Menu

What level of swim skill?

What level of swim skill do your require in your child, if it's a given that the child will never be on a swim team or the like?

My daughter has always had an issue with water, she's never been comfortable with water on her face, and it was only this year with weekly classes that's she's learned the basic of swim skills. We tried another swim class when she was younger, but she got nothing out of it. We've tried teaching her ourselves and that didn't work either.

Boo is in the 3rd level - turtle 2 (Swimmers focus on the correct arm, leg and breathing coordination for three stokes: Freestyle, Breaststroke, and Backstroke. Swimmers also get an introduction to the butterfly)- at swimming. Honestly, I think they moved her up from the previous level too soon. While she demonstrated the needed skill to move on, she is not consistent or comfortable, but she's older by a couple of years than the other children in her class, which may have been to push to move her up.

I don't know if she's just reached a plateau or if these is the best it gets with her or what the issue is (teacher says Boo is afraid to actually bring her arm out of the water properly for the breast stroke because she doesn't want to splash water on her face.)

She does two strokes and goes back to the doggie paddle - this has been going on for a couple months and Daddy wants to pull her from class because he sees it as a waste of money, if she's going not to improve. He sees it as her not putting effort into it.

Unless can get over this fear, I don't think she can advance further, mentally or physically. She's not motivated to practice and is content with the little skill she has to get around in a pool and play. But I do not feel comfortable with her swimming in a non pool environment, but that may not matter, because she doesn't like the beach anyway.

Would you push to continue classes and a stronger skill set, or accept this just may be her limit?

Edited by piraterose

Having been a lifeguard, I agree with Scuff. It isn't swimming per se that's the most valuable thing, it's knowing how to stay afloat, not panic and have a level of comfort in the water should something happen (fall in unexpectedly, boat capsizes, etc.).

If anything, I'd work on level of comfort with her, especially the face in the water or getting it wet. Take it slowly. I wouldn't necessarily do lessons, or if I did, I'd keep the lesson level easier than what you think she can do so she can work on comfort and survival skills more than stroke skills - one can learn to "swim" strokes at any age, at this age, she needs to know how to keep herself above water in an emergency!

My goal is personal safety and survival. I require them to be able to pass the deep water test at our converted quarry swimming complex - which entails them swimming over 100 meters using front crawl with good side breathing technique. They are very strict because the deep water section is 15 feet deep, about 1/2 acre and the water is not clear. I also require them to know basic lifesaving.

When my kids were taking swim lessons my goal was that they be able to survive. To me that meant solid strokes (50yds with no stopping) in freestyle and backstroke. Learning how to float, not panic in the water, tread water, etc.

As it turned out, both my kids love swimming and do swim team

I have a son with sensory issues, and he can struggle in the water at times. (being on his back absolutely freaks him out.) I am aiming for him to complete all six red-cross levels, however long it takes. He's currently 2/3. I want him to be a competent swimmer. as they get older, it's easier.

I may be putting him back into adapted aquatics and out of the level program for now. But level six is the goal.

My goal is that they be able to survive in the water. It's up to them if they want to perfect beyond that.

This.

We have an inground pool, and my kids are all very comfortable in the water. They'd better be with all the whitewater canoeing they do!

Our place of lessons has 7 levels (the 7th level is for lifegaurding so 6 swim levels) my goal is to have them swim until they pass level 4 and are comfortable in level 5. This means the kids can easily swim the length of the pool down and back without needing to stop and rest using any of the basic strokes (anything but butterfly).

That being said, my kids do not go swimming outside of lessons so they have no outside practice and probably don't progress as fast as someone who swims more often. However, our place says it is normal for kids to remain in the same level for 2 or more sessions. My non-interested swimming kid spent two full years in level 3 (6 sessions) before he passed and after two sessions in level 4 is still the weakest kid in his class. But we persist because once those skills are learned they are never lost (like riding a bike you just don't forget). My kids do go fishing on a boat and I want them to be comfortable that if they ever end up in the water, they can keep themselves upright and calm until someone can get to them.

Concerning your daughter, she's 7 which is pretty young in the scheme of things (lessons don't even start until 5 here) so if things are done as the same scale as mine, then I think level 3 by 7 is actually doing quite well. My 8 1/2 year old is still in level 2.

