Menu

I'm stumped on what "other" subjects we should be doing.

ChristusG

I have a 2nd grader (7) and a pre-schooler (4). Aside from the Three R's, I'm undecided about what we should be doing.

We started with a science, didn't like it, and now I'm waiting for Apologia Astronomy to arrive in the mail (along with the Junior Notebooking Journal). So we'll definitely be doing science one day a week. Other than that, I'm not sure.

We started doing SOTW 1 last year, but my kids just weren't into it. I tried making it easier by just playing the audio CD while they quietly played or colored....but they still weren't interested. I'm wondering if a different type of history would work? I really wanted SOTW to work.

I'm not interested in doing anything like latin with them. We did try out sign language, which they kind of liked.

What about social studies? What does that encompass? We finished a 1st grade map skills book this summer. We have the 2nd grade one but it is kind of basically the same thing.

Just wondering what we should be doing at this age? I'm putting a lot of effort into the Three R's right now since DD7 is dyslexic. She's doing well though. DD4 tags along in all of our subjects.

What about lapbooks on topics of interest? Those are usually fun and are a great way to use LA skills. You can find quite a few free ones online.

You could do some memory work; poetry, states, landmarks, presidents. Or what about art? Discovering Great Artists is a favorite here.

At that age I don't think there is a whole lot else that you SHOULD be doing. A couple of 2-3 hours a day of school work, lots of books for you and she to read and lots of playtime sounds like a great 2nd grade year to me.

I have TeacherFileBox from EvanMoor (got it on sale a month or so ago) and I get their "Daily" science, math word problems, language, writing, etc for free. We're doing Grade 1, and I like the fact that these don't take much time but add a variety of subjects to our curriculum VERY painlessly...

At that age, with the three R's covered, I'd suggest adding in playdates, park days, library storytimes, art / drama / music / sport classes or lessons, nature walks, and so on. Where I live there is quite a strong homeschool community that is forever organizing one-off opportunities: we just got back from a tour of a local chocolate factory (yum!) this afternoon. And most other nearby historical sites, museums, science centres, zoos, nature centres and the like have one-off 'homeschooler days' as well. Anything like that near you?

You could do unit studies. Or you could even do something like FIAR.

We enjoy our science and history progression, but I don't think it actually matters that much when it comes down to it. I think it's important to be doing *something* for art, history, geography, science, etc. but I don't think it has to be anything in particular.

If you want to try history, we are enjoying a Child's History of the World. I second the FIAR and nature walks suggestions. Lots of time outside, lots of stories. And don't feel guilty - I've been there (still am) with reading issues. There are only so many hours in the day.

Galloping The Globe? You can do as much or as little as you like with it and plenty of bunny trail opportunities.

Galloping the Globe or Expedition Earth (they are very similar). Geography and social studies together.

Have a read-aloud going at all times. Memorize poetry (recommending, once again, IEW's Language Aquisition Through Poetry), crafts, painting. Memory work, Bible, poetry, etc.

:iagree:Definitely some poetry memorisation and memory work.

For history, maybe read some Usborne books...Living Long Ago, or Encyclopedia of World History to read and do some related projects out of the SOTW AG as interest leads. I'm surprised how much info my 6yo retains from just reading these.

Art projects, maybe from Maryann Kohl books (check your library). Some how-to-draw lessons using Draw Write Now books or watch some Mark Kistler free videos.

Don't try to do too much if you've got a baby coming, the lighter schedule will help you in the coming months!

My daughter is 8 and this is the list of "subjects" we cover each week (some lessons are very short, 5-10 minutes, so it's not overwhelming):

History - daily

Literature - 2 pieces daily, plus one read aloud as a family

Reading - daily

Phonics - daily

Math - daily

Grammar - 3x week or more

Geography - 2x a week

Biography - 1x a week

Art - 1-2 x a week

Artist Study - 1x a week

Composer study - 1x a week

Music listening - 2x or more a week

Recorder playing - 2x or more a week

Vocabulary (Latin and Greek root words) - 2x or more a week

Spelling - 3x a week

Physical Education - daily

Science - 2-3x a week

Nature Study - 1x a week

Health - 1x a week

Scripture stories and memorization - 2x or more a week

Copywork - 1-2 x a week

Cursive handwriting - 3x a week

Might be a few ideas in there for you. Lessons don't have to be a big thing. Avoid busy work at all costs! We are actually much more relaxed this year but doing much more. It's working beautifully.

Add in field trips, park days, library, etc and that should be plenty to choose from to "enrich" them. Have fun!!

https://scribinglife.wordpress.com/education/kindergarten/curriculum/ here is our kindy list

my Kindy son (and PreK tag along) also do critial thinking, puzzles and sheets where the point is to talk though the thinking, or to be able to expalin to momma the why not just the ansver.

we are doing a study of the 7 continets -- doing art and reading stories from each -- as social studies.

art 2x a veek and science labs

Bible

memory vork

and LOT of read a louds

Do your girls like having you read library books? The Let's Read and Find Out science series is really good and has a lot of books. You could even use the SOTW activity book lists to just read library books. We also use the Sonlight lists to check books out and they have a great variety of read alouds and science and history books.

We've yet to make it to second grade, but I'm finding that for first grade I'm having a similar dilemma - I fear that we're not doing enough, but don't want to include extra busy work.

Our very best days and weeks involve lots of extra reading (trips to the library, scavenging used book sources) and simply more conversation (I'm an introvert and it takes effort for me to be talking most of the day, so this is a biggie for me). Discovering the books together in the library or book stores makes them so much more interesting than if I pull them out and say "this is what you're going to learn today".

I imagine this, along with the basics, is something we'll keep up for at least the next year.

Could you do Geography instead of History, at least for this year?

Read aloud every day. :001_smile:

Play outside every day (weather permitting).

Listen to classic audiobooks (IMO, SOTW does not fall into this category).

Those would be my "other" subjects for children at 7 and 4.

Hey, wait a minute! I have a 6.5 year old and two 4.5 year olds! Hey, that's what WE do. :lol: