Menu

I hate reading outloud and audio books!

AngelBee

I just want to give you a hug! :grouphug:

Which books have you tried? I always let my kids play with something while I read or color a picture (I print free coloring sheets off the internet). We have a whole basket of read aloud items like silly putty and some stuff I bought off of this website. We also do memorization and read alouds during lunch.

HUGS. I feel you. I do enjoy reading Lit out loud when the kids sit still and listen. Mine are dd 11, ds 9, and dd 3. The big kids do well with Lit, but I dislike reading aloud History and Science because they can't get it through their heads not to interrupt with questions. I can't tell you how many times I've explained to them questions are to be asked after the reading is done. The three year old generally gets antsy and disruptive when I read aloud for any length. So between the three of them I want to pull my hair out. I do try to interest her in activities, but this worked better last year. I'm actually going to start assigning Science and History as read alones and hope for the best because it is a source of unnecessary stress for me.

I remember those days so fondly so don't give up reading to them aloud! What I would also encourage you to do is to keep going! Keep it fun...keep the stories short...and watch for 'their way' of listening!'

My 3 kids (2 boys/1 girl) each had their own way of listening to me read aloud and at first I thought they weren't listening, but then mixed with what age they were at, was their own personal response to listening! One doodled on a tablet of paper while another loved to color in her coloring books. The oldest would like lay there and often time close his eyes. I thought he was sleeping but the majority of the time wasn't!

It takes time to establish habits! It's worth trying again & again at. I loved reading aloud and even started to get rather good with voices and inflections and knowing when to 'stop' leaving them thirsty for more. I also learned when to read to them..what worked for our own family.

I hope this helps you! God bless!!

i read at teh table and they color, or i read in bed at night.

DS1 -- 5.75 -- could sit for hours and be read to -- DS2 3.75 is JUST starting to NOT scream and pull the book ... he is a tough one.

even 5.75 just this month is able to handle 'more than' short "32 page picture books" and follov anything that lasts more than one sitting.

Audio books in the car. Just starting to track them too --

:grouphug::grouphug:

Ok....I think the main thing is surround noise. I can not drown enough out to make it productive.

I just tried 3-7 min stories, but did it in stations and all but dd2 could orally narrate the story back to me. Dd2 also listened without misbehavior during her turn.

So the issue is taking almost 15 mins to do a 3 min story as I can only do one at a time. :( That will NOT work for longer stories. :confused:

We have tried fables, short stories, books, SL selections, AO selections, board books! :lol: Chaos ALWAYS ensues. :glare:

I'd break it up into two groups. Read something like Roald Dahl or EB White to the older kids. Something short with chapters to get started and I'd probably do it while the two youngest are taking a nap (or at bedtime after the younger ones are in bed). Then the two youngers ones I'd read to them when I put them down for a nap or right before they go to bed. For that age group I'd stick with picture books only.

Well that's good that one can listen! How about combining TWO kids now, and have the others in a separate room? You might play with the combinations to see which kids do best together.

I struggle with read-alouds also. My biggest problem is the 2 year old, but summer before last, I tried to do a read-aloud with just my then-3.5 year old and newly 6 year old, and it really didn't go well. They could not for the life of them SIT and listen. :lol: I cracked down and did mean mommy, making them sit quietly. A year later, they sit very well for stories, even pictureless chapter books. It's the 2 year old that doesn't. :glare:

If I have all 3, they will be wild and all over the place. I haven't yet been able to tame them all at once. Without the 2 year old, things go well though. And the 2 year old can now do longer picture books. Yay! Now if he'd stop tearing books when left alone with them. :tongue_smilie:

I'd break it up into two groups. Read something like Roald Dahl or EB White to the older kids. Something short with chapters to get started and I'd probably do it while the two youngest are taking a nap (or at bedtime after the younger ones are in bed). Then the two youngers ones I'd read to them when I put them down for a nap or right before they go to bed. For that age group I'd stick with picture books only.

I think that is a big issue for us. There is no time without little ones around.

They all go to bed at same time (late :001_huh: ) and dd2 doesn't always nap. :(

Ds6 and dd4 haven't napped for years. I think I need to truly enforce a quit time. I am really struggling.

Or stricter bedtime routine with tiered bedtimes.

I think that is a big issue for us. There is no time without little ones around.

They all go to bed at same time (late :001_huh: ) and dd2 doesn't always nap. :(

Ds6 and dd4 haven't napped for years. I think I need to truly enforce a quit time. I am really struggling.

Or stricter bedtime routine with tiered bedtimes.

Time to get strict, mama! :D We have 7pm bedtime for everyone (oldest is 7 - this will change when they get older, of course). The 2 year old has a strict nap time, whether he wants to nap or not (he usually doesn't). The 4 year old (soon to be 5) gets a nap when I think he needs it, or sometimes I'll just have him play in his room for quiet time. I can't implement a whole house quiet time right now because we can't finish school while 2 year old is awake. :tongue_smilie:

I love that I have MOMMY TIME after 7pm. It's worth it for that!!!

Time to get strict, mama! :D We have 7pm bedtime for everyone (oldest is 7 - this will change when they get older, of course). The 2 year old has a strict nap time, whether he wants to nap or not (he usually doesn't). The 4 year old (soon to be 5) gets a nap when I think he needs it, or sometimes I'll just have him play in his room for quiet time. I can't implement a whole house quiet time right now because we can't finish school while 2 year old is awake. :tongue_smilie:

I love that I have MOMMY TIME after 7pm. It's worth it for that!!!

See that is the issue. I work at night. :( No mommy time.

I coach dance team and own a dance academy I instruct at. So minimum I am there 3 nights a week 3pm-9pm. :001_huh:

Also the kids (not all, but some...depending on the night) have class.

Confusing enough??? :tongue_smilie:

With my two (5 & 3) I correct them when they interrupt, but I stop shortly after an interruption to ask if anyone has any questions. That gives them the confidence to wait for questions time and I also try to make them keep their questions relevant. If my 3 yr old doesn't want to listen, he has to go play quietly in his room so that he won't interrupt the story for us. We're reading books like Little House, which are good, chapter books that have a picture every few pages. The pictures give them something to look forward to, and when they look ahead at pictures and ask me what the picture is about I always say, "I don't know, we'll have to read to find out." So they listen closely to find out about the pictures. It does take training for kids to be able to sit still and listen to a story, and training is just another word for practice with corrections.

I dislike reading aloud History and Science because they can't get it through their heads not to interrupt with questions. I can't tell you how many times I've explained to them questions are to be asked after the reading is done.

We are the exact opposite. I don't mind reading science and history, but I can count on two hands (if that!) how many story books I read to them last year.

But goshdarnit we're going to read Charlotte's Web this year! They are interrupting a lot, but I can tell they're enjoying it a great deal. We've only read through Chapter Three, but woo hoo!!!

But goshdarnit we're going to read Charlotte's Web this year! They are interrupting a lot, but I can tell they're enjoying it a great deal. We've only read through Chapter Three, but woo hoo!!!

Charlotte's Web took me over THREE months! :001_huh:

We did have an awesome party though at the end. Had fried fair foods buffet (love my dh!) and watched the cartoon and new movie. They talked for weeks discussing the three. :)

Tried SOTW and was a bust. :(

http://storynory.com/

free story dovnloads. burn to CD for car. many many many are short -- they have aslop's fables and tons of traditional fariy talkes. Natashia is our fav reader --the boys ask for her by name in car.

fun, short stories and poems -- maybe STOV vasn't fun enough or vas too long?

http://storynory.com/

free story dovnloads. burn to CD for car. many many many are short -- they have aslop's fables and tons of traditional fariy talkes. Natashia is our fav reader --the boys ask for her by name in car.

fun, short stories and poems -- maybe STOV vasn't fun enough or vas too long?

We are using http://www.storynory.com for older ones with head phones ONE at a time. :lol: LOVE her voice!

Never thought to download and bring in car. Great idea!

I only do read-alouds right before bed with my 4.5 year old. We read 2-3 books each day, depending on the length. He chooses one book, and I choose one or two more. I could read them earlier, but his attention span is longer, and his energy level is lower before bed. It's the perfect combination, and it's also been part of our bedtime routine since he was 2, so I'm going to keep it up.

Just want to add... I always thought I loved reading out loud to my kids, but it turns out that when it comes to chapter books, I just like the IDEA of it. The doing is TOUGH as anything. It's so SLOW! And as a fast reader myself, I get so impatient hearing only a few paragraphs of a long story!

Luckily, my kids love it, so I slog through it. Before I hs'd, I rarely finished a book... we'd just kind of read a bit and drift off. Now, I figure we have to, because it's my kids' only education. :-)))

But as I blogged at the time, in 16 years of raising kids, I finished my first chapter book only last July!

