Menu

Preschool/Kindergarten Curriculum...I'm lost!

BrookValley.

I've been lurking for a few days, but this is my first post here--hi all!

Well, I'd like some suggestions, as my title implies. I know I am probably the zillionth new homeschooling parent to ask these questions, but I would greatly appreciate any ideas, guidance, or discussion that you fine folks have to offer me.

Let me see if I can break this down as simply as possible without writing a novel! My son is 4, and while I'm content to let formal schooling wait awhile, he is begging for more structured activities. So, I figured we'd go ahead and start with something so we can both get our feet wet before we need to officially start kindergarten. Academically he's beyond what most prescool curriculum has to offer (and I don't see the need, for us anyway, to spend money on a program of themes and arts and crafts--we can do that ourselves) so if I'm looking for something with academics more on his level, I guess I am looking at kindergarten curriculum.

I don't necessarily need or want a complete boxed curriculum (and I don't think the perfect complete curriculum exists for us, anyway--I imagine they don't exist for most families!). I am drawn to a classical approach, and I need it to be secular. But I also want a lot of hands-on stuff, things that are fun and engaging. I want to incorporate environment and nature studies. I am drawn to the art elements of waldorf-type programs, though I am thinking that we need something a bit more structured academically than most of the waldorf or waldorf-ish curriculums out there.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? I have scoured the internet and done quite a bit of research, but I think I'm at that point where the more I read the more confused I become. So far I have taken a liking to the Moving Beyond the Page curriculum, as well as the Right Start math (which is what MBtP recommends to use with their program, anyway). MBtP, if I am gauging it correctly, looks to incorporate so many of those elements I am drawn too--good literature, hands-on, but a somewhat academic focus. The Right Start math also looks very hands-on, and I like the way it presents certain skills. Saxon or Singapore or Miquon...I'm just not feeling those, though I am completely opened to being convinced otherwise (or being introduced to something I haven't discovered yet!). Like I said, I am not necessarily looking for something complete, but I think I do need a good foundation to start with--something I can use to get myself organized, and then I'll supplement from there. I don't mind adding other areas to a basic curriculum (like math or art), but I need suggestions for those, too!

I'm also wondering if I'm looking at too much for this age. I don't know if we should be diving in head first like this. On one hand, he's begging for it. But I want to ensure that I keep it low-pressure, relaxed, and most importantly, fun! I think we're both excited to get started on something more structured, but I don't want either of us to get burned out.

I hope I have not rambled too much--any help is appreciated! :)

Oak Meadow is secular and Waldorf-inspired and we love it over here; however, it also believes in not pushing academics too hard in the earliest years, so its Kindergarten curriculum is probably more like a preschool curriculum. I guess you could look at 1st grade but then if you continue with it and get to the higher grades, there's a lot more reading and writing assignments in grades like 4 and up and I don't know if you want to end up with a 7 y/o expected to do fourth grade work....

Somebody else mentioned Five In A Row. I've never used or seen it in person but love the concept from what I've read about it.

We are using Five in a Row here. I like the curriculum a lot more than I thought I would. PRobably because I find their website terribly lacking so it was hard to understand the curriculum before buying it. However, if you find a copy of Five in a Row used it would be minimal investment, plus many of the books are available at the library. Here is a blog where she uses Five in a Row. You can see that it incorporates art, math, science, language arts, and social studies.

I also looked at Oak Meadow and although we didn't go with that, I think it looked very good.

I'm going to second the Ambleside Online and Five in a Row suggestions.

Ambleside Online has Year 0 and Year 0.5 Yahoo Groups, with marvelous reading lists. The focus on plenty of outside time if at all possible, and the high quality of the reading lists, were very helpful with Button who also needs structure. There is also a strong focus on handicrafts, so you could pull in Waldorf crafts you like or do something else entirely; I've found the Montessori Services website to be an excellent source for hand craft books & supplies (sewing, woodworking, etc.)

FIAR was terrific, but I ended up dropping it b/c some of the books were above Button's level (at age 4) and I was trying to get them from the library, which didn't always work out for our lesson timing. If I do FIAR with Bot-bot I'll preview books from the library at the beginning of the "year" and, I think, purchase the ones I want to use.

RightStart is a very popular math suggestion; we like MUS (Math U See), but have had to do all sorts of adaptations.

If your son is interested in reading, you might enjoy a phonics program and good readers. People here have so many good suggestions! We've done well with Phonics Pathways, taking time off for a week or two here and there and making games sometimes; and the Free and Treadwell readers suggested by Ambleside Online have been far and away the best readers for my little one.

For getting a more formal preschool going, here's what I found most helpful: regular times for meals and snacks; a morning "circle time" with music, songs, dancing around, maybe a math review or letter/word introduction, and checking his calendar for the day, month, etc; a set time for "formal" work with lots of breaks in between (we did this after circle time); and we tried to do an art or craft every day. Button is accelerated in math but was super wiggly, so we often ran races after each math problem and several times during phonics practice. Or did an "obstacle course" in the living room. :)

much luck!

Thank you for your replies!

rieshy, yes, I have seen ambleside, but because I wasn't interested in it as a curriculum I mostly forgot about it--so thank you for the reminder! It could definitely be a good resource to help incorporate nature walks and whatnot (and the book lists are another good resource).

I have heard good things about Oak Meadow, and while I think it would be a lot of fun, I don't think it would be a great fit right now. Mostly because academically my son seems beyond their kindergarten curriculum (he already knows numbers 1-10 & beyond, all uppercase & lowercase letters and their sounds, is starting to blend and read a little bit, etc.), and so I can't justify the cost for all of the other stuff. Which looks good, but...if I pushed myself a bit more I could probably work out a schedule of similar activities for us to do on my own. Which I should. But I haven't.

I have looked at FIAR in the past, and while at first I thought that I would love a truly literature-based curriculum (we are big readers in this household, and I do know that whatever I do, I want to incorporate a lot of great literature), I tried and bombed (we did try Peak with Books last year and again earlier this year. I thought doing some organized activities based on some good books would be a hit...I never got in the groove, and while the kiddo loves books, he never got into it, either). I think I want something slightly more traditional, with lots of good literature pulled in...am I totally backwards, or wishing for something that doesn't exist? :tongue_smilie:

Of course I could just let things go for another year, and just try to do more nature-type stuff, some good art and music activities, and continue with what we've been doing (which involves lots of reading). I think this would all be perfectly sufficient for a 4-year old, but my son has other things in mind. He loves to do hands-on projects and activities, and he would live outside if I let him. BUT he begs me to let him do workbooks and worksheets, and he begs for math activities. He will sit with me and the c-rods for 30 minutes or more. He'll work on a workbook just as long as well. And let me tell you, I never expected I'd be buying workbooks/worksheets for my kiddo. I had envisioned a lot more hands-on stuff, especially at this age! But he really truly enjoys it, so...I figure I should let him learn in all of the ways he enjoys, not just the ways I think are best?

I'm going to look more closely at FIAR again and see what I think. It's been awhile since I checked it out. In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming! This is all very helpful as I try to figure things out. :)

Edited by BrookValley
I can't spell today...

I'm going to second the Ambleside Online and Five in a Row suggestions.

Ambleside Online has Year 0 and Year 0.5 Yahoo Groups, with marvelous reading lists. The focus on plenty of outside time if at all possible, and the high quality of the reading lists, were very helpful with Button who also needs structure. There is also a strong focus on handicrafts, so you could pull in Waldorf crafts you like or do something else entirely; I've found the Montessori Services website to be an excellent source for hand craft books & supplies (sewing, woodworking, etc.)

FIAR was terrific, but I ended up dropping it b/c some of the books were above Button's level (at age 4) and I was trying to get them from the library, which didn't always work out for our lesson timing. If I do FIAR with Bot-bot I'll preview books from the library at the beginning of the "year" and, I think, purchase the ones I want to use.

