Menu

Teaching Textbooks for 4th grade? Experience?

mindygz

Yeah, I'm back with more math questions for my math-hating 9yo daughter.

Through the charter school affiliation program she is enrolled in, we have $150 math budget, which is really the only reason I'm considering TT. It would be out of my budget otherwise.

We have done some of the sample lessons and I feel like it could be a good fit for her. She is NOT mathy (she is VERY artistic and an amazing mimic/emulator). What I like is that TT doesn't get frustrated or impatient (like me) and that it does examples and seems to have good explanations.

I have read way too many reviews on various threads over the past couple of days, but most of them are focused on the higher grades of TT and I'm hoping some people who have used TT3 or TT4 can chime in with their feedback. DD9 is a bit behind right now as she hasn't mastered her multiplication yet (but is working steadily on it), but looking at the lessons and TT4 pretest, I think she'd be okay starting with TT4.

The other option I am considering is CLE with Math Mammoth. I already own MM, and CLE is very affordable. But like I said above, I can get reimbursed for TT, so that's why I'm considering it.

Thoughts? Experiences with TT3 or 4? I am driving myself crazy trying to make up my mind. (We tried ALEKS, which we had access to through the program, for a couple of days and I knew it was NOT going to work with the lack of explanation and worked examples.)

DS used TT3 last year and he and DD are both using TT4 this year. They really like it and are doing great with it. It does seem a bit slower than other programs, which I think is perfect for a "non-mathy" kid. Mine can handle a bit more but we all love the independence of TT, as well as the computer and self-grading aspect. I am supplementing with Daily Math from Evan-Moor and Timez Attack (to really work those multiplication facts) and DS is also using Aha! Math, just because he really loves math.

We are using TT3 and TT5 and both boys enjoy it. We stopped when Grandma came to visit and need to get back to it;)

My only problem is with Ethan, he keeps playing around with the little animation stuff and I have to remind him to LISTEN to his lesson but other than that we like it :thumbup:.

I especially love that I don't have to grade the lessons. I can go into my teacher account, check to see what he missed and if too many were have him do those problems again. I can also print out his grades.

My oldest son Josh tried this two years ago and couldn't stand it because the math problems {the numbers} didn't sit on the yellow notebook paper and that really bothered him :blink: and the animation was too much (I think he has some sensory issues though). Over the summer we tried it again but only used the workbook and that was much more quiet and uncluttered for him.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Hm... My 9yo who struggles with math is using TT5 as a supplement this year, and there are good things about it. As you said, the computer is endlessly patient, and it never lets that hint of frustration and impatience slip into its tone the way I might. ;) That aspect is very, very good. It's encouraging, and TT has really helped to build her confidence because it's *easy* and it offers a lot of positive reinforcement.

That said, it's a small portion of the math she does each day, and I can't imagine it being adequate on its own. Truly. ... Now, I do place a very high value on a strong mathematical foundation. I don't really *care* that my daughter isn't naturally math-oriented, I care that she *learns* it and she learns it *well*. So while TT has been great for helping her feel competent and confident, I don't see it doing as much for *skill* and understanding. The problems are mostly shallow, predictable, and easy. In a way, that's okay -- but it's not stretching her to be *better* at math.

That said, combining the confidence boosting of TT with 15 minutes daily using Timez Attack (it's free and gimmicky as it is, it seems to be working better for us than other drill we've tried -- again, perhaps in part because the computer issues no judgment -- dd needs a *lot* of practice to get her facts, but after a little over a month, I *am* seeing some slow improvement) and two lessons of Horizons 4 each day and some couch-snuggling with Life of Fred (again, not a whole lot of content, but it gives her just a little more reinforcement), I'm seeing some real, meaningful improvements in her ability.

But I wouldn't use TT alone. Sure, my daughter would love it. But she wouldn't be *learning* as much. (I should probably admit that I'm a little skewed already -- my son has a lot of natural math ability, and while he works hard at math, it was never a mystery to him the way it has been to her...)

BTW, dd refers to TT as "baby math". She likes it. A lot. And will sometimes even ask to do it on her own time. But she considers it "too easy" and has even toyed with the idea of being offended by it. TT5 is definitely easier than, say Horizons 3...

ETA: a TT lesson takes her about 15 minutes per day.

Edited by abbeyej

TT 4 will be here on Monday. I can't wait to use it with my struggling reader! He is very mathy and bright, but until vision therapy starts showing signs of improvement - he needs to hear the math lecture. He took the test, watch the intro and seems to be very excited!

TT 5 will be here, too. I bought a used version that won't work on my MAC (bummer!) so I have to sell it and then my daughter will start TT 5.

I am very hopeful that this will free up some of my one-on-one time so I can spend more with my 1st grader and pre-K'er!

I use TT3 for a mathy 1st grader, and TT4 for an average 3rd grader (actually I think the 3rd grader is *good* at math, but has dyslexia issues that make math more rigorous for her right now.)

We love all love it.

I also do not have the experience of TT taking only 15 minutes a day. If it did, I'd think it was because the content was trivial and that it was time to get the next level up. If my youngest starts having that experience, my plan is to have her do 2 lessons a day until things get challenging for her. IMO I don't see any reason a mathy kid can't be doing algebra in 5th grade and TT might actually let them get there quicker.

My 1st grader does a lesson of TT3 in about 30 minutes, which I think is an appropriate amount of time to spend on math for a 6 yr old (plus we add in facts practice for proficiency). My 3rd grader spends about 45 minutes on early TT4. Late TT3, she was spending 90 minutes some days. Granted she did have *issues* that are related to dyslexia, like subtracting when she is supposed to add or imputing 21 instead of 12.. this makes things take longer, but also TT was helpful because of the audio-visual aspect.

I feel like I keep linking this, but seriously it is a great, in depth review from our very own Nance.

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

This answered all questions for me. We are just finishing up grade 3 and about to start grade 4. We love it. Ds is happier with math, Mom is happier!

I really am so glad that you found it helpful and that you are happy with TT!

Anyway, yeah, I was going to post that I used it for TT5 the first time (last year) which is a grade older than what you're asking about, but really, really loved it. It just built so much confidence and a new enjoyment of math and freed up so much time for me, and on top of all that, improved her test scores from the previous year, too. Pretty significantly! I couldn't be happier! Using TT again this year.

thank you SO much, everyone. Nance, I got all emotional at the end of your review on your blog, when I read how your daughter now says she is good at math. That is awesome! :D

I have decided to order TT4 after looking through the contents of both TT3 and TT4 and reviewing the placement tests. Anything she might not know already we can address as it comes up. We had a lesson yesterday on fractions (which she seems to understand somewhat intuitively) and multiplying a large number by a single digit (which she'd never done before but grasped quite quickly), so I don't see a need to do TT3.

Thanks again, everyone. I am thinking I will also get the Daily Math Practice book and the Primary Grade Challenge Math to give me a chance to work math with her directly everyday.

Piano teacher asks "What is your favorite subject?".

My DD reply is "Teaching Textbooks!".

I guess that says it all right? My DD loves working on the computer by herself and using TT3. It keeps her focused and on task! Hope they come out with more for my younger to start on these sooner.

I watch her do her lessons, because I'm curious how it works. I like how it will throw in some problems from previous lectures and I like that each problem has an option to view how the problem is worked out.

thank you SO much, everyone. Nance, I got all emotional at the end of your review on your blog, when I read how your daughter now says she is good at math. That is awesome! :D

I have decided to order TT4....

Yeah, that got me emotional, too, when it actually happened lol. Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!