Menu

iPad 2 - anyone have it? kids/use/etc

Does anyone have the iPad 2? Care to share your opinion/review? - and I'd love to know about any 'educational' uses you might have for it with your kids… do they use it regularly? What do they DO with it? (older or younger kids)

What do YOU do with it?

Does it function a lot like the iPhone - whereby there are "apps" for darn near everything? [i don't have an iPhone, but a friend does and it sounds like it does everything except walk her dog]

I have a Macbook Pro and love it… my first apple anything - well, since back when they looked like this :p - and I do love it, although I know I don't come anywhere near using it to its full capabilities. I'm an Apple girl now though, I suspect.

So yeah.. iPad 2 .. talk to me!

(hey - if you have the original, feel free to chime in as well.. it's the 2 that I'd get, but I doubt they're that different…)

[i know I could google for reviews, but I'd like to hear from people like me who have it -- moms, using it with their homeschoolers, etc.. not just techy guys playing with it for a computer mag review. Y'know?]

Love it. Fully intend on eventually having one for each of them at some point.

My youngest is the primary user of ours. We got it to help him communicate (selective mutism) but right now he's sitting behind me playing Stack the Countries and has learned more geography than I ever learned in school. We also have Stack the States. He doesn't just play the games - he likes to read the fact 'card' for each country/state. We also have Presidents vs Aliens and Rocket Math by the same developer.

They have used the camera feature to make mini videos and illustrate their work. I found an PDF annotator I want to learn how to use to help my oldest (dyslexia) take notes on some of his curriculum with.

They can also watch videos via Brain Pop and until I cancelled it - Netflix.

We have a Time Line from Knowledge Quest and several other history aps on it. My guys all learn visually so it's really been a big help.

The Kindle Ap is great to have on it as well.

The next one I get is going to have bigger memory. We started off with the 16G just to see if we needed more.

New aps are coming out every day and I seem to find new uses for the Ipad in our school every day as well.

I waited for the iPad 2 - soooo glad I did! I use it for just about all my web surfing and we use it heavily with schooling. There's just about an app for everything. I find that some of my favorite apps are from searching google and finding suggestions on blogs. Now that I've found this forum, I'll ask on here as well. What ages/grades do you have?

I realized I didn't fully answer your question. My youngest DS (7) is special needs and we use it a lot with him. We've found great success in leapfrog and teach me kindergarten apps. There are several more, but those are his main two. For my other ds's (9 & 10), we use apps for math, la, science, history, art, spelling, etc. Most of these the boys dont even think they're doing schoolwork....so its a big hit around here.

It is basically like a big iPhone. I started off with a MacBook around 4-5 years ago, eventually got the iPhone, and waited for the iPad 2 to come out because I wanted the changes they made. ;) We're definitely a Mac "preferred" family. Lol If you get one, give yourself time to really get used to it...it can be overwhelming at first, but I havent found an "age" where the iPad isn't a great teaching tool! It can and absolutely will grow with the kids...and be extremely useful throughout their hs and college education. I hope this helps!

We bought one on Sunday for ds's 16th birthday gift. It's our 4th iPad. He loves it.

Really, it's a small computer. It can do most anything. Awesome stuff. I only use mine when I travel (so I can access the net...I don't have a smart phone) and because I have an iMac at home. But the kids use their iPads for school and social stuff. Dh uses his for work. (All but the newest iPads are version 1).

I have an IPad 2 and I LOVE it. I use it via wireless all day because I run my life via the internet and even talk or IM to my DH via skype. I don't specifically use it for homeschooling, but I do have some educational games on there my kids use to fill the time.

So I use it for e-mail, facebook, book reader, news reader, various games and educational apps.

We have one (new to us this year) and my boys use it daily. Educational apps of all kinds are available--and many are very, very good. I have found it particularly valuable for keeping one boy occupied and 'on task' while I work one-on-one with the other. For example, older who needs practice with math facts plays a math drill game; younger who has just mastered reading plays something like Montessori Crosswords; both love Stack the Countries, both have learned a TON of different things from the free Brain Pop app (recent topics include: Pavlov, Agatha Christie, the Periodic Table, netiquette, Frankenstein, and Lewis and Clark). I would not got so far as to say an iPad is necessary, but it certainly has been enriching for my kids' minds (though not our family budget!) and has made homeschooling, for me, easier.