RightStart is a very popular math suggestion; we like MUS (Math U See), but have had to do all sorts of adaptations.

If your son is interested in reading, you might enjoy a phonics program and good readers. People here have so many good suggestions! We've done well with Phonics Pathways, taking time off for a week or two here and there and making games sometimes; and the Free and Treadwell readers suggested by Ambleside Online have been far and away the best readers for my little one.

For getting a more formal preschool going, here's what I found most helpful: regular times for meals and snacks; a morning "circle time" with music, songs, dancing around, maybe a math review or letter/word introduction, and checking his calendar for the day, month, etc; a set time for "formal" work with lots of breaks in between (we did this after circle time); and we tried to do an art or craft every day. Button is accelerated in math but was super wiggly, so we often ran races after each math problem and several times during phonics practice. Or did an "obstacle course" in the living room. :)

much luck!

Also very helpful--I didn't see this 'till after I posted my latest reply. Thanks!

I think you have to think of what a curriculum would look like that is "accelerated" for a 4 year old. Even though he likes workbooks now, he would soon learn to hate them (and therefore hate school) if you got him first or second grade work and required that much writing out of him.

I think you need to look for mostly hands on ways to accelerate his learning--Right Start is a great choice. So is Family Math and Family Math for Young Children and checking out math books (like sir cumference) from the library. Also great is AIMS Kingergarten material--very hands on, too.

For writing try Handwriting Without Tears Kindergarten level or A Reason for Handwriting book K. I also put my kids through the Explode the Code primers, even though they know the sounds of the letters and could begin to blend and could TECHNICALLY work at ETC level 1. There is a lot of writing in ETC level 1 and part (for me) of doing workbooks was learning to do what they were told and not to just play with it like it's a coloring or activity book.

For reading, you need writing free program like phonics pathways or first reader. I'm sure there are others.

Maybe an enchanted learning subscription and just print books that are at his level. I would also try to find cheap PK/K level books that he can fly through over and over if he wants. Or from timberdoodle, the I Can. . . books are great for preschoolers and give them lots of "paper" to consume without the challenge of writing--I know my four year old loves his!

Sorry I'm rambling. I'm not very focused today.

Welcome! If your dc knows his letter sounds, he may enjoy learning to read now. When my older ds was 4 1/2, I started teaching him how to read using Phonics Pathways, Bob Books, and MCP readers from the library. It seemed like the next step after he mastered the basic stuff and he was really interested in learning how. Around the same time, we also started doing the Earlybird workbooks from Singapore Math. I bought themed activity books for science (Evan-Moor, I think). I remember we did a month on plants, a couple of months on the human body, a month on the solar system, etc. He got to choose what we did in science. We also raised butterflies and grew pumpkins. So, for us it was reading, math, storytime at the library, music class, arts & crafts, and science. I also kept one of those big Kindergarten workbooks, the kind that cover several subjects, around for when he wanted to write. My younger ds is 3 1/2. We play a lot of games and I read to him a lot. He loves listening to stories although I'm not sure if that will mean an early interest in learning how to read in his case. We'll see. He also just started a preschool class at our local nature center. It's not academic at all, just fun. He likes workbooks too, so I have a couple around. I'm starting to think about what we should do for preschool/kinder now, too.

Preschool/K is such a short, but amazingly fun and sweet time. I really love it and am trying to savor it more this time around. With my older ds, I was always preoccupied with what was coming next.

Good luck,

Marilyn

Marilyn

Oh, I love, love, love :001_tt1: Five in a Row for that age! It is our all-time most favorite thing we have ever done, and we are in our 3rd year now. There is just enough structure so that the dc feels like he is "doing school," but it is oh, so gentle. Through FIAR, my dd fell in love with geography and history. It turned this child that hated coloring into an artist. She loved making her list of new vocabulary each week. It made her feel competent and smart--like she knew things. Did I mention I love FIAR?!