I don't have hands as full as yours, but I do like reading in my bed; I convince myself it's "down time." ;-)

(plus, in the summer, there's a/c in there!)

So find a setting that you like, a nice variety of books for the different ages (my 3yo will sit through the 6yo's books if he knows one of his choices is coming, and he can flip through the picture book while he waits).

Also, the Read-Aloud Handbook (very helpful book, by the way!) says not to read books that you personally don't like. I love this rule, and refuse to read stupid Disney-fied versions of classic books as a result. I used to feel guilty because my daughter wanted me to read Princess or Barbie stuff, but now I just feel relieved that I don't have to.

Definitely sounds like you should implement a quiet time! My younger two nap (sometimes simultaneously! :-O) and my older two sit on their beds with a book or something else equally quiet. Then, when I'm done putting the toddler down, I come out and do storytime with the olders. I look forward to that quiet time, though. :)

Also, the Read-Aloud Handbook (very helpful book, by the way!) says not to read books that you personally don't like. I love this rule, and refuse to read stupid Disney-fied versions of classic books as a result. I used to feel guilty because my daughter wanted me to read Princess or Barbie stuff, but now I just feel relieved that I don't have to.

I won't read those but as horrible as this sounds, I find it's helpful in motivating my kids to learn to read. They can read those books when they can read themselves.

As much as I can empathize that being interrupted is frustrating for us adults, my understanding is that it is a very important thing for kids to be doing. I've read studies that found that kids who were allowed to ask questions during read-alouds did better on comprehension tests on that material, and also were better at drawing connections between that material and other books, their own life, the news, etc. We certainly want our older kids who are reading independently to ask questions while reading; strong students scribble notes / comments / questions in the margin of university texts, novels, etc. (or have a notebook nearby to do the same thing). In my first-year psychology class, which was taught in small tutorials via videos due to the overwhelming number of students (1600!), I saw this myself. We had two different tutorial assistants during the year. The first simply popped the video in the VCR and ran it from start to finish, and asked at the end of the 30-45 minute lecture if there were any questions. The second tutorial assistant paused the video regularly to clarify something, ask questions, and allow us to ask things or make comments. Our class tutorial average went from just below failing (48%) at mid-term (TA 1) to about 70% by the end of the year (TA 2). And we all talked about how much more we liked the class now!

If we want our kids to engage with text (or lectures), how do we develop it? To me, the young adult who later draws connections between one novel and another, one concept and another, one area of study and another is exercising the same skill as my 9-year-old who exclaims, "Hey! Charlie [from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory] is the same age as me!" or my 6-year-old who mused one day, "Mom, why are so many kids' stories about mice? [We'd recently read Stuart Little, the Ralph Mouse series and started Freddle] Is it because mice are little, just like kids?"

The trick, IME, is to find a way to allow their questions and comments without (a) going nuts yourself, or (b) completely losing the flow of the story. For (a), simply understanding that my kids' comments were their way of engaging more meaningfully with the material helped me change my views (ahhhhh! So they aren't trying to drive my crazy on purpose! :D), and for (b) I now pause regularly in places as we read, sometimes ask open-ended questions or simply be quiet a moment allowing the space for comments. Sometimes I read and allow the boys to comment whenever they like; sometimes I hold up a "just a sec" finger when one starts talking so I can finish the paragraph. And we've talked explicitly about the problem of too many comments--it can be hard to follow the story. (Demonstrating this myself by stopping to ask them a question about the text after every sentence elicited giggles).

Just my two cents and YMMV, of course.

have you read Honey for the child's heart: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Childs-Heart-Gladys-Hunt/dp/0310242460/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316103752&sr=1-1 -- it is amazongly motivatioal and insprieing re: keeping at it and getting it to vork somehov.

it reaklly is an amazing book and i do not say that all that often, many are good, this one is amazing --

As much as I can empathize that being interrupted is frustrating for us adults, my understanding is that it is a very important thing for kids to be doing. I've read studies that found that kids who were allowed to ask questions during read-alouds did better on comprehension tests on that material, and also were better at drawing connections between that material and other books, their own life, the news, etc. We certainly want our older kids who are reading independently to ask questions while reading; strong students scribble notes / comments / questions in the margin of university texts, novels, etc. (or have a notebook nearby to do the same thing). In my first-year psychology class, which was taught in small tutorials via videos due to the overwhelming number of students (1600!), I saw this myself. We had two different tutorial assistants during the year. The first simply popped the video in the VCR and ran it from start to finish, and asked at the end of the 30-45 minute lecture if there were any questions. The second tutorial assistant paused the video regularly to clarify something, ask questions, and allow us to ask things or make comments. Our class tutorial average went from just below failing (48%) at mid-term (TA 1) to about 70% by the end of the year (TA 2). And we all talked about how much more we liked the class now!