I have both an ipad2 and an original Ipad. I actually got the original one after the ipad2, because they had a great deal on them refurbished from the Apple store. We love them both. The kids don't use the cameras so they have the ipad1 which has lots of our digital copies of movies as well as apps like Cut the rope (if you like this try Drop the Chicken it's just as fun and logic based) hidden picture puzzles and many more. We use it as a time filler when someone has to wait for me.

I have exclusive use of the ipad2 because I use the cameras to deposit checks to my bank (which is awesome since we're military and our bank in is TX and we're in VA). I also use it to put all my PDF teacher's manuals on it, such as the SOTW AG, FLL and WWE TMs, and many more. I also have the Motivated Moms app which I use for housekeeping. I have a few other game apps that I like on it like Bookworm.

I have exclusive use of the ipad2 because I use the cameras to deposit checks to my bank

Say what? You use the CAMERA to deposit cheques? How's that work?

Thanks, all of ya! :D I think we're gonna go ahead and get one… I love that I was able to hear some answers/thoughts/opinions from other parents - not just google up tech reviews.

I think dd14 will really love this.. she enjoys her 'gadgets' and this might actually be a bit of motivation. She's not exactly the most enthusiastic kid ever when it comes to 'school' stuff. ;)

I also have ds12 - special needs kiddo who is more like 7/8 - and a baby. That's why I said I was interested in hearing from people with kids of any ages.. I've got the range pretty covered there. :p

I use mine for depositing checks too...usually through my iphone though. You just use the app for the specific bank...for us, Chase is the only one around that allows that. I'm a photographer so I deposit all my checks this way so that I can have a hard copy. You just use the banks app to deposit...until you use it..it's a little hard to explain....very user friendly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the iPad! I saved up for mine in a month with couponing! lol I got the 32gb wifi only...and jail broke my phone so that I could have wifi on the road if I wanted. 32gb is perfect for us...have fun!!!!

Serendipitously we got an iPad2 about a month ago (long story), and decided to make it a family iPad with no time-wasting stuff on it, as best we can, and keep it oriented toward education. Off I went to search the WTM forums for ideas :001_smile:

A month later, my 11yo son and I use it daily, and my 15yo son uses it occasionally (though actually he prefers his iPod Touch, so I'm learning what apps he likes). Here are the apps & other icons we have on the iPad.

Daily use

Stack the States $ ($ = bought the full version)

Stack the Countries $

Words HD Free -- word with friends, aka Scrabble

Ebook readers: iBooks, Google Books, Kindle. I'm now testing others to see if I can get nearly everything into 1-2 apps.

Google Calendar bookmark for our family calendar

At least once a week

Khan Academy bookmark

Pandora

National Archives Today's Doc

GuiTune Lite -- guitar tuner for 11yo

Art history puzzles: Art Collector $, ArtPuzzles, Art Puzzles

Presidents vs. Aliens $

Flashcard apps: Quizard for my 11yo, FlashCards++ for my 15yo & me $, Quizlet.com bookmark for me, and we're trying Italian Essentials by AccelaStudy for 11yo. Quizlet.com access, with its 6 million flashcard sets! is essential. At last, flashcards as needed for Latin, Italian, German, states & capitals, and anything else!

The rest

History

Wonders of Old timeline: Ancient World $

The Revolution -- U.S. History "interactive textbook"

History Challenge: Classical World $

Math and Science

SketchExplorer -- related to Geometer's Sketchpad!

Free GraCalc -- a graphic calculator

GoSkyWatch $ -- awesome astronomy app! Seen in the iPad2 ads.

Chirp! Lite -- birdsong

Art

DrawCast

SketchBookX

Forge of Neon -- great fun to play with

Anemona -- more fun play

Fact Games

Stack the...

Presidents vs...

WordWit -- game about often confused words & phrases (affect vs. effect, impress vs. oppress)

Reference-ish

National Geographic World Atlas

Merriam-Webster dictionary

Bible from YouVersion

News

NPR

BBC News

NYTimes

AP News

Huff Post

Obama 2012 :D

Weather

WeatherBug

TWC Max+ -- The Weather Channel

WunderMap -- Weather Underground

a radar app my husband is going to "gift" us

Hurricane Track

Video

BrainPOP

Science360

Howcast -- my 15yo recommended this; I need to check it out

"Board Games"

Sudoku (from Optime), Enjoy Sudoku Free, Sudoku Joy -- I need to test these and drop at least two.

Chess Free (Optime), Checkers (Optime again)

Tic Tac Toe Glow, Four in a Row (Optime), Dots Free (Optime again lol)

Solitaire

Also, Dropbox for occasional file sharing with my laptop, and iPause, a virtual labyrinth to "walk" for a quiet moment or two as needed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Hive Mind, for helping me find good, interesting, fun apps!

