Menu

Are your ASD kids good at a sport?

mchel210

My middle is also a golfer and he's really good. Golf is quiet. It has rules and people have to keep a certain distance away. He loves it and I have to make him stop chipping in the backyard. He'd go on for hours if I let him.

My youngest has excellent eye hand coordination and was throwing and hitting a baseball very early. But sports don't really interest him.

The oldest can dance very well but is otherwise a chip off my old block and isn't very graceful. :)

Mine loathes sports. Actually loathes might not be strong enough a word. Also, he has some coordination issues that make that kind of physical activity difficult for him. I tried getting him into various sports when he was younger, but I've given up. Sometimes I kick around the idea of trying again, because I think any kind of sport would help him develop better muscle tone and coordination, but he is so adamently against anything sports-related these days that I think it would just undermine our relationship if I pushed, and the good relationship has been a long, hard time coming.

It's good to know that golf might be a good option for sports for ASD children. I have twin boys. One is almost gifted when it comes to sports, but my hFA son is a lot like his mother. I remember with some bitterness the distress of always being chosen last for games where hand-eye coordination was of any importance.

Hmmm my HFA daughter is a FISH. She loves loves loves to swim and thinks she's an animal! She loves to swim and took to it like it was a piece of cake. No fear for her there and she can be free and uninhibited in the water!

My Aspie son so far is great at soccer but that's it. He is a great goalie because he is not afraid of the ball. But he is much slower than the other players and he hates to get dirty. He prefers video games and robots.

She hates team sports. Has always particularly hated anything that comes close to resembling a free-for-all (soccer, basketball, etc). She is good at individual sports. She was never a good free-style dancer, but was a beautiful and poised ballerina. She excelled at fencing which she called, "Ballet with Weapons."

Aspies as a group tend to do poorly with true team sports, e.g., soccer, baseball, etc. Team sports that allow people to exercise more independently tend to be more successful. That would include golf, swimming, and martial arts.

My DS really enjoyed martial arts until he bloodied a kid's nose in a tournament. It was an accident, but he was too worried about hurting another kid and eventually stopped classes. At age 12 1/2, he finally learned how to ride a bike. His best exercise is to go on bike rides by himself. And since he's suddenly overflowing with energy, I'm making him do that daily.