House of Blues at DTD, but there are also kids' meals for .99 coupons for places like Rainforest and T-Rex.

We HAVE done quite a few of the sit down places at Disney, but we typically only do one per visit or so.

Dawn

Thanks everyone. At this point we are looking at staying at the Animal Kingdom villas and getting a dining plan.

Staying on sight would be easier for us because if we have to rent a car to stay off site, we have to bring all 4 carseats for the kids. If we stay on sight, we only have to fly with the 2 year olds carseat.

We bought an Igloo backpack at Target for $27. Target has exclusive rights to sell them. I know because I called to get a new liner replacement and the Igloo company told me they are ONLY available at Target.

We use the heck out of it. I found it isn't only good for Disney, but it is great for all those "let's meet at the park or museum" days as well. DH takes it golfing for his cold drinks too.

For places like Disney, it has saved us thousands.

http://www.target.com/p/Igloo-Black-Soft-Sided-Cooler-18-Can/-/A-13465885

Dawn

Thanks for this!! Love, love the backpack cooler and will be picking one up today from our Target. :001_smile:

Ah, yeah, I didn't know where you lived or if you would be flying in.

There are some condos locally that have shuttle services (Bonnet Creek is one that people love), but if you are staying on property then definitely look and see if the dining plan is free while you are there.

We are cheap, but just once I do want to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Dawn

Thanks everyone. At this point we are looking at staying at the Animal Kingdom villas and getting a dining plan.

Staying on sight would be easier for us because if we have to rent a car to stay off site, we have to bring all 4 carseats for the kids. If we stay on sight, we only have to fly with the 2 year olds carseat.

If you do indeed decide to stay on site, you should look into Dinsey's Magical Express. They will bring you from airport to hotel and back again for a fee. No carseats and you don't have to pick up your luggage either (they take care of that and it Magically shows in your room within a few hours).

Not sure where you're heading in from, but Southwest has a pretty good booking site and you can book flights, dining plan, tickets and magical express all at the same time.

We just got back from Disney World a couple of days ago and had a great time! It was a splurge trip for us and we had the dining plan. We traded in a few of our sit down meals to get a couple of the shows so that left us with fewer sit down meals which we liked because we really didn't want a big meal every single day. Two of our boys are still considered children there, but we discovered that we could order adult meals off the quick service menu for them. (they had to order of the children's menu at the table service) We ended up ordering 3 meals of the quick service menu and then sharing it and then we would often still have some left over. At almost every quick service meal, we used one of them for a salad. You can always use a snack credit for a fruit or bars.

Ah, yeah, I didn't know where you lived or if you would be flying in.

There are some condos locally that have shuttle services (Bonnet Creek is one that people love), but if you are staying on property then definitely look and see if the dining plan is free while you are there.

We are cheap, but just once I do want to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Dawn

I think a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom Lodge is what we are going to do. This will be a 'fancy' vacation for us. We usually do things much less expensive.

If you do indeed decide to stay on site, you should look into Dinsey's Magical Express. They will bring you from airport to hotel and back again for a fee. No carseats and you don't have to pick up your luggage either (they take care of that and it Magically shows in your room within a few hours).

Not sure where you're heading in from, but Southwest has a pretty good booking site and you can book flights, dining plan, tickets and magical express all at the same time.

We are actually checking into the Southwest deals. They are great!

We will have to do a carseat on the plane for my 2 year old because he is too little for the seat belt alone, but to be free of the other carseats/boosters will be wonderful!

You have to pay more for a sit down if you stay at the Values. The Values only comes with 2 counter service meals (fast food) and a snack.

If you stay at a moderate ($150 plus 12% tax per night), you can get a sit down restaurant once per day and a counter service (fast food) once, as well as a snack.

You also have to buy a min. of TWO days of park passes per person. If you aren't doing the homeschool days, and you plan to buy park passes at regular prices anyway, this is fine.

None of it comes with tipping anymore and the on-site rooms are NOT discounted during "free" dining.