DD1 received an iPad2 for her birthday (combining gifts from relatives with a contribution from her own saved money), and DD2 received an original iPad for her birthday about a month and a half later (just like big sis, she contributed a small amount - less than sister, though, because the iPad1 was significantly discounted when Verizon decided to get rid of the last of their iPad1 stock). *I* do not have an iPad (yet... and at this point, I'm waiting for the next gen), but my girls are usually kind enough to let me use one of theirs when I need or want to use it. Plus, they go to bed earlier than I do. :D

I'd already purchased quite a few apps (many for my children - educational and otherwise) for my iPhone, so they were able to use those as well. Since May, though, I've bought plenty more apps, because I like 'em, too :lol:, and because I do try to find educational and fun apps for them whenever I can.

It's a bit like an iPhone, yes, but a whole bunch better.

One of the things I like best about it, though, is how portable it is, and how easy it is to surf (especially if you just want to look up something quickly - beats having to use a laptop when you're walking from one room to another, for example).

I've organized one of my DD's iPad so that the "Language Arts" apps on one page, the "Math" apps are on another page, "Science" and "Art" are combined on one page, and then Social Studies/History apps have their own page. After that, there's a page for educational apps that aren't topical, necessarily, like Rush Hour or SET, or "physics" apps like Cover Orange, Cut the Rope, and World of Goo. And THEN, there are a couple of 'pages' of games that are just for fun (my younger dd really likes Pocket God, for example, and my older dd really enjoys Tiny Wings, Bounce On, Gravity Guy, etc.). And the last page are *my* apps, which I keep in a folder so that it doesn't seem too intrusive ('cause they aren't my iPads, remember) - some of these are realtor.com & zillow (dh is job-hunting), pinterest, Cozi, a fantastic Craigslist app, Kayak, goodreads, dropbox, amazon shopping app, and an app called Time Machine that my girls wouldn't enjoy although I'm sure my son would like. I also listen to an app called Relax M. most nights; I like the fantastic adjustability of the white noise options. :)

I have Kindle, Google Books and iBooks, plus several other "reader" apps like British Library, Classics, and Audiobooks. My youngest still loves the Dr. Seuss story apps. One thing I discovered recently is that there are some ebooks available through Google books that are not available on Kindle (such as Gilgamesh and Swallows & Amazons). I really, really like the Google Books app, especially how easily you can adjust the text ("scanned" pages - they're clean, and don't look scanned - or free flowing text, for example).

A few of our/their very favorite apps are Toontastic, 24Game, SET, World of Ants, Molecules (also available on iPad - this is one of ds's favorites), ThumbJam, Oregon Trail, Ansel's Africa, Stack the States/Countries, Presidents vs. Aliens, Weet Woo! (my younger dd loves watching videos about animals - I like that Weet Woo! screens youtube for them), and fotopedia (I like this one). WatchKnow seems kinda neat, but they haven't tried it yet. DS was playing with XPerica HD this evening, which is also a pretty neat little app. I recently downloaded Math Dictionary (by Prufrock Press), which seems like a nifty app, too.

Favorite games, educational or otherwise, include Beyond Nth, Cover Orange, Rush Hour, Slice It!, Trace, World of Goo, and Tiny Wings.

I have purchased a lot of writing apps (dunno why...shouldn't surf the app store late at night, I reckon), but my girls really love miTypewriter, and DD1, who has dyslexia, has used Dragon Dictation a tiny bit.

They also like Drawing Pad now and again, and I use the iPad sometimes in lieu of paper when we're working math problems (I have both Penultimate and ShowMe, though there are surely others).

I can't forget Netflix and Pandora, and it occurs to me that I should check to see if you can access the Amazon's streaming videos, too.

After all that, I have to say that I totally agree with VeggieGal:

I would not got so far as to say an iPad is necessary, but it certainly has been enriching for my kids' minds (though not our family budget!) and has made homeschooling, for me, easier.

We just bought iPad2 a month or so ago and it gets HEAVY daily use - and it's almost all the children. I have a lot of small children and they LOVE the interactive storybooks, seriously, they pick those EVERY time over anything else! But we also have a lot of neat educational apps, educational games, hard-core tool-based apps for learning too.

I'm loving everyone's ideas!

Recently my oldest daughter (8) has been making stories using storybook making apps. She takes pictures, records voice over narrations, adds background music etc. She's been busy at that for the past couple of days :).

• 3 weeks later...