We are doing a lot of the Sonlight P3/4 and P4/5 cores this year with my 5 and 3 year old. You can look at their lists and then pick the secular ones. They are great books. I would do lots of reading aloud. I am going to start AAR Pre-Level 1 with my DD who will be 4 in a few weeks. You could also start OPGTTR. Mostly, I would just learn about things that interest your DC. Go to the library and get books about dinosaurs or space or whatever interests him.

I think Rightstart A is a great Math choice to start now from what you described. It uses lots of manipulatives and gives a great foundation. Five in a row or other unit studies would be a lot of fun. For example, if you haven't done it already, you could watch caterpillars turn to butterflies. We did it this summer and made a lapbook while reading lots of books and doing crafts. Also, teach him to read now if he's interested. If he is already reading, continue checking out lots of books from the library some below and some above his reading level. I often look at the sonlight and AO booklists. Even if he reads well, he will probably still prefer picture books (which often times have more difficult vocab than early chapter books). Also, do read alouds that progress in length with time (lots of suggestions on these boards).

Get REady for the Code or ETC.

Wee Sing CD's and Lingua Angelica

SOTW CD's if he is auditory (my 8 yo loved SOTW and Classical Conversations CD's at that age).

Poetry (IEW's Language Aquisition thru Poetry).

Calvert's Music program (what is that called? It's great.)

Magic School Bus books and DVD's.

Critical Thinking Press has some great early learning, manipulative based workbooks for thinking skills.

Kumon workbooks (love them!).

Once again, many thanks for the replies. This discussion is just what I needed. I have definitely realized that I need to chill a little bit. :tongue_smilie: And I figured as much, but both my son and I have been super fired up for school stuff the past two weeks. And I get so excited when he is excited about learning!

Like I said previously, I think I am going to revist the idea of FIAR. I think, even though my son is begging for more structured stuff and workbooks, that I need to relax on the idea of a highly structured, academic curriculum. All of that will come in time--the last thing I want his for him to detest doing the ocasional worksheet or get burnt out altogether. Also, like someone else pointed out, if I start too far ahead now, I'm going to end up with a child not ready for all of the writing that comes with the more advanced curriculum.

All of the suggestions for "extras" are very helpful, too, as well as the math suggestions. My child also places in level B for RightStart, but I seriously question that, so it's helpful to know that another parent was in the same situation and chose to go with A anyway.

The first quarter or so of RightStart B is a repeat of A, so it's certainly possible to start there (my son did), but with younger kids I think a slower, gentler approach is warranted. My daughter worked through maybe half of A, starting right when she turned four and working on it irregularly, and by 4.5 she was ready to start B so we switched. If we'd worked on it more regularly she'd probably have finished it, but I think the more relaxed approach was better for her at that age. And while my son started in B at 5.5 and could certainly have done the early material a lot sooner, he would have stalled out utterly about a third of the way in. Maturity is important in math, and doesn't always arrive at the same time as do interest and aptitude.

All that to say that I think your choice is a good one. :D

All of the suggestions for "extras" are very helpful, too, as well as the math suggestions. My child also places in level B for RightStart, but I seriously question that, so it's helpful to know that another parent was in the same situation and chose to go with A anyway.

I think there was a thread that debated starting with A or B. I don't remember specifics but I think you can start in with level B without doing A. I couldn't find the thread, but someone else may tell reasons for starting with level B. It was definitely not the way to go for my daughter, but of course that's just us.

RS does has a handful of worksheets. It isn't typical workbook stuff and the emphasis is more on the abacus, games, etc. We adapt it a little since my daughter is learning to write numbers in her handwriting program. We haven't done much writing in that program yet.

Have fun with your eager learner. This is a great time to learn a lot in an easy-going way. :)

Five in a Row was a big hit here. I loved how my daughters' appreciation for art and geography developed through it.

I'm using Singapore Essential Math with DD4, along with Miquon. It's been a really good fit for her, as she loves worksheets and structure but doesn't have the writing skills to keep up with it.

DD4 is also sitting in on AAS lessons as she wants. She loves it, and it's a terrific review of phonics. (She did Jolly Phonics last year and, like your student, knows her letter sounds very well and is now reading.)

