Menu

Do you have your high schoolers use a vocabulary program?

Do you find it necessary to have your high schooler use a vocabulary program? Or, do you find it more useful to have them take words from Literature studies or Science (or whatever)?

We've been trying to use Wordly Wise and I don't really feel my son is retaining much. He remembers a few words, but I think they are the ones he knew already...from books he's read and other subjects.

I would like to try having him learn some Greek and Latin roots (I have Vocabulary Vine) and just use the vocabulary from his Literature guides. He will be reading some very vocabulary-rich literature and I think he would do better learning new words in context rather than a random list that has no meaning.

Thoughts?

My dd is using Vocabulary for the High School Student this year and will use Vocabulary for the College Bound Student next year. I really think it is a great program. You can purchase the answer key from Rainbow Resource, but you have to call and ask for it. She has a great vocabulary from reading, but I think it never hurts to do it because she'll probably learn something. I know there have been words in it that I didn't know.

Edited by mom31257

Yes, we're using Vocabulary From Classical Roots. It's challenging but not overwhelming, and the retention is good so far. DS is using Level C & D for 9th grade and will complete the series (Level E) in 10th grade.

We've also borrowed Vocabulary Cartoons (and similar titles) for fun from the library a few times because DS likes them.

DS is a voracious reader and has an impressive vocabulary. But just because he reads unfamiliar words in context doesn't mean he always knows their exact meaning or takes the time to look them up in the dictionary every time he encounters them. For these reasons, I like using a vocab program.

We use Worldy Wise. We tried the Vocabulary for the College Bound student. My daughter did not enjoy that one. We also tried the Vocabulary series that TWTM recommended, the Classical Roots one I believe. She didn't like that one either. I don't think she remembered any of those words but she is retaining the Wordly Wise vocabulary words. I started with book 9.

We used Wordly Wise and my guys picked up words from reading. We also did Greek and Latin roots in their earlier homeschooling days. I think there are benefits to all. To assist with retention from Wordly Wise it helps if they use the words (or at least some of them) in their writings. Memorization alone seldom provides learning.

Now that my middle son is a senior and has scored high on his college entrance tests, we skipped vocab this year.

Since youngest is back in ps and dropping in his standardized test percentiles I'll probably add Wordly Wise and more reading back in to his afterschooling this spring semester. (He's doing English fall semester, so otherwise wouldn't have English in the spring.)

We use Wordly Wise in grades 3-8. Then we move on to Michael Clay Thompson's program "The Word Within the Word". We see incredible retention with this program because it is spiral. Each week they get 25 new stems (mostly greek or latin) but they are also tested on 25 stems from previous lists. I like that the program focuses on learning different stems and roots. It has really helped my students learn to decipher the meaning of unfamiliar words. They also have you practice very sophisticated analogies and word usage scenarios each week. Great practice for PSAT and SAT!

We use Wordly Wise and Word Roots (Critical Thinking Company) workbooks. I don't buy answer keys or teacher's manuals, just the workbooks.

D's vocabulary is extensive, but the usage of WW and WR allow her to engage spelling and practice writing words. She tests very well where vocabulary is involved (has strong recognition). The goal is to continuously encourage her to use the words she currently incorporates into her speaking into her writing.

D needed remediation in spelling when we pulled her from school. Using WW, WR and Spelling Workout added @ 1/2 to our day, but has been time well spent in her case. Her written work now far better reflects her ability than it did when she avoided using words she knew but spelled incorrectly (or dared to use words, but poor spelling left a negative impression).

We've been trying to use Wordly Wise and I don't really feel my son is retaining much. He remembers a few words, but I think they are the ones he knew already...from books he's read and other subjects.

Thoughts?

We had a similar experience with Wordly Wise. I began using Michael Clay Thompson's material last year with much better results.

I love wordly wise. We don't use it as a workbook though. My son takes each weeks words and writes an original sentence using each word and then I test him on the spelling and definitions. All my sons have used this in the middle and high school years.

I think it is not a matter of a curriculum but a list of appropriate words and having your child use them. I try to encourage use of the weeks words in other subjects and my son gets points for using them across the board. If they don't use them then it is one of those things that is memorized for the test and then forgotten.

My daughter studied five years of Latin beginning in eighth grade; she also had a year of Ancient Greek (and a dabbling of Japanese and Spanish through middle school). The only formal vocabulary study she did in high school was in an out of the home writing class that incorporated Vocabulary Cartoons. She was (and is) a voracious reader. Her vocabulary is excellent. It's hard for me to determine what made it so; I'd probably put more weight on reading than on Latin or specific vocabulary study.

Regards,

Kareni

We tried Wordly Wise again today...for the last time.

My son is very frustrated by the program. I am as well. Some of the questions are so difficult to answer. I mean, I'm not an idiot, but I sure do feel like one...:tongue_smilie:...and some of the analogies are...well...not all that great...they are really a stretch.

We are going to do roots study instead with Vocabulary Vine and pull vocabulary from literature. Our study guides give us the words for a pre-reading activity, depending on which brand we are using. We use a variety or sometimes none at all, in which case, I pre-read and make my own list for him. This way he gets challenging vocabulary that he can apply to his reading.

Thanks again.

We're finishing up Vocabulary from Classical Roots. We use the WTM method of creating flashcards for each root and reviewing them.

My dc have had a bit of Greek and are getting a full four years of Latin in high school, so it might not be necessary, but I am the queen of overkill. IMHO, an expansive vocabulary becomes an educated person, so I hit it hard. :001_smile:

We use "Vocab. for the College Bound." We write poems, paragraphs and stories using the words. Dd likes to put vocab. words to use, she finds that she remembers them better that way. Her reading vocabulary is awesome but, she has always felt that her written and speaking vocabulary needed improvement. We do a few pages a week and try to do some cumulative review when it seems appropriate. It will take us 2 years to finish the book.