Personally I would continue with the lessons, I think your hubby is a bit premature in expecting rapid improvement in a few months- my kids I measured improvement over the span of a year not months. And more exposure to water not less is they way for her to make improvement.

Concerning your daughter, she's 7 which is pretty young in the scheme of things (lessons don't even start until 5 here) so if things are done as the same scale as mine, then I think level 3 by 7 is actually doing quite well. My 8 1/2 year old is still in level 2.

Interesting, that your classes don't start until 5 - our start around 6 month, and most 2 to 4 year olds I know swim so much better than Boo at age 7. She is in a class with 3-4 year olds. Maybe our level system is different than yours.

We live in South Florida where swimming (pools and ocean) can be an all year thing, which may be the difference.

If the fear of water in her face is what's holding her back, what about weekly trips to the pool and just splashing around in the shallow end?

We've done this for the last 5 years - she's a little better than she was at age 2-3 but I don't know if she will ever be comfortable.

Me, I require my kids to be able to swim at least 500 yards easily and without tiring or stopping. We have a lot of water.

For your dd, I would suggest more fun water time. That means you or dad need to get in and play with her.:D Have her practice getting her face wet in the tub and shower at home. While in the pool, let her wear a life jacket if it makes her or you more comfortable; just make sure she is ending up with water in her face. Let her splash you too, fair is fair. I would actually recommend trying to have her in a pool at least an hour on a daily basis until she becomes comfortable in the water. Once she is comfortable, try lessons again. You may even find that she will naturally progress enough to easily pass the level she is currently in.

I do have to mention that I have found swim lessons to be fairly pointless unless they are daily for beginners. (Unless a parent is taking them the other days to practice/play) A minimum of 3 times a week for all other stages.

More on fun: water guns (if the pool allows if not in the yard/ wear goggles and allow face shots), jumping from the side, underwater tea parties (make sure you talk underwater), racing to the side, riding on your back across the pool (go under while she holds on), Barbies, noodles to jump over/flip over in the water, do handstands, flips in the water, try to remember what was fun for you when you were at the pool.

Edited by Lolly

Guest wealthcare

Age is also an important factor here. You cannot expect a 1 year old to swim like a teenager.

Since drowning is the #1 cause of death for kids under 4 in 14 States, I believe that for younger children (under 4), teaching them to survive should they fall into water should be more important than potty training.

There is a great Nationwide program at Infant Swim Resources (ISR) ( www.infantswim.com ) that has been around for 40 years and has trained nearly 300,000 infants and todlers to survive. Almost 800 of those kid who had been through the program were later found surviving in situations where they would've normally drowned (adults found them floating in a body of water after they had wandered off or been unattended).

We had worked with our daughter from 3 months to 18 months trying to get her comfortable with water by putting her in a pool or bath tub and having her kick, paddle, blow bubbles, etc. By 18 months she was swimming under water about 15 feet, but was NOT SAFE in water. She could not float nor rescue herself. She had become so comfortable with water that she was at more risk than a child that was afraid to go near it. This summer (at 2 1/2) we put her into an ISR program and after 5 weeks she was put in the middle of a pool with all her clothes on (and shoes) and she easily "rescued" herself, by floating and paddling to the side and pulling herself out.

(For kids under 12 months, they teach them to simply float and call for help, since they are physically unable to grab the sides of most pools.)

Age is also an important factor here. You cannot expect a 1 year old to swim like a teenager.

Since drowning is the #1 cause of death for kids under 4 in 14 States, I believe that for younger children (under 4), teaching them to survive should they fall into water should be more important than potty training.

There is a great Nationwide program at Infant Swim Resources (ISR) ( www.infantswim.com ) that has been around for 40 years and has trained nearly 300,000 infants and todlers to survive. Almost 800 of those kid who had been through the program were later found surviving in situations where they would've normally drowned (adults found them floating in a body of water after they had wandered off or been unattended).