We have never found it worth it for us, but once we discovered 2 bedroom condos, the thought of paying 5 times as much (or more) for a tiny hotel room wasn't even an option.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2011/02/18/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-dining-plan/

I know it's changed from the way it was. We've been there since it changed. When we go we go for 7-10 days, so having to buy tickets for 2 or more days isn't an issue for us. We usually stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort (which is moderate), so we can get the upgraded plan (Deluxe-3 meals, 2 snacks per day). For us, staying that length of time, it's more than worth it. If you're only staying a day or two, it might not be. We never go during free dining anyway, so it doesn't really help us when they have "free" dining.

The dining plan at Disneyland Paris isn't worth it IMO because you're limited to a very few restaurants and there are no snacks. You get 2 meals a day and that's all. Breakfast is included at all DLP resorts though. I'm just not a fan of the restaurants you can choose from. For WDW though, it was absolutely worth it, even if we had to tip.

Oh, I've stayed there before! It's nice. There is a restaurant there that is really good, but I can't remember the name of it.

The Magic Express is GENIUS. It's included if you stay on property. They send you special luggage tags and pick up your luggage for you than drop it off at your room a few hours later. If there's something you will need immediately, pack it in your carry-on.

Southwest is great for deals. When we flew from TN, I got a deal that cost us $400 for all 3 of us ROUND TRIP. I'm not sure how I got it, but I booked it on a day they were having a sale.

When are you going?

Oh, I've stayed there before! It's nice. There is a restaurant there that is really good, but I can't remember the name of it.

The Magic Express is GENIUS. It's included if you stay on property. They send you special luggage tags and pick up your luggage for you than drop it off at your room a few hours later. If there's something you will need immediately, pack it in your carry-on.

Southwest is great for deals. When we flew from TN, I got a deal that cost us $400 for all 3 of us ROUND TRIP. I'm not sure how I got it, but I booked it on a day they were having a sale.

When are you going?

Great to hear! I think we are going in late Feb. or early March.

I think a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom Lodge is what we are going to do.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is unlike anything else! It's a gorgeous property with two of the best and most unique restaurants---Boma and Jiko---in WDW.

Boma has spectacular breakfasts (with amazing coffee!!). And, Jiko is one of my favorite restaurants for dinner.

We had fruits, veggies, milk, and juice (and other snacks) delivered to our hotel room by Garden Grocer and kept them in the room fridge and ate breakfast in the room and brought lunch and snacks to the parks every day. They were reasonably priced, and it was nice to not have to take a taxi to the store.

Now that is a novel idea! Love it!

Well, a vacation in a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom with full meals would certainly be my ideal vacation!

Please enjoy it for me and report back. I am truly green with envy.

This will be my first 'real' vacation since having kids. We always stay at condos or cabins where I cook meals, wash dishes and wash clothes. I am pretty excited.

Great to hear! I think we are going in late Feb. or early March.

We will be there 2/25-3/5, which will be the third time we've gone at that time. It's a GREAT time to go...very low crowd level, but usually nice weather.

The great restaurant at WL is Artist Point...one of our favs. :)

ETA: sorry...thought I read it was Wilderness Lodge you were looking at...yes, AKL has Jiko and Boma; both very good IMO.

Edited by whitestavern
reading too quickly!

I agree with Dawn. When we go back to Disney this year, we will stay offsite. We tried onsite once, and it was o.k., but certainly not worth all the extra money. I do like several restaurants at WDW, and, if we stay offsite, we can afford to visit a few.

I hope everyone knows about the YES Disney program. There is a homeschooling section, but you can also sign up a group at other times of the year. This will save you about 40% on tickets.

Edited by leeannpal

We are planning a trip next spring to Disney. Tell me about the food there. Is it all fast food (yuck!)? If there isn't plenty of fresh, raw produce available at meals, we may have to stay off-site.

Thanks!

Trust me, you will want to stay off site. It is so much nicer, so much cheaper, so much more convenient. We use the extra money we save on lodging to eat at the nicer(est) restaurants and eat healthier.

The character breakfast buffets have lots of fresh fruits, we still only do those every other day.

Lunch we like to do back at the condo.

Dinner is usually at nice Disney restaurants.

If you are a healthy eater, or lord help you, a die-hard foodie (like me!)..... eating 3 meals a day at Disney will make you sick and bloated full time and on the toilet half the time.

