Menu

Bologna recipe????????

DH called and told me he was bringing home a huge chunk of Bologna.

He sounded excited. I am thinking, WHAT on earth am I supposed to do with that! The plant he works at is a small, privately owned sausage plant and they make great products. If any of you have eaten a hotdog or brat at a restaurant on the east side of this country you have may very well have eaten a product made in his plant. However, Bologna?????

I haven't eaten in it decades and now I have a 5 pound chunk of it coming home!

Any suggestions besides donating it to the neighbors????

When I was growing up we had fried bologna and baked beans. I haven't eaten bologna in years.

We also ate fried bologna sandwiches ont toasted bread with cheddar cheese and mustard. We called them "Mexican hat sandwiches." When you fry a slice of bologna (or salami) the middle rises up as the fat cooks out. It then resembles a sombrero.

It freezes well. I'd freeze it in one pound portions and use it for sandwiches or breakfast (fried) meat.

:iagree: Dh works for a restaurant and periodically brings home something in large quantities. I generally freeze it in smaller portions. As for what to do with it, I'm partial to fried bologna and bologna with scrambled eggs and cheese.

So my menu for the week is:

Tuesday: Fried bologna sandwiches

Wednesday: Fried bologna and mashed potatoes boats

Thursday: Bologna salad sandwiches

Friday: bologna and pasta salad

Saturday am: Eggs with bologna and cheese

Saturday afternoon: bologna cake

Sunday: probably will be in an ER somewhere having a heart attack.

:lol:

Actually thanks everyone. I was planning on freezing it in smallish chunks and giving some to the kiddoes. I was hoping you would come up with some creative ideas. I ate Bologna salad sandwiches growing up, but DH said they ate their's fried. I guess I will have to try the fried. I figure it will cook some of the grease out of it that way!

Anyone want to come over for dinner? There will be plenty to go around!

So my menu for the week is:

Tuesday: Fried bologna sandwiches

Wednesday: Fried bologna and mashed potatoes boats

Thursday: Bologna salad sandwiches

Friday: bologna and pasta salad

Saturday am: Eggs with bologna and cheese

Saturday afternoon: bologna cake

Sunday: probably will be in an ER somewhere having a heart attack.Snort...:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Actually thanks everyone. I was planning on freezing it in smallish chunks and giving some to the kiddoes. I was hoping you would come up with some creative ideas. I ate Bologna salad sandwiches growing up, but DH said they ate their's fried. I guess I will have to try the fried. I figure it will cook some of the grease out of it that way!

Anyone want to come over for dinner? There will be plenty to go around!

I'd go with freezing it too. Way back at school, they served it between two saltines with cheese.

DH called and told me he was bringing home a huge chunk of Bologna.

He sounded excited. I am thinking, WHAT on earth am I supposed to do with that! The plant he works at is a small, privately owned sausage plant and they make great products. If any of you have eaten a hotdog or brat at a restaurant on the east side of this country you have may very well have eaten a product made in his plant. However, Bologna?????

I haven't eaten in it decades and now I have a 5 pound chunk of it coming home!

Any suggestions besides donating it to the neighbors????

Considering all the jokes about "you wouldn't eat it if you knew what was in it" I guess it's good your DH is excited about it! :D

I grew up loving "bologna boats," which I always thought were totally trashy but delicious. Kind of like how I loved boxed mac and cheese with hotdogs cut in them (who am I kidding, I still do). Our version of bologna boats is to take the bologna and fry it up. Set the fried pieces on a cookie sheet, put a scoop of mashed potatoes on each one and top with cheddar.

Considering all the jokes about "you wouldn't eat it if you knew what was in it" I guess it's good your DH is excited about it! :D

Honestly, my husband works for the only place I would/will eat bologna or hotdogs from. He is the plant engineer, but he is very aware of what goes in to their products. There are no fillers, very little preservatives, no nitrates. I won't go on lest I upset some here. However, they do have a great product. But really 5# of even good, freshly made bologna is still 5# of bologna. Too much sodium .

My kiddoes were happy to take some home, so we spread the freebee around.

And I will admit the fried bologna sandwich on homemade toast with mayo, lettuce, tomato and mustard was pretty darn good.