Menu

A thread to post pics of neat school projects and activities

helena

I know I'm not the only one here who loves to look at photos of things like art projects, homemade reading trees :001_smile:, science projects, etc.

I'm ready for some inspiration!

Here's a few photos of my own:

1st one is Ellen McHenry The Brain. It's a paper brain hat, (loving this curriculum).

2nd and 3rd photos are my bulletin boards. Yes, I know bulletin boards are soooo schooly :D. I love them!

The first is my poetry board. I like to put up the poem, a photo of the author, and some kind of correlating art, or comic strip pics. This one is The Lady of Shallot. I've included some painting of her at different stages of the poem.

The second board has become our nature study board. We'll add to it through out each month, (new theme per month). September is Arctic and Antarctic plants and animals. I'm not sure if you can see the flowers too well, but I finally cut up an old book to use the photos! :eek: (it was water damaged so that made it easy). We're still adding to it, and review it often. It's been fun to tie in latin by learning common and Latin names of plants.

*crossing my fingers that others will share

Oooooo!!!!! I'm going to show this to grandpa, maybe I could talk him into making these for the girls.

Did you use a specific curriculum to teach the elements? How long has he been working on it? I'll probably be back at some point with more questions. :001_smile:

So cool!

Oooooo!!!!! I'm going to show this to grandpa, maybe I could talk him into making these for the girls.

Did you use a specific curriculum to teach the elements? How long has he been working on it? I'll probably be back at some point with more questions. :001_smile:

So cool!

I recommend using this book http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316649478&sr=8-1. The author has his own, extremely cool collection of the elements. He has fabulous photos!! He will tell you where to find the different elements.

Here's three ships we made yesterday when during our early American History studies. It's from a BrainPop Jr. activity. We put our ships on the bathtub with the world shower curtain behind it. I had to lower the curtain to position the background in the right spot. :)

I also have a cool brain hat, cell mobile and nerve necklace. Here's our first project from Ellen McHenry, her body game. Making BLOOD has always been a popular blog post. :)

post-8662-13535085503834_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535085504113_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535085503834_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535085504113_thumb.jpg

I recommend using this book http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316649478&sr=8-1. The author has his own, extremely cool collection of the elements. He has fabulous photos!! He will tell you where to find the different elements.

I have that one, and I just ordered the flashcards. A few years ago we did a light study on the elements using The Mystery of the Periodic Table. Ever since I've been itching to do it again.

I'm waiting to finish Ellen McHenry's Brain unit, to make sure it works for us from beginning to end. If so, I'll order her element curriculum.

Seeing your son's board/collection is going to make it hard to be patient though!

Here's three ships we made yesterday when during our early American History studies. It's from a BrainPop Jr. activity. We put our ships on the bathtub with the world shower curtain behind it. I had to lower the curtain to position the background in the right spot. :)

I also have a cool brain hat, cell mobile and nerve necklace. Here's our first project from Ellen McHenry, her body game. Making BLOOD has always been a popular blog post. :)

Angela, I love your style! :001_smile:

I'm especially crazy for the blood project. We will most definitely be doing that!

6171167900_64d2ef3d9c_z.jpg

Tadpole --> Frog

6171163430_2a9dca4d93_z.jpg

6171162596_8d85ca6125_z.jpg

.Praying Mantis

6170629065_313e160360_z.jpg

Petoskey stones and other fossils

6171160294_9a7390c32d_z.jpg

Leopard Frog (?) in the window well

6098011411_e868c2231a_z.jpg

Building a Dam with another WTM'er (whom I met when I purchased her Minimus curriculum ;) )

6098012465_b83c612a95.jpg

This summer/fall has been all about discovering the critters in our local area. We never knew we'd run into so many great creatures.

How do I make them small?

They're perfect the way they are! :001_smile:

I showed your photos to my girls, and we all agree, we've been neglecting the creek way too much lately.

I've been wanting to do the tadpole thing since we started homeschooling... I really ought to make it happen.

Fun thread! Some of ours:

Picked up this Egyptian archaeology activity at the toy store. My kids getting ready to make a ginormous mess while spending two hours digging "artifacts" out of the plaster block.

312543_10150305994148812_620343811_7855010_688403_n.jpg

Two mummy-related projects. One is an Evan-Moor History Pocket activity - the other is a mummified carrot. This was actually completed at a "Tombs and Treasures" science summer camp last year, but I kept it and we opened it up to examine the result the week we studied mummies.