If we want our kids to engage with text (or lectures), how do we develop it? To me, the young adult who later draws connections between one novel and another, one concept and another, one area of study and another is exercising the same skill as my 9-year-old who exclaims, "Hey! Charlie [from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory] is the same age as me!" or my 6-year-old who mused one day, "Mom, why are so many kids' stories about mice? [We'd recently read Stuart Little, the Ralph Mouse series and started Freddle] Is it because mice are little, just like kids?"

The trick, IME, is to find a way to allow their questions and comments without (a) going nuts yourself, or (b) completely losing the flow of the story. For (a), simply understanding that my kids' comments were their way of engaging more meaningfully with the material helped me change my views (ahhhhh! So they aren't trying to drive my crazy on purpose! :D), and for (b) I now pause regularly in places as we read, sometimes ask open-ended questions or simply be quiet a moment allowing the space for comments. Sometimes I read and allow the boys to comment whenever they like; sometimes I hold up a "just a sec" finger when one starts talking so I can finish the paragraph. And we've talked explicitly about the problem of too many comments--it can be hard to follow the story. (Demonstrating this myself by stopping to ask them a question about the text after every sentence elicited giggles).

Just my two cents and YMMV, of course.

Sooooooo much to chew on! Thanks. :)

have you read Honey for the child's heart: http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Childs-Heart-Gladys-Hunt/dp/0310242460/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316103752&sr=1-1 -- it is amazongly motivatioal and insprieing re: keeping at it and getting it to vork somehov.

it reaklly is an amazing book and i do not say that all that often, many are good, this one is amazing --

Own it and haven't read it. :001_huh:

Off to find it! Thanks :D

You're children are relatively young. I think it takes quicker chapters and books full of action to really engage them at those ages. :grouphug: Have you tried books like The Courage Of Sara Nobel? That's a quick and simple book.

Don't feel obligated to read chapter to chapter, stop when it's a monumental cliff hanger. They'll WANT more.

What do your children do when you read? Do they just sit quietly? Color? Play? I found that my kids can tell me more if they play quietly or color while I read instead of just sitting where their minds can wander.

Read only a couple of sentences and then ask someone to tell you back what you read. Or, better yet. Don't ask them to tell you back instead ask engaging questions like, "What do you think will become of {main character}?" If there's a "sticky situation" ask them what THEY would do to get out of it.

Our family has been known to have conversations around the dinner table that are about nothing more then a fantasy aspect of us being in the story/book. It can completely confuse dh if he's not up to speed on the book, but it allows me to know my children ARE listening.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 6 kids under 6, so I totally know where you're coming from! It can take a lot of energy teaching and directing them, but it's definitely worth the effort! (I have to remind myself many times a day:) I wanted to recommend a couple things:

1. Like someone else recommended, we do read-alouds during lunch or with afternoon snack. If the kids get crazy at mealtimes, it's extremely tiring for me, so I'd rather provide direction so things are interesting and still under control. At lunch I'm usually tired so read-alouds occupy us without too much brain power on my part;) They also have to sit and eat anyways, so less likely that they'll want to run around and not listen.

2. Like someone else mentioned, interruptions can be good, but I'd like to put a caveat to that. When you have lots of littles, interruptions can lead to long rabbit trails to the point that you never actually read the book...talking and making connections is great and a vital part of reading, but another aspect is hearing proper intonation, grammar, complex sentence formation, and even paragraph structure...that doesn't happen with constant interruption. Personally, I don't allow the kids to interrupt, but I interrupt myself often, but I can do that at the end of the paragraph, etc.:) so they don't have much of a problem with it. We also talk about the stories often throughout the day, so during the story is not the only chance.