*bumping up this thread and this thread for more awesome app/etc chatter*

We got our iPad2 the other day and are in the midst of figuring it out and setting up apps…I've snagged a few from this thread and the other and have more to check out.

dd14 is nuts about this game called "The Impossible Game" …I tried it - haven't got the attention span for stuff like that…she'd play it for hours.

Can anyone tell me if this exists, maybe even tell what app I want? I'm getting a bit lost digging around… what I'm hoping to find is something that will read stories aloud -- maybe something that comes with a bunch of fairytales or something like that? I don't know how these things work… ds12 (special needs) enjoys listening to stories - but he needs stories that are on a younger age level… fairytales, classic kids stories, etc.

Kinda like how the website Story Nory works.. I mean, we can *go* there of course…but I was looking to see if there were applications like that?

I'm also curious how this kindle and kobo (and something called ibooks that appears to be a bookshelf??) stuff works… we've never done this. These are for reading books, right? They don't read aloud.. it's like..reading a book on the screen, yes?

[i don't think I'd like that - but dd14 might]

There are MANY MANY apps that include narration that go along with the story, and fairytales are one of the most common. You can even get them for free very often.

Have you seen my free/on sale page here?

http://appsforhomeschooling.com/freesale/

I do list fairy tale books when I find them available for free :). There are a few on there right now in fact!

I am on mine right now! I love it for everything. I love checking ebooks out from the library online. I use it at work constantly. My kids use it for educational and fun apps. I read on it constantly.

If my kids were older I would get them each one. Instead I think I am getting them color Nooks for Christmas to use for reading and the like. Hard to justify $1000 for two iPads for little ones. However, when it comes time for laptops for school, I would be more inclined to get the iPad.

Can anyone tell me if this exists, maybe even tell what app I want? I'm getting a bit lost digging around… what I'm hoping to find is something that will read stories aloud -- maybe something that comes with a bunch of fairytales or something like that? I don't know how these things work… ds12 (special needs) enjoys listening to stories - but he needs stories that are on a younger age level… fairytales, classic kids stories, etc.

Kinda like how the website Story Nory works.. I mean, we can *go* there of course…but I was looking to see if there were applications like that?

I'm also curious how this kindle and kobo (and something called ibooks that appears to be a bookshelf??) stuff works… we've never done this. These are for reading books, right? They don't read aloud.. it's like..reading a book on the screen, yes?

For the iPad/iPhone, there are apps that are free or very inexpensive where books in the public domain are read; the readings are (usually?) Librivox recordings, and I know there are fairy tales, though they are just readings - no pictures to accompany.

There are also book apps that have pictures - many of them have the option to have the the story on "auto read", where the app has options for the reader (app can read and 'turn' the pages, app can read but the user turns the pages 'manually', or the app is silent and the user reads and turns the pages manually). There are quite a few Dr. Seuss book-apps like that, and I know there are fairy tales, too. Some are interactive (I still love the Beatrix Potter app/book!), too.

The Kindle, and presumably Kobo and Nook, both of a computerized voice to read books that enabled for audible readings; it doesn't sound natural, really, but I guess it's good in a pinch. I don't know how that'll change with the new Kindles, but the Kindle Fire/Android platform will likely have apps available that will offer the Librivox recordings, at least, and I see that those Dr. Seuss titles are on there, too.

StoryNory's site says that they publish a story every week; iTunes is one of the ways to listen to it, and it looks like there are currently 30 stories available from them through iTunes. There is also something called "Story Home" on iTunes - looks similar to StoryNory (you can subscribe to their podcasts for free, and they apparently have an app, too).

• 2 weeks later...

I love the storynory app -- wasn't sure if that was what you meant? I download all the stories into it and then we can listen to them when we're someplace without wireless, which often coincides with when we need something to listen to. I love Natasha and the other readers.

There are MANY MANY apps that include narration that go along with the story, and fairytales are one of the most common. You can even get them for free very often.

Have you seen my free/on sale page here?

http://appsforhomeschooling.com/freesale/

I do list fairy tale books when I find them available for free :). There are a few on there right now in fact!

Thanks so much for your site!

I have an ipad 2 and I don't think it gets the use I would like it to. I keep it with me and use it for a lot of things though. It holds my Bible so I take it to church and it allows me to make sermon notes.

I use it for our scouting committee meetings.

Kids play on it a lot.

I use it for a small computer when the others are in use.

I did get a keyboard for it, which has been awesome and I feel is needed if you plan to use it for surfing the net and typing.

Dawn