We went last March and got the cheaper dining option. We packed granola bars, etc for breakfast and ended up with more food than we needed. My advice:

1. Go with the dining plan

2. USE the SNACKS! People often say that they skimped on the snacks and end up with 24 by the end of the vacation to use up. Because you multiply the snacks by the number of people, and many can be share, it really is plenty of food.

3. BRING COFFEE - their coffee was horrendous. I went through major caffiene withdrawls.

4. Eat as many meals in Epcot countries as possible. English fish & chips, French Bakery, Middle Eastern meals were all fabulous and much better than the same choice of 5 things you find almost anywhere else.

Have fun! Not exactly my idea of a great vacation, but our kids did love it :)

Every restaurant has a ton of variety of food including veggies/fruits. My kids are not your typical chicken nuggets and pizza type and so they were allowed to order off the adult menu but would be brought a kids size. Disney is also good for folks w/ food allergies. They are especially accomodating and will send a chef out to your table to get an idea of what the allergy is and what he could substitute instead in your meal.

Also, you may want to keep in mind that if you do stay off-site you'll need to plan an extra 1.5 hrs to get from your hotel to the actual park you wish to visit. On site is anywhere from 30min to an hour. So, if you're wishing to go back and eat lunch it will take a huge chunk of your day. You can always have groceries delivered to you hotel via PeaPod. We've done this each trip. We typically get bananas, soy yogurt, soy milk, and regular milk delivered. Along with a case of bottled water to take into the park. If you find there's something you must have that the parks/hotel don't this could work for you.

QUOTE]

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

There is no possible way, in any way shape or form that it will take that long!!! We have stayed on-site MANY times and off-site. We will NEVER stay onsite again. We stay in condos (3 Bedrooms for $79-99 a night!!! LUXURIOUS condos in a gated community, Windsor Hills) It takes us FIVE minutes, to get to Animal Kingdom.... I'm talking door to park entrance. It takes 10-15 minutes for the rest of the parks. You'll spend 20-30 minutes just WAITING on a Disney bus. 15-30 minutes on the ride and then 5-10 minutes to walk to your room. And that's on a good day! We have waited over an hour, in stifling, miserable heat for a Disney bus, on multiple occasions, during one trip, and that was off-season September.... that was the LAST time we stayed on-site.... NEVER. AGAIN.

We went back to our condo almost everyday for lunch. It took us 5-10 minutes to get back. You would spend the same amount of time standing in line for food and then finding an empty seat.

Our son wanted stuff off the adult menu too, they would not allow it.

The thing is, you save SO MUCH money by staying off-site, that it really evens out. And when you don't want to eat CS meals 2 or 3 times a day, it isn't worth it.

The Dining Plan used to include Appetizer, Entree, Dessert and Tip. Then, it was doable. Now, it only includes Appetizer OR Dessert plus an entree and no tip, which you pay out of pocket. Plus, if you want to eat table service, you have to stay moderate or above, which just costs more money.

And I love that Hawaiian bread too!! I have the recipe for it, it's very time/labor intensive, so I haven't made it.... but someday, I will....

Most car rental places have car seats that you can rent along with the car.

Trust me, you will want to stay off site. It is so much nicer, so much cheaper, so much more convenient. We use the extra money we save on lodging to eat at the nicer(est) restaurants and eat healthier.

The character breakfast buffets have lots of fresh fruits, we still only do those every other day.

Lunch we like to do back at the condo.

Dinner is usually at nice Disney restaurants.

If you are a healthy eater, or lord help you, a die-hard foodie (like me!)..... eating 3 meals a day at Disney will make you sick and bloated full time and on the toilet half the time.

I am worried about food quality, but from the other responses, it looks like we will be okay. I am not concerned about cheaper. We will be staying at one of the deluxe resorts and it is worth a lot to me not to have to lug 4 carseats through two airports and on an airplane.

Most car rental places have car seats that you can rent along with the car.

Yes, but any carseat tech will tell you how dangerous those are. You don't know history (crash, washed straps) and you won't know if the seats are expired or not until you get there. You also won't know if the seat will be one that will fit a tall 5 year old in a harness. Not worth risking my child's life.