3. We've read E.B. White, a few of the Little House books, and tons of picture books, but the one I've enjoyed the most is Sideways Stories from Wayside School. Each chapter is very short (2-5 pages), so it doesn't take a huge investment of concentration for long periods. We'll usually read 3 or 4 in a sitting (and they always beg for more), but since each chapter is somewhat independent (although with the same characters) it's a lot easier for kids who aren't used to keeping focus for long periods. It's also extremely funny...the kids always sat open jawed (even my 1 year old!) and I'll admit to reading it on my own at times:D If read aloud time is a chore for you, it probably is for your kids too...a funny book can really put the joy back into the time:)

4. If something isn't working well for your family, don't sweat it or beat yourself up...I'm sure you're doing other things well that others can't fit in, it's just how life works:) Just enjoy the ride :grouphug:

:iagree:This is exactly what I did with mine. I HAD to break them up into two groups because the youngest ones (under 4 or so) just have the hardest time sitting still for longer than 15 minutes.

Please don't give up! Your dc will thank you for it when they are older - mine have! :)

eta - Oh gosh! I didn't realize this thread was almost a month old. How has it been going, AngelBee?

Edited by Mothersweets

I know you said you're not home every evening, but an idea for when you are home: We all go to the younger boys' bedroom, so they can be in bed. My 4yo often complains about the book I'm reading (right now the ONLY book he likes is a collection of Mother Goose rhymes), but if he is tired enough, which he usually is, he'll calm down within a few minutes (especially if I threaten to leave the room -- he likes me to be there until he falls asleep). Then I can read to the older three, and the 4yo falls asleep while I read. The length of our readaloud time usually corresponds directly to how long it takes for my 4yo to drift off. If the baby is already asleep or quiet in my arms, the older boys get their wish of more reading. Of course, if my baby is awake still when we read, which he usually is, he might mess up the whole thing. I stand up holding him and the book and read for as long as he can handle it. Did you say you have a 2yo? I had a hard time with readalouds when my now-4yo was 2. Staggered bedtimes and reading time was the only way for us then and probably will be again when the baby is a little older.

This has worked better than anything else I've ever tried, and we've finally gotten into a good routine this past year. But, I'm going to attempt to change all of that very soon and read in the morning right after breakfast (I've never been able to read at meal times for various reasons). I'll let the boys play with blocks, color, etc., and I really hope my 4yo can handle it and baby naps then. If we can use the morning for the readalouds I choose, then my boys will get back the bedtime stories they can choose. I'm also hoping to be able to read for longer in the morning than we can do at night when we're all so tired. If mornings don't work, we'll go back to night-time.

I hope you find something that works for your family. I agree with others that you should find a book that you all enjoy. Don't worry about it being for history or science or great literature -- just find something really fun while you get into a groove and get your children wanting that readaloud time. Once it is going well, you can introduce more complex literature -- if you want to.

• 5 months later...
AngelBee thinking about you == how are you feeling and how is it going with a toddler in the house?

:grouphug: reading aloud is getting better.....still not great but progress. :) Colton actually loves reading! Lol he is so cute!

Now if I could get dd2 to stop talking while I read.... :D

I know this might not be a very popular option but after doing Sonlight for 2 years, I refuse to read aloud once they hit chapter books. We have abandoned SL and now do SOTW. I have my ds read along in SOTW with the CD and my dd and I just listen. After that I don't read aloud to them any more. I give them fun, pleasurable, chapter books that are on their reading level. My dd has a historical fiction that she helps me pick out assigned for the week and then can read for pleasure at night. We get lots of interesting books at the library for ds to skim or read on the time period we are studying.

When my kids were little I read aloud to them a lot and I think that is an absolute must, but once chapter books roll around I like the independence they have reading to themselves. Have we had to skip some books that were too hard? Absolutely, but I find plenty of alternatives to SL read alouds on their reading level. We do like to talk about the book when they finish it, but in very broad terms. We chase a lot of rabbit holes online after discussions. I don't pre-read so dd will tell me what happened in the book and her favorite parts. Ds has reading comprehension issues so I don't press him too hard. We are working on that in other ways.

We also put our kids to bed very early so we have time at night. Dd is 11 and ds is 9 but they have to be showered and in bed by 8:00 pm This gives them a chance to read for pleasure and to just decompress. It especially helps dh and I preserve our sanity.

Yes, I HATE reading aloud and that is ok!

I don't know if it has been said yet, but we like to listen to audiobooks in the car, driving to a fro activities. E.B. White, Jim Dale.. Nice stuff. Good luck!

Edited by sagira