Menu

When do you start instrumental music lessons? Which instrument(s)?

Sahamamama

Next year, our 2nd grader (by then 7.5) would like to start learning to read music and play an instrument. Our house is probably too small for a keyboard (it really is tiny), so we've thought about starting with recorder or penny whistle. My vote is recorder. ;) I think it will be less shrill.

When is a good time to start with music lessons for a motivated, interested, diligent student who already enjoys singing, sings well and on pitch, and understands a bit about rhythm, melody, harmony, notes, the instruments of the orchestra, and so on (IOW, the very basics).

Any recommendations for recorder? Anything else I should know ahead of time?

:bigear:

Everyone I know started music on a recorder/flutophone.

They can be had on amazon.com for a couple dollars, and there are basic music books to go along with them.

My son has been toying with drums, guitar, and piano. For his sixth birthday I did buy a flutophone and instruction book.

It's so simple to learn the basics (rhythm, notes sequence, rudimentary music reading, woodwind fingering) using them, that I think it encourages them to pursue music further.

Edited by bbkaren

If she's motivated, start now. I've heard the Angel ones are good, although more or less any kind works to start with. You can even buy them at places like Target. If you know anything about music, you can probably teach it yourself. Oak Meadow has music books and starts kids playing recorder in first grade or kindergarten. I taught myself to play recorder when I was 12, but I had also already studied violin and piano, so I knew how to read music.

Oh, don't forget a theory book, which will teach her to read the notes rather than only play by ear. I think Rainbow Resource sells a book like Music Theory for Beginners.

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback.

I think her fingers are wide enough.

I started on recorder when I was in 3rd grade, and this child is FAR brighter than I ever was. ;) She'll be 7.5 next year, but she's the firstborn, so there's a maturity and determination there that might make 7.5 "old enough."

When I was in school, we had one year on recorder (3rd), then in 4th grade were allowed to choose an instrument. I played the alto saxophone all the way from 4th to 12th grades, including stage band, marching band, and concert band (and church orchestra). I can definitely teach her for a few years before we decide on private lessons and/or a switch in instruments.

If we ever move to a bigger house -- and get a keyboard -- she'd really like to play the piano. I can dream, right? :001_smile:

We are starting here at age 8. Ds will be taking his first violin lesson today. We like jumping off the deep end...

( I am afraid that when ds realizes he is not going to leave the first lesson playing Vivaldi concertos he might get demoralised and give up. He is however, under parental compulsion to have 2 years of some instrument. Pray for me, if you think of it...:tongue_smilie:)

Piano/vocal/flute is my background and both my kids wanted to play very young. While i think keyboard skills are important with any instrument, early on I think it's just good exposure to play any instrument. I have a full sized drum set with damper pads for my 7 yr old 2nd grader, and my 5 year old DD is learning guitar. Don't let age be a factor in deciding what to play! I began flute at 7 and played all through school/college.

At some point we will start piano but right now they have plenty to do and I don't want to force it.

...early on I think it's just good exposure to play any instrument. I have a full sized drum set with damper pads for my 7 yr old 2nd grader, and my 5 year old DD is learning guitar. Don't let age be a factor in deciding what to play!....

That's a fact! Hubby and I play in an 80's cover band and we have a rehearsal space set up in the basement. My little guy's been playing drums since he was about 2, and now goes down each day after school to decompress.

He's no prodigy but he pulls together some neat drum riffs and has a great feel for rhythm.

He also plays the piano in our living room, and we've given him a few throwaway guitars (both electric and acoustic) which are set up with an amp in the living room.

I grew up playing piano, then flute and tenor sax, so we're a musical family.

When listening to music we "pull out" certain instruments (trying to isolate the sounds with our ear) to listen to them (i.e. "Wow, do you hear the violins/piano/bass drum in that song?") and then we'll imitate along to emphasize that particular part.

Also, keep in mind, a beginner doesn't necessarily need a baby grand piano. There are plenty of electronic keyboards that are completely self-contained (yamaha makes some dandy ones, very reasonably priced). That and an "X" stand with a chair is all a child would really need...until you determine she's decided piano is "it!" for her.

Then you might look into a "real" piano. They're expensive new, but incredibly cheap used (when we were moving, the best price we were offered on ours was $500, only 10 years old in beautiful shape. It was nearly $6,000 new.)

