Menu

God's Design not working out! WHat next?

AFarmhouseFull

Started this year with God's Design for Science (weather) and I am NOT. LIKING. IT!!!!! SO dry SO boring, even I have a hard time following it. And the kids, forget about it. They DO like that there is a small activity with each one, but the actual text is in one ear out the other - over their head -BORING!

I was thinking Apologia? I would love something biblical. Any suggestions? I am teaching 1st and 3rd with a K listening in while resting.

I've heard the elementary Apologia is "wordy". Not my cup of tea ;) I get enough chance to talk during our readalouds and history. My kids like hand-on so we are doing RSO this year. It is a nice enough intro and would work for your kids' ages. It is Secular. I also have Christian Kids Explore and that might be a good option. I found it to be a little drier than RSO so we are going with that one. I am interested in the earth and space version of Christian Kids Explore, the graphics appear to be a bit more modern than the Bio one.

I'm considering using BJU during the Logic Phase as it looks like a nice solid program that recognizes God as the author of science and all things created.

Edited by warneral

Started this year with God's Design for Science (weather) and I am NOT. LIKING. IT!!!!! SO dry SO boring, even I have a hard time following it. And the kids, forget about it. They DO like that there is a small activity with each one, but the actual text is in one ear out the other - over their head -BORING!

I was thinking Apologia? I would love something biblical. Any suggestions? I am teaching 1st and 3rd with a K listening in while resting.

We had the same experience with God's Design (Chemistry). I almost fell asleep reading it. They didn't learn anything. I thought it would be fine for the older & a stretch for the younger. *yawn* They both scored the same on the tests (very badly).

I tried Apologia (Astronomy). We made it work for the semester it took (us) to go through the book. We liked many of the activities, but overall it wasn't a big win.

To be honest, we haven't found anything that we wanted to stick to as far as a series. Good luck!

Several options... I really like Elemental Science but it's biblically neutral. Christian Kids Explore has always looked fun to me. I have read it isn't that deep but your kids are K, 1st and 3rd so it looks deep enough to me for a K and 1st for sure and maybe a 3rd depending on how much science they already know. It also comes with a book list so you could grab more books from a library if the 3rd needed more detail.

I have tried Apologia twice. I really dislike it. At the lower levels its very wordy but the actual information isn't that thrilled. Then I tried General Science and it was just boring - again without really challenging information.

Heather

I have God's Design for Heaven and Earth (Our Planet Earth) and we just started Lesson 1 yesterday and I'm afraid that we are going to have that same problem. :001_unsure: I may just have to come up with my own earth science or unit study. But when will I find the time??

I just ordered Earth and Space task cards. I wanted to start doing some study on our own as well and the 'where will I find the time' question loomed large. I'm already developing studies for my high schooler so I just didn't see it happened. I'm hoping the task cards will give us enough framework that I don't have to start from scratch. Maybe they would be helpful for you too?

http://creekedgepress.com/

Heather

I just want to add that I own all the books and the elemental sciences. I even printed out biology and Earth and Space. I just won't be implementing them. They are cute and fairly simple, but my kids will not enjoy the simple experiments and the writing/narrating. They already have to do it in so many other subjects. Last night I pulled out Elemental Science Earth and Space just WANTING to use it in the next few months when we are ready for earth/space studies. I looked at the assighments, activities and books. It really would deflate my kiddos.

So I just ordered RSO by pandia press. My kids LOVE science since we've been doing the experiment-based studies. It isn't real meaty, but they love science. I don't want to mess with that! We're also going to supplement with Aha! Science and Brainpop/Brainpop Jr.

I think What I'll do is use RSO through Chemistry (and Physics if they ever create one) and from there move onto BJU for a more in depth/meaty/Christian perspective.

I just want to add that I own all the books and the elemental sciences. I even printed out biology and Earth and Space. I just won't be implementing them. They are cute and fairly simple, but my kids will not enjoy the simple experiments and the writing/narrating. They already have to do it in so many other subjects. Last night I pulled out Elemental Science Earth and Space just WANTING to use it in the next few months when we are ready for earth/space studies. I looked at the assighments, activities and books. It really would deflate my kiddos.

So I just ordered RSO by pandia press. My kids LOVE science since we've been doing the experiment-based studies. It isn't real meaty, but they love science. I don't want to mess with that! We're also going to supplement with Aha! Science and Brainpop/Brainpop Jr.

I think What I'll do is use RSO through Chemistry (and Physics if they ever create one) and from there move onto BJU for a more in depth/meaty/Christian perspective.

