Menu

BTW: We're all arrogant idiots.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone to the blog, just read what has been shared here.

Name calling (sow, arrogant) and bluster do not make a compelling persuasive argument. However, both do reflect why some people choose to not take the chance this type of example might "educate" their children for a year.

You all are a lot nicer than I am. The main thing I learned from my education was language that would make a rap star blush. Ironically, I was brought back to that time in my life after reading this article. I have more than a few choices phrases for this woman.

I am still befuddled by the fact that Eminem is considered poetry. Perhaps I missed something in his lyrics, but I saw nothing poetic about his raps. And forgive me, but am I supposed to be comforted by the fact that this woman, who earned a master's degree, cannot teach 6th grade math and has no idea how she should teach her pre-k daughter?

It is because of teachers like her - and fortunately, most teachers are not like her - that my children will be staying at home. you know, the ones who push their beliefs upon their students and name call anyone who doesn't have the same set of standards as she.

Perhaps it's me being an arrogant sow, but maybe Miss Thing should sit down, shut up and go back to talking about how to be a hot mom while the rest of us raise our children as we see fit.

As a throw back - she can put that in her pipe and smoke it.

really tempted to go over and comment, "you keep using the word 'arrogant'- You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. ..."

:lol:

I won't though, I'd hate to stir the pot.

I am intelligent enough to go through the motions to give my children the less than stellar education I received at public school...the science classes that had labs we did not use, the shiny microscopes we were not taught how to work, the world History class that consisted of serial movies such as Shogun., the AP English class where we wrote like mad (it was the best class I ever had in ps) but did not learn MLS format and only actually read 3 books for- we discussed all the others that would be on the AP Exam...I could do at least that- but I am also intelligent enough to reach for more. I offer my kids much more than I experienced, and when I sense that even my more would not be all that it could be, I out-source..and pay a very pretty penny for those classes.

I think what stings the most, is not having arrogant non-homeschoolers treat us like mad idiots, but the assumption that it is a choice we take lightly, like a passing, silly impulse- not as if it were one of the most important and excruciating parenting decisions we have ever made- and not acknowledging the fact that we have spent hundreds of hours agonizing over this decision, researching this decision, and constantly re-evaluating if it continues to be the right decision for each or our children, ourselves, and our family. Not even taking into account the hundreds of hours spent researching materials, courses, teaching methods.

I am not arrogant, if I were less busy, I'd be insulted.

pfft.

in our school district, I could send my kids to walk down the street to school, without breakfast, the school would feed them, in dirty clothes, the school has washers and dryers to wash dirty clothes and loaner uniforms to lend out while they wash...they would feed them lunch, then they could walk home...and I wouldn't even have to get out of bed. Homeschooling is not the "easy" thing for me to do. :glare:

Now, I need to really think about this one. They would do my laundry?Hmmm.... :tongue_smilie:

My dh also taught for a while on the sophmore level in Electrical Engineering. The other professors liked the homeschool kids because they knew how to study and learn. Homeschool kids were responsible and did not whine.

I take the opinions of college professors more seriously than the opinion of a high school teacher.

:iagree: When we decided to homeschool our then 11, 9, and 7 year old, I was nervous about telling a friend of mine who is a college professor at a top-tier private school. He said he had just had a discussion two weeks prior with the director of admissions. The school had found that the homeschoolers were far better prepared for college academics than their counterparts from both private and public schools.

As far as the argument of "depriving the school system" of it's regular allotment of children (erk--sounds like feeding a dragon doesn't it?) I expect the beef would be over funding.

And test scores. The beef either way should be against anyone not in ps, not just hs. Private schools would be just as guilty of depriving public schools.

And, I've just noticed the replies are "moderated". Allowing in the ignorant sow comment and not others makes the blogger sink from suspect in the logic department to just plain old mean. Yuck.

And test scores. The beef either way should be against anyone not in ps, not just hs. Private schools would be just as guilty of depriving public schools.

And, I've just noticed the replies are "moderated". Allowing in the ignorant sow comment and not others makes the blogger sink from suspect in the logic department to just plain old mean. Yuck.

Not just moderated, but she has chosen to refuse to allow comments that show known facts that respond to some of the presumptions made by herself and other commentators. Oh well, she's only a speck on the map. I'd never heard of her blog before this thread. Far as I'm concerned, that mean she's not that important and, obviously, not that bright. Yep, she should stick to taking pretty pictures of decorated slices of bread.

Thanks, everyone, for the evening entertainment. Having read the comments here vs. the comments on the blog, I am that much more sure that I have chosen the right group with which to identify.

I did love the idea of public school being a "genuinely liberating experience". Or the notion that homeschooling=abandoning the public sphere. Or the idea that public school districts operate on multi-million dollar budgets, employ hundreds of people, have professional lobbyists and unions and hundreds of involved parents, but somehow me putting my kids in school is what will save them. You think I possess the ability to fix my local schools just by getting involved as a part-time volunteer, and you call ME arrogant???

Oh, and one more thing:

by Alexis Novak

Punky drew a picture that week that she described as, “It’s you Mommy, when your head popped off.†I had to remind myself that I’ve been her devoted teacher for the last 3 years, 3 months and 7 days, and it was time for a team approach. Or the whole village. She was bored. I was frizzle-frazzled-fried. Punky was ready to socialize; she just didn’t know it yet.

Please tell me you didn't just say "frizzle-frazzled-fried".

Yeah, my kids will not be going to ps here. I'm not blaming anyone and I'm not trying to be arrogant, but the schools here are awful.

Same here. DH graduated from this district 25 years ago, and he says that even when he was in school here the ps teachers all put their kids into Catholic school.

Yep, she should stick to taking pretty pictures of decorated slices of bread.
Except she didn't take those pictures. Nor did she attribute the source. :glare:

http://www.parents.com/kids/nutrition/lunch/lets-do-lunch/

Wow! An English teacher and a plagerist! So much for knowledge, skill, and integrity. Maybe she needs a Pintrest account instead of a blog ;)
The blog has three authors. The plagarized food article was written by Lea and the homeschooling garbage was written by Alexis.

She has plenty of issues of her own without being given credit for those of her friends. (I'd be rather frightened if my daughter drew me with my "head popped off.")

Anyone know in what field the blog author earned her Master's Degree?
Ah, I think I just found the answer on her personal blog (you can get to it by clicking her name on the "H & H" blog), Sept 2 entry: "*Alexis doesn’t consider herself a Mommy Blogger per se, even though other people may define her that way. She does have an actual writing degree from an accredited university...."

Ah, I think I just found the answer on her personal blog (you can get to it by clicking her name on the "H & H" blog), Sept 2 entry: "*Alexis doesn’t consider herself a Mommy Blogger per se, even though other people may define her that way. She does have an actual writing degree from an accredited university...."

:lol: and we are arrogant.