We do 5 minutes of handwriting practice a day using a worksheet. I'm also making worksheets with sentences for her to trace or copy accompanied by a picture to colour.

All of those are giving her the structure she wants. I mostly encourage her to play, though ... :-)

Hi!

Have you read any books about homeschooling? If so, which ones? Did the methods discussed appeal to you? Why or why not?

Does the word "school" excite you or make you want to yawn? When you think about teaching are you intimidated or enthused?

When you think about homeschooling, what excites you? Does anything terrify you? If so, what terrifies?

What does the rest of your life look like? Do you work part time or full time? Do you have the support of a spouse, parents, or in-laws? Is your home a quiet contemplative place or do you like a bustling atmosphere? Do you like to be at home or do you prefer to be out and about? Are you refreshed by quiet time alone or do you thrive in the company of many?

How about your kid(s)?

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

At that age, we did kindergarten with Ariel using Right Start (after trying a couple of other things that didn't work), FIAR and MBtP. Since she was so young, I asked the customer service rep what level to place her at in RS and she recommended A. They don't generally recommend level B for a child under 6, since it makes a number of conceptual leaps after the first 30ish lessons that a lot of kids aren't ready for. Ariel LOVED RS A. She demanded to do it every day. We used FIAR for the first semester and for a change of pace used MBtP for the second. It worked out well for us, but my child is one of those that thrives on variety, and even now I have to change things up periodically or she gets bored and resistant.

I have heard good things about Oak Meadow, and while I think it would be a lot of fun, I don't think it would be a great fit right now. Mostly because academically my son seems beyond their kindergarten curriculum (he already knows numbers 1-10 & beyond, all uppercase & lowercase letters and their sounds, is starting to blend and read a little bit, etc.), and so I can't justify the cost for all of the other stuff. Which looks good, but...if I pushed myself a bit more I could probably work out a schedule of similar activities for us to do on my own. Which I should. But I haven't.

Official soap box: :tongue_smilie:

This is a very common misconception about Oak Meadow that I'd like to clear up. My oldest daughter was an "advanced" reader for her age. When she was 3 we did Sonlight P3/4; at 4, we did Sonlight P4/5. I didn't care for a lot of the books that were on the list for Sonlight's Core K, so I looked around. After a few hiccups, we found Oak Meadow. At this time she was officially a Kindergarten student by age, but was already reading very well on her own and had finished Miquon Orange and was working on Red for math.

I used Oak Meadow K instead of a lot of other programs out there because it wasn't just about the Uppercase Letters and Numbers. There is a lot of critical thinking involved on the part of the child in Oak Meadow, even in K, that people brush over; or assume it doesn't actually have because of the description or a cursory overview. It also considers the heart and soul of a child at that age, which was very important to me.

Just my two cents opinion of a program I've grown to love and appreciate over the last two years. Feel free to ignore.... ;)

Official soap box: :tongue_smilie:

This is a very common misconception about Oak Meadow that I'd like to clear up. My oldest daughter was an "advanced" reader for her age. When she was 3 we did Sonlight P3/4; at 4, we did Sonlight P4/5. I didn't care for a lot of the books that were on the list for Sonlight's Core K, so I looked around. After a few hiccups, we found Oak Meadow. At this time she was officially a Kindergarten student by age, but was already reading very well on her own and had finished Miquon Orange and was working on Red for math.

I used Oak Meadow K instead of a lot of other programs out there because it wasn't just about the Uppercase Letters and Numbers. There is a lot of critical thinking involved on the part of the child in Oak Meadow, even in K, that people brush over; or assume it doesn't actually have because of the description or a cursory overview. It also considers the heart and soul of a child at that age, which was very important to me.

Just my two cents opinion of a program I've grown to love and appreciate over the last two years. Feel free to ignore.... ;)

No, I'm not ignoring! You are right, I have mostly put the idea of OM aside because the overview doesn't appeal to me. But reading the first-hand opinion of an actual homeschooling mom actually means something. So I'll probably check into it a little further. Thank you! :)

Hi!