It's funny because I had the same experience with RSO that you had with Elemental so I move to Elemental LOL. But then again they are pretty simple experiments too. I think part of the problem is that Earth/Space is just not as hands-on exciting as the Biology we did last year. My oldest did AP Biology at the same I did Biology with my then 2nd grader so we did all kinds of great experiments piggy backing with her along with a bunch of dissections. Earth/Space just isn't going to be that cool. I did order the task cards thinking they might generate some more ideas, topics and projects. We'll see.

Heather

That is ironic! I am not excited about earth science but actually my DS is! Hopefully we'll spend lots of time with books.

If you come up with any good hands-on stuff I'd love to hear it. There isn't alot about caves etc in either RSO or ES (from what I can see) but I saw them as a topic in the samples of the task cards I order and we live near Luray Caverns so I was going to take the girls there. We already made a volcano (plus we climbed Mt. Etna when we went to Italy) so we've covered that stuff. It's funny - my daughter is excited about the topics too. I guess it's more interesting for them.

Heather

Isn't God's Design for 5-8th grade? I had a friend try to use it a couple years ago with her 2nd grader...and it didn't go well. My oldest is 5th grade...I've had the full GD curric. since we started hsing 3 years ago....but have been waiting for it to be age appropriate. IMHO, wait until they're older and try again?.....

If you come up with any good hands-on stuff I'd love to hear it. There isn't alot about caves etc in either RSO or ES (from what I can see) but I saw them as a topic in the samples of the task cards I order and we live near Luray Caverns so I was going to take the girls there. We already made a volcano (plus we climbed Mt. Etna when we went to Italy) so we've covered that stuff. It's funny - my daughter is excited about the topics too. I guess it's more interesting for them.

Heather

I plan to take the to a cave, our University of Wisconsin Space Place (the roof has telescopes and special dates for viewing) and planetarium. I haven't thought much beyond that as we are still needing to finish up BIO. I just wanted to make my selection and order b/c RSO is having a 25% off through the end of the month on ebooks (which we prefer).

I dropped using the text as well and just read library books in the same order on the same subject. I have a literature list on my blog (left-hand side) with literature for all three of the God's Design Science for earth science.

Oh, and this looks like a lot of fun as a supplement:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/easy-make-learn-projects-weather

5-pack-scholastic-teaching-resources-easy-make-and-learn-projects-weather.jpg

Edited by nestof3

I dropped using the text as well and just read library books in the same order on the same subject. I have a literature list on my blog (left-hand side) with literature for all three of the God's Design Science for earth science.

Oh, and this looks like a lot of fun as a supplement:

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/easy-make-learn-projects-weather

5-pack-scholastic-teaching-resources-easy-make-and-learn-projects-weather.jpg

Oh yeah I already forgot that I bought this with a coupon recently :)

I haven't read all the replies, but Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space is not geared for K-2. I tried it last year, and it was too much for 2nd. Maybe even for 3rd. Probably 4th-6th would be fine, but it depends on your child. We also tried Apologia Astronomy and dd8 was zoned out after about 5 minutes. WAY too wordy for us, and we loved read alouds (at least for history & lit.), and the journal was too much for 2nd grade (didn't have the Jr. journal at the time). I ended up using some Evan Moor K-2 books on Earth, Space and Weather, and they were actually the best fit along with library books.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I am also teaching a 3rd grader with a K listening in and am looking for something different. We have done quite a few in the series actually, been using it for over 2 years, and I find the retention is extremely poor. The quickie paragraph for the younger ages is TOO short, while the rest of the text isn't long either and jumps into words and concepts not covered. When people say Apologia is wordy that makes me want to get it because AIG isn't wordy enough! I am planning on doing the Astronomy one and getting the junior notebooking pages for each. My younger likes to feel part of it and my older could probably do the regular notebooking pages but probably would have more fun with the junior since her brother will be doing them. And really my goal is to love learning and remember what you learned - not happening with AIG.

Good luck!!

I haven't done earth science from apologia but we've done Astronomy and are doing anatomy. Although the books have a lot of words they are also have great illustrations and dd & I both enjoy them. We move slower than the recommended schedule because there is a lot information in each chapter. We use the notebooks and get the recommended library books as well. The experiments are easy to do and usually fun for both of us. For anatomy I was able to order a kit from christianbook.com that had most of the supplies needed for the experiments. It was a little pricey but worth the convenience for me.

We used God's Design for Life last year and I didn't like it at all. As others have said, it was too short, dry, and didn't give a lot of information. I tried jumping to the more advanced section, but that wasn't really more informative, it just used bigger words.

We are now using Apologia Astronomy and loving it. I don't think it's too wordy. My son loves science, though, so the more the better. It seems to me if the reason you don't like GD is because it is too short and doesn't have enough meat to it, then you would like Apologia.