292936_10150288776238812_620343811_7694811_2461685_n.jpg

Not a planned activity, but my kids thought it'd be fun to wrap each other up like this while learning about mummies. Silly.

301026_10150288776163812_620343811_7694809_3837847_n.jpg

RS4K Pre-Level 1: Science experiment on Force and Work. That plate is full of stuff the kids will try to squeeze and see if any work gets done. I got creative and picked my own items (the egg situation is a lesson in and of itself.)

297615_10150305994358812_620343811_7855015_2591593_n.jpg

Making Joseph's coat as per SotW Activity Guide suggestion:

302538_10150318262478812_620343811_7947527_1486712653_n.jpg

Studying sublimation and having fun with dry ice:

67605_454694723811_620343811_5314516_8384842_n.jpg

73765_454694703811_620343811_5314515_3620465_n.jpg

We made our own cosmic tower last week. Cheap and fun!

----

Okay I don't know how to post an image to pop up like a cute thumbnail. Mine was a HUGE photo. So here is the link to my post about the tower. IN the meantime- how do I post the tiny images like you all did?

I love that work! :001_wub: Montessori kid here. :D

I think this work translates especially well to homemade. I'm going to show this to my mom (Montessori teacher) the next time she comes over.

I love that work! :001_wub: Montessori kid here. :D

I think this work translates especially well to homemade. I'm going to show this to my mom (Montessori teacher) the next time she comes over.

Thanks! My girls love to give "universe tours" now whenever anyone comes over! And my one year old LOVES to knock it down!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm feeling very pleased with myself right now. :tongue_smilie: I get lots of "great" ideas, and many of them don't pan out!

This year I had the idea of choosing one poem for everyone to memorize, and giving the girls one poetry book to read through, and choose a poem from for themselves to memorize. I then wanted to have a reading the last school day of each month.

I really lucked out when my FIL built a little stage for the yard, and BF gave me her old patio table set. We had our first "meeting" today, and it went so well I'm giddy at the thought of doing this all year! Everyone recited their poems and we discussed poetry over cucumber sandwiches, cookies and tea.

Anyone else do something different or fun lately?

(here's a pic of our set up)

I'm feeling very pleased with myself right now. :tongue_smilie: I get lots of "great" ideas, and many of them don't pan out!

This year I had the idea of choosing one poem for everyone to memorize, and giving the girls one poetry book to read through, and choose a poem from for themselves to memorize. I then wanted to have a reading the last school day of each month.

I really lucked out when my FIL built a little stage for the yard, and BF gave me her old patio table set. We had our first "meeting" today, and it went so well I'm giddy at the thought of doing this all year! Everyone recited their poems and we discussed poetry over cucumber sandwiches, cookies and tea.

Oh- that is great! I'm sure you'll have many good times over that table!

(here's a pic of our set up)

awesome!!!

Pics of our Dry Ice Fun With Dad,

Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream,

Autumn Leaves Stained Glass Craft pics,

Our Humble Homeschool Garden,

Thanksgiving craft pics/ideas here,

We attend OMSI chem labs.

We are long overdue for a project! This puppy occupies much of our free time!

I love reading about everyone's projects. I am inspired! :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
added link

Fun thread! Everyone has such great pictures :)

Here's our blood model, salt dough map (landforms) and favorite project of the year so far....Phony P**p (Digestive System project).

Oh, I have GOT to know more about this phony p**p! Please tell!

Great thread. My computer's been down for 2 weeks, so I'm just seeing it now. I love all the pictures. I like the cosmic tower.

We are doing STOW2 and right now everything is VIKINGS! After reading some myths my son decided to do a model of the nine worlds of the Norse universe. Of course, he roped me into helping him. I was to color in the Mitgard level and had to do the photocopying of characters for him to stand up on model.

post-27941-13535085552753_thumb.jpg

LOVE the cosmos tower idea ~ I want to try to find that set of nesting cans soon!! I have tons of stuff posted over at Play with me, Mama! most of it is Montessori centered, and sensory, play-based learning for Pre-K & up!

If you would like to join the group, please send me a PM here first & I will add you if you request membership. You can see pics & description though, even if you're not a member!! :) The photo albums are chock full of hands-on eye-candy goodness!! :D

Edited by rootsnwings

• 5 weeks later...
Pics of our Dry Ice Fun With Dad,

Liquid Nitrogen Ice Cream,

Autumn Leaves Stained Glass Craft pics,

Our Humble Homeschool Garden,

Thanksgiving craft pics/ideas here,

We attend OMSI chem labs.