Have you read any books about homeschooling? If so, which ones? Did the methods discussed appeal to you? Why or why not?

Does the word "school" excite you or make you want to yawn? When you think about teaching are you intimidated or enthused?

When you think about homeschooling, what excites you? Does anything terrify you? If so, what terrifies?

What does the rest of your life look like? Do you work part time or full time? Do you have the support of a spouse, parents, or in-laws? Is your home a quiet contemplative place or do you like a bustling atmosphere? Do you like to be at home or do you prefer to be out and about? Are you refreshed by quiet time alone or do you thrive in the company of many?

How about your kid(s)?

Peace,

Janice

These are really fabulous questions...

I have read The Well Trained Mind (the beginning and most of what pertains to the early years), a couple of Linda Dobson's books (Homeschooling the Early Years and another, I believe a book of activities), and something else from our local library that I can't remember at all (it must not have left much of an impression, huh?). I have also done quite a bit of research online, and so I am at least somewhat familiar with several different types of methods/styles. Elements of a classical education draw me in time and time again. I always assumed I would be more of an unschooler, but as my child has grown closer to "school" age and I have done more research (and soul-searching), I've discovered that it's flexibility and the ability for my child to spend more time on those things that interest him most (or take more time on the things that present the biggest challenges) that appeal to me--i.e., homeschooling itself, not "unschooling." I do want a structured, well-rounded curriculum, I just want the freedom to tailor that in the way that best fits my child's needs. But those are just some big advantages of homeschooling, regardless of which educational style you use, so...to bring my ramble to a slightly more succinct point, I am comfortable and excited by the things I read in TWTM, though as a family I would say we are also drawn to some elements of Waldorf (the stories and art, for example). For some reason Charlotte Mason turns me off, though we are a very nature/outdoors-oriented family and a very literature-oriented family. I have not yet put my finger on that one yet.

The idea of teaching makes me very enthused! I have always enjoyed teaching in some capacity (I taught horseback riding for many years before my son came along, and I even spent a couple of years teaching preschool). The fact that it's my son and I that get to do this together just makes that much better.

There's a lot that excites me about homeschooling--being able to give my son an education that is tailor-made just for him, being able to let him learn through experience as well as through literature and traditional curriculum, being the one who teaches him to read...too many things to list! What terrifies me, well, the first thing that comes to mind is "messing him up!" I imagine that's one of the biggies for everyone, right? :tongue_smilie:I am not terrified of this, but I do not look forward to the confrontation with friends, family, or even strangers over the idea of homeschooling. Our immediate family is supportive, but I have already encountered negativity from plenty of others. I am the type that does not back down from an argument where I have a strong opinion, so this has made for some frustrating encounters. I also worry about my son not liking homeschooling, or looking back on his homeschool years in less than a positive way.

We lead a busy life, but not in the rat-race kind of way. I work full time from home as a technical writer/editor and part time out of the home. I have the support of my spouse, who works full time out of the home. We also have the full support of my mother and my in-laws; all are a great help and are respectful and supportive of our choice to homeschool. We also live on a farm and are kept busy by all that entails. All three of us--me, my husband, and my son--prefer quiet (except when my son is playing the drums or guitar at ear-splitting levels...as he is at the moment.:D). We are not introverts, but we prefer time spent with a close friend/few close friends or a small gathering of family to crowded, noisy gatherings. Quality, not quantity. ;) We like to travel and see new places, but mostly we like to hang at home.

We used what is now called Sonlight's P4/5 for a very advanced 3yo and again when he was 4 (P3/4 didn't exist then). I found it to be great for him. When he was 4, we did the language arts for K (learn to read) with him, but the first year we just did reading and enjoying. The Berenstein Bears science book they use he still loves now at 9. The literature selections were very good, and we just did art and crafts as he wanted to. He was and still is a reluctant writer, so we didn't do much at all of that for a long time and just did everything orally.