We had worked with our daughter from 3 months to 18 months trying to get her comfortable with water by putting her in a pool or bath tub and having her kick, paddle, blow bubbles, etc. By 18 months she was swimming under water about 15 feet, but was NOT SAFE in water. She could not float nor rescue herself. She had become so comfortable with water that she was at more risk than a child that was afraid to go near it. This summer (at 2 1/2) we put her into an ISR program and after 5 weeks she was put in the middle of a pool with all her clothes on (and shoes) and she easily "rescued" herself, by floating and paddling to the side and pulling herself out.

(For kids under 12 months, they teach them to simply float and call for help, since they are physically unable to grab the sides of most pools.)

:iagree:

Our goals were for our children to be able to save themselves, but ALSO, to be able to save their children when they are the parents. I don't want my children standing on shore watching their children drown, like happened to that family a year or two ago. They aren't likely to learn this as adults. It is my job to ensure they learn it now. I defined this as earning lifeguard certification.

Our place of lessons has 7 levels (the 7th level is for lifegaurding so 6 swim levels) my goal is to have them swim until they pass level 4 and are comfortable in level 5. This means the kids can easily swim the length of the pool down and back without needing to stop and rest using any of the basic strokes (anything but butterfly).

These are the Red Cross levels. You should know that Level 4 is the same as the old Beginner Swimmer, not the same as the old Swimmer (which used to be the fourth level.)

My non-interested swimming kid spent two full years in level 3 (6 sessions) before he passed and after two sessions in level 4 is still the weakest kid in his class.

This is fairly normal, even for interested kids. It is hard to develop the endurance to pass level 4 without swimming everyday. They should not expect to pass a level with every two week session.

Keep plugging away at it, just like at math and spelling. It is at least as important and deserves as much time and effort.

It was one thing my mom insisted on with her 7 kids....and we all passed that onto our children and so forth! To have that knowlegde is not only life saving for themselves but possibly for someone else who might be near them later in life and struggling or in a complete panic! And as one mom here stated...it could be their own children!..... I'd definitely not give up at all!

We are a 'swim' family and really I never expected that to happen, but we were regular attenders of our swim club and to be on their team you just had to swim a wee bit...they had something for 'pre-competitors' and that is how our daughter continued her swimming skills. My sons were older and already set swimmers but thru joining the summer swim team they all got 'free' lesson daily and of course, their skill level went from 'backyard swimmer' to 'competitive swimmer' in no time. We didn't push it...they wanted to keep with it and so we did and have many years of fun with it. (even then I did not do the 'daily swim' thing...that burns out so many great swimmers)

Soo...for us...thru our swimclub one could sign up for the team for free...and get coached for free...I couldn't have afforded that in 'private lessons'. It was a huge booster for our family!!! Out of the 3, one has their cpr/lifeguard certification and has lifeguarded...but more importantly...they are strong, confident swimmers. I will always feel at ease about that & also that from that they have learned a healthy fear of the water, which is just as important.

Edited by Momto3indians

Our requirement is that the kids can stay above water for 20 minutes and use any kind of movement to get them moving into a specific direction. This means they will not drown and can tread water until help arrives.

Help did not arrive within 20 minutes for any of the three kids that drowned around here this summer.

I want them to be able to swim well enough to save themselves, behave appropriately if they find them selves in the water so know how to float/ tread water that kind of thing.

My dd did 5 very unsuccessful and expensive terms of swimming lessons. We finally gave up with them and started following the uswim website lesson plans. She's done really well with that and will now stay calm when she gets water splashed on her-she used to freak out even 8 weeks ago. She is getting the hang of floating and treading water and just generally what to do and how to float. Her freestyle and backstroke are coming along too. I have a feeling she'll keep going with swimming though and we'll enroll her back in lessons at some point.

My original goal-

Be so comfortable in the water that they could be accidently immersed (e.g., play-dunked, knocked into the deep end of a pool, fall out of a near-shore raft/canoe) and recover and get to safety without panicking. All of this had to be without goggles - in other words, water in the face/eyes couldn't result in panic. We live in an area where pool parties, lake trips, and ponds are the norm, so this was critical.

It took 2 years of multiple swim lesson sessions before oldest DS (now 11) would even put his face in the water, but we persisted. And now? He can pass the boy scout swim test (which requires actual technique and minimum swim distances), and he and DS8 do competitive swimming. Not that you want to do the latter, but getting past that first comfort level is the big step.