Menu

Tinkyada brown rice pasta

How do I choose what to try first? At those prices, I can't just buy several kinds to do trial and error! Some of the pasta just says brown rice [type] and some says it is with rice bran. Do we go with the plain or rice bran?

Dd19 is being tested for celiac but with all the reading we're doing, we see that sometimes the tests come back negative, so she wants to try an elimination diet to see if it helps her symptoms regardless of the test results. We're trying to find some gluten-free alternatives for her favorite foods.

She has iron deficient anemia, almost daily headaches, periodic stomach and intestinal cramps, dizziness, and sudden onset middle of the night nausea/vomiting (although that hasn't happened in a couple of months). We've been to the doctor numerous times for more than a year and her new doctor has decided to run a gamut of tests. Some of her bloodwork came back questionable. Something about the size and shape of the red blood cells. Anyway, he referred her to a GI for a possible endoscopy, although the GI suggested ruling out celiac first. If that comes back negative, he wants to put her on a medication for acid reflux to see if that will help. Her regular doctor also referred her to a neurologist for a possible MRI because of the headaches. That appt isn't until mid-October and I'm wondering if it is necessary now. The frequency of her headaches lessened once she started taking iron supplements. We've just been at a loss, especially with the doctors suggesting stress and anxiety only.

I use the brown rice spirals with rice bran. They cook up a bit better for my tastes than the others I've tried. I also always cook it a little less than they say because it quickly goes from al dente to mushy.

In case you do go gluten-free with her, my dd is having an easier time gluten-free since we started using Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix I add some flax seed meal to it to up the fiber and nutritional value, but it makes great pancakes and waffles which are her favorite breakfast. Lara Bars are a terrific snack - especially the chocolate brownie ones.

Edited by Karen in CO

Maybe start with the macaroni? It's really good. My guys couldn't tell it from our regular brand of macaroni, except that they thought it was slightly bigger.

All of the Tinkyada pastas we've tried have been very good (with one exception), but start with something familiar to your family. Don't tell them it's different and see what they say!

Btw, the one exception was their spinach/rice spaghetti. It kind of fell apart even though I cooked it a couple of minutes less than the package directions state, and it was really unappetizing.

I bought a case of the spirals with rice bran via amazon. We're not doing gluten-free anymore but I'm using them up. They are totally fine, as long as I cook them for half the time on the package ;) I live at sea level, so maybe that makes a difference. Check them often because they get gummy if overcooked. If you have leftovers, mix some sauce in with them before sealing it all up, otherwise they get crispy in the fridge. My family really can't tell a difference between the tinkyada and regular durum wheat pasta once the sauce is on.

GF items are expensive. I wanted to second Pamela's Baking Mix. It's a lifesaver for pancakes and when I need small amounts of 'flour' for whatever I'm cooking.

Something that I've found helpful is that corn pasta holds up better if you are baking a dish (like homemade macaroni and cheese). Rice pasta doesn't seem to be able to withstand a lot of cooking. Other pastas are simply going to be based on what your personal tastes are like.

Once you find something, amazon will offer the best prices to buy in bulk. It's difficult to pay the prices in the store, but it will ease up once you can buy items in bulk.

If your dd hasn't been tested for Celiac yet, moving her to a gluten free diet will affect the test. I'm not discouraging you from doing this, just wanted to make sure that you were aware. It also might be helpful for you (or your dd) to write down what she ate in a food diary - nothing complicated, just notes about what she eats or drinks. You might be able to detect a pattern.

All the best to you and your dd. :)

We've used all the brown rice types. We love Tinkyada. Right now I have spaghetti, elbows, spirals, and penne in the cabinet. I use them for different dishes. Whatever type of pasta you normally cook I'd try. I've served the elbows and spaghetti to gluten eating guests and no one noticed. It was family so I asked afterward. I actually prefer the rice pastas to wheat and I eat wheat away from home.

Someone already mentioned but you have to be consuming gluten for an accurate celiac test. I can't tell if maybe they already ran the labs and want you to eliminate while waiting for results? If so I agree with her to try it and see how she feels. If you're still testing I'd wait.

Edited by sbgrace

I priced Amazon vs Vitacost and it appears VC is a better deal and you don't have to buy a whole case of something. You can mix and match.

Tinkyada Brown Rice Elbow Pasta -- 16 oz

VC $3.20

Amazon $3.53 ($42.37/12)

Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Spaghetti Style Gluten and Wheat Free -- 16 oz

VC $1.99

Amazon $3.50 ($42.03/12)

Edited by JENinOR

If your dd hasn't been tested for Celiac yet, moving her to a gluten free diet will affect the test.

Oh no, she had the lab work done yesterday and we were told the results should be in on Tuesday. She is only just looking at GF cooking today. She wants to try it because after suffering all of the symptoms for over a year, she's willing to try anything to feel 'normal' again. We have no idea if this will be helpful, especially if the celiac test is negative. But she's just at a Why Not point.

Everyone, thank you for your responses. Since she eats all kinds of pasta, she wasn't sure which one to try. She's thinking about the penne pasta just to see if she likes it, then perhaps buying other kinds. We'll also look into the other suggestions. She's been reading about how to read labels. It is overwhelming to start with!

We don't care for Tinkyada. We like Gillian's or Heartland (found at Wal-mart in the pasta section). Gillian's is harder to find. Heartland does have preservatives, but it is good. Like regular pasta. It's a corn/rice blend, I believe. Probably GMO too, but we don't eat it very often.

6a00e54f8b4ec188330147e065e045970b-320wi

Gluten free doesn't have to be expensive once you find the things you like. Eating all organic is what costs us the big bucks moreso than GF. Just keep at it and the cost will begin to go down once you find your favorites..