Until then, though, there's a lot of ways to learn how to make music at a young age, that don't take much space! :)

I teach recorder starting with children as young as 5 (Suzuki Recorder School). I'd say between 3-6 is a good time to start instrumental instruction using an auditory-based method (like Suzuki anything or Yamaha Piano School). For something reading-based, wait until the child is reading text independently and solidly-usually age 7-9 is a good time to start. For larger winds, 4th-6th grade depending on the size of the child.

We start when they can read well (unless doing Suzuki) and I gave my boys a choice of either piano or violin. Those seem to be the instruments that work well and are "gateway" instruments for young learners. Older ds just started piano a month ago and LOVES it, but I'm glad we waited until 7. He could never have sat still through a half-hour lesson until this year.

My youngest started at 4 for piano. My eldest at 6. Mind you our piano teacher lived literally next door. At first they only had a 15 minute lesson once a week.

My youngest just started violin 2 weeks ago. He really wanted to play violin. He is still doing piano.

I am not a musical person. I took some piano lessons when I was a adult for a few months. My husband use to play the accordion. He has only played it for me ONCE in our nearly 15 years together. ONCE for about 2 minutes.

We are starting here at age 8. Ds will be taking his first violin lesson today. We like jumping off the deep end...

( I am afraid that when ds realizes he is not going to leave the first lesson playing Vivaldi concertos he might get demoralised and give up. He is however, under parental compulsion to have 2 years of some instrument. Pray for me, if you think of it...:tongue_smilie:)

Roger that. Prayer is up. Violin at eight, eh? You are brave. :grouphug: P.S. I agree with the two years of parental compulsion, and I can play Fur Elise on the piano as a result of it being exerted upon me. ;)

I started my two older dc in piano at 4 yrs., but the first year they played was so simple that I almost regret the money we spent. I could have done that with them at home on my own!

For my dd4, however, we took a different approach. I bought a "Music for Little Mozarts" book and CD and we work through that slowly and simply a couple of times a week. I plan to start in her at age 5 with an actual piano teacher.

My husband (a music major) and I both feel that piano is a good starting place because it teaches kids how to read music. After third grade (or age 9/10) the kids will be allowed to choose another instrument if they would like. Or if they have plugged along for 4/5 years, and decide music isn't for them they can stop. By that time they will (hopefully) have a strong foundation.

Another (perhaps less conventional) option are bells (or I suppose boomwackers would also work, but they take up a lot more space).

Our church has a children's bell choir, and my older daughter began playing in it last year (before she learned to read music or had played any instruments other than a little recorder). I bought a set of inexpensive bells for her to practice with at home, and my younger daughter (who was 6/almost 7) at the time, jumped at the opportunity to play with them.

The benefits that I found to the bells are:

* They introduce reading sheet music gradually. You can begin by simply learning the rhythms of the notes, but you don't need to read their pitches. We marked the notes to be played with colors that corresponded to the bells. Then, you could gradually introduce where the notes fall on the staff by not color-coding the notes, and instead having your child watch for her particular note to come up on the staff.

* They allow kids the experience of playing with others. My two daughters and I can sit down to play songs together. And pretty much anyone can join in for a song or two - my girls have played with their grandparents and with their friends.

No one has mentioned the ukelele?

You can get a decent one for $40 - $60. They are small, portable and it is really difficult to make any kind of awful screechy or squeaky noises with them (a big plus!).

They have some at the music store where my youngest takes violin lessons. They are available in different colors. He says the yellow one is his.

Piano and violin is enough!:)

They have some at the music store where my youngest takes violin lessons. They are available in different colors. He says the yellow one is his.

Piano and violin is enough!:)

Awww! He needs a ukelele. :D

There are far worse things they could want in that price range you know. If a kid is musically inclined, they can eventually begin teaching themselves instruments. A new one does not necessarily mean lessons--at least not right away.

There will be at least one Uke under our tree this year.

Awww! He needs a ukelele. :D

There are far worse things they could want in that price range you know. If a kid is musically inclined, they can eventually begin teaching themselves instruments. A new one does not necessarily mean lessons--at least not right away.

There will be at least one Uke under our tree this year.

He wants one. But he isn't the type to play it on his own. I don't want another instrument that requires my attention. 2 is enough for him. (Insert mean Mommy face)