We are long overdue for a project! This puppy occupies much of our free time!

I love reading about everyone's projects. I am inspired! :)

We made Satori's blood model yesterday. Fun project!

When we studied chemistry, my son was inspired (by dh) to start collecting the elements. This really made the periodic table come to life for him. He made the board himself, using a circular drill bit for the holes. He has around 50 elements!

:D nice! Too bad about no plutonium etc.

Edited by LibraryLover

We've been busy with activities!

Here's a picture of our monthly nature studies project. We're forcing bulbs (from Octobers project). I found this book Sow and Grow by Tina Davis: http://www.amazon.com/Sow-Grow-Gardening-Book-Children/dp/1584796731, and we're having a great time with it. It's an easy way to supplement nature studies with a single monthly indoor gardening project.

We just got back from the east coast.

The next pic is of the Wall St. protest. We thought it would be an interesting thing to check out with the kids. The girls got a fabulous "tour" of what was happening by a friend.

I haven't gone through our photos yet, but we also stayed at a Buddhist monastery, and visited a vegan marshmallow factory.

It was funny at the factory, I got to show our guide (the owner) photos of the kids using her vegan marshmallows to make neuron models. Yay Ellen McHenry! :001_smile:

PS Thanks everyone for the posts so far! It's all very encouraging.

RATS! My photo is upside down again!

• 2 months later...

Ooh, Beth, those are pretty! That worked pretty quickly, too!

Here's some of our latest projects/activities with my 11 y/o daughter...

1. Bean Mosaic (gluing different beans onto a tile to make a mosaic)

2. Impressionist style painting (Monet unit via Meet the Masters)

3. Snow Candy (boiling maple syrup with butter and brown sugar and cooling it into candy on snow)

4. Paper marbling using oil based paints, paint thinner and water and then mounting a poem onto one of the sheets of marbled paper as a border/frame

5. Blown glass (this is one of my husband's hobbies and lately my daughter has been observing, learning, and even getting to help him some; these are some of the latest pieces they made)

Ooh, Beth, those are pretty! That worked pretty quickly, too!

Here's some of our latest projects/activities with my 11 y/o daughter...

1. Bean Mosaic (gluing different beans onto a tile to make a mosaic)

2. Impressionist style painting (Monet unit via Meet the Masters)

3. Snow Candy (boiling maple syrup with butter and brown sugar and cooling it into candy on snow)

4. Paper marbling using oil based paints, paint thinner and water and then mounting a poem onto one of the sheets of marbled paper as a border/frame

5. Blown glass (this is one of my husband's hobbies and lately my daughter has been observing, learning, and even getting to help him some; these are some of the latest pieces they made)

Cool projects! We especially love the snow candy.

The first one is from 2009 doing an excavation kit for ancient egypt. We then used sculpey clay to make the canopic jars and sarcophegus.

Tadpoles and caterpillars have always been a hit here. We have done caterpillars most years. Tadpoles only when we can find them

The last photo is an old one from when we made the model of the Nile river.

More to come in further posts.

Magic tree crystals are always a hit.

More pictures can be seen at my blog linked below or at my old one at www.homeschoolblogger.com/swellmomma

I seem to have misplaced a flashdrive somewhere that has more pictures but they can be seen on the 2 blogs. We also do not have any pictures online of the time we hatched chickens that was great fun. That was back when ds8 was less than a year old. We are doing it again this spring now that littlest dd is old enough to enjoy it in fact she is the same age as dd12 was when we did it last.

Magic tree crystals are always a hit.

More pictures can be seen at my blog linked below or at my old one at www.homeschoolblogger.com/swellmomma

I seem to have misplaced a flashdrive somewhere that has more pictures but they can be seen on the 2 blogs. We also do not have any pictures online of the time we hatched chickens that was great fun. That was back when ds8 was less than a year old. We are doing it again this spring now that littlest dd is old enough to enjoy it in fact she is the same age as dd12 was when we did it last.

Love all your photos!

I like your Nile River, we once cut out a massive paper Nile River and ran it up the length of our stair case. Ahhh... memories.

I've added the crystal garden to our RR cart. :001_smile:

The tree crystals look really cool! We've never done those, I'd like to! We've done caterpillars, but never tadpoles, and we want to do those one of these days, too!

My 11 y/o daughter painted a picture of bamboo today, I thought she did a really nice job with it!

I'd frame that! That looks great.