I couldn't decide between Christian Kids Explore and Aplogia, so I read to my son out of the sample chapters you can read online. He said he liked both of them the same, and then proceeded to recite back all the information from Apologia. So that's how I decided which one to use. Try it and see if that helps you.

My dh is going through the Apologia Elementary books with the kids, and they love them. This year my two oldest are both joining in and they are on their third book, having done zoo 3, zoo 1, and now doing zoo 2. My dh is completely in charge of this so they do some of the free notebook pages occasionally, but they really haven't done a notebook. We do enough of that with our regular work.

Isn't God's Design for 5-8th grade? I had a friend try to use it a couple years ago with her 2nd grader...and it didn't go well. My oldest is 5th grade...I've had the full GD curric. since we started hsing 3 years ago....but have been waiting for it to be age appropriate. IMHO, wait until they're older and try again?.....

:iagree:

Are you wanting to stick with TWTM schedule and find something for Earth Science? If so, I haven't found anything that I feel "works" for Earth Science in 3rd grade. We're doing MFW this year and I'm doing their science with my youngest. They study ecosystems and so far we're really enjoying it, but if I didn't have it, I would use Considering God's Creation. I used parts of it every year with my oldest and we loved it. It starts with Astronomy and the universe, and then goes into Earth Science. We easily did the Astronomy unit first semester and the Weather, and Earth Science Unit second semester.

If you're open to doing other science topics, we did Apologia and enjoyed it, and we've also done RS4K and enjoyed it.

HTH!

Dorinda

Me too. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't used the program, but I just wanted to say that your thread title made me chuckle. :)

:lol:

I had to keep myself from replying when I saw this thread earlier this week.

We really like GDS, but I suppose that may be for the same reasons that it isn't working for you. It is short, concise, and to the point for each lesson. Which, for us, means that we have more time for fun, hands-on activities to flesh out the lesson. I have one kinesthetic learner, and one who prefers to independently read to learn, but also enjoys fun experiments. I usually present the material by reading a little, then ask some questions, read a little more, discuss, etc... instead of reading it straight through. Sometimes I do the experiment first, and then read/ask questions if that works better with the lesson.

We use the topic as a springboard for further research and coordinating reading material, as well as field trips. You may try to incorporate more hands-on activities, or find some coordinating media on the internet depending how your children learn best. There are also some GDS coordinating materials (Ein-O's Box kits) that have additional activities. We have not tried those yet, but they look like they might be fun, especially the chemistry box.

For example, for the life series, we spent a lot of time on the farm, in the garden, and at the children's museum where they had an age appropriate body exhibit. For the Earth series, they used clay to create their own examples of the Science topic (layers of the Earth, or such), spending some time at the planetarium, making a Candy Earth (Earth: Layers of the earth project using donut hole (or something smaller) for the inner metallic core, red icing outer molten core, rice krispie treat mantle, colored sugar or jimmies for the crust and water, mini chip mountains).

I don't know if this helps you at all or not, but I wish you Good Luck! :001_smile:

We really like GDS, but I suppose that may be for the same reasons that it isn't working for you. It is short, concise, and to the point for each lesson. Which, for us, means that we have more time for fun, hands-on activities to flesh out the lesson. I have one kinesthetic learner, and one who prefers to independently read to learn, but also enjoys fun experiments. I usually present the material by reading a little, then ask some questions, read a little more, discuss, etc... instead of reading it straight through. Sometimes I do the experiment first, and then read/ask questions if that works better with the lesson.

We use the topic as a springboard for further research and coordinating reading material, as well as field trips. You may try to incorporate more hands-on activities, or find some coordinating media on the internet depending how your children learn best. There are also some GDS coordinating materials (Ein-O's Box kits) that have additional activities. We have not tried those yet, but they look like they might be fun, especially the chemistry box.

For example, for the life series, we spent a lot of time on the farm, in the garden, and at the children's museum where they had an age appropriate body exhibit. For the Earth series, they used clay to create their own examples of the Science topic (layers of the Earth, or such), spending some time at the planetarium, making a Candy Earth (Earth: Layers of the earth project using donut hole (or something smaller) for the inner metallic core, red icing outer molten core, rice krispie treat mantle, colored sugar or jimmies for the crust and water, mini chip mountains).

I don't know if this helps you at all or not, but I wish you Good Luck! :001_smile:

We've been using the Life series similarly. Not as many field trips as you, but we use a lot of supplemental materials to add some extra fun into it. I like that the lessons are concise and allow us to expand on the lesson how and when we like.