Menu

Music while studying?

I know this is a tired subject on this forum, and I apologize for bringing it up yet again; however, the "search" function failed me.

My 16 yo ds is home from public school and is working through our state's virtual school for his junior year. I know that the boy processes differently than myself, I am just not sure how differently and where to make adjustments and where to hold the line. He insists that listening to music while working on his math helps him to concentrate. His explanation, if this makes sense, is that while one part of his brain is working on the math, the other part is wandering all over the place. Music gives the wondering part something specific to focus on. :001_huh:

I can work with that, but I find that the MP3 is plugged into his brain the entire school day. I insist that he take it out while participating in LiveLessons and while watching video lectures. We process so differently that I am really at a loss as to what is valid and what is just being a media-obsessed teen. The boy moves 100 mph and does have problems focusing.

Any help from someone who has BTDT would be helpful. I have no problem saying, "It is my way or the highway," but I honestly don't think that is helpful or productive in this case.

I don't know WHY it worked - but I always listened to music when I was studying in college, when I was working out theoretical calculations for my thesis etc (I was even singing along without being aware of it, until the secretary pointed it out one day). I must have spent my entire grad school years with a walkman on my head.

This said: if there is AUDITORY input, such as in a lecture, I do not see how listening to music at the same time would work. I would require my kids too, to switch off music when watching videos, having discussions, anything where there is talking.

Some people think better when listening to music. I have worked at home for the last 12 years, and let me tell you, I get MUCH more done and do a better job at it when I am listening to music than I do when I'm not. Having music on helps my brain keep focused - if I don't have music on, I'll get distracted by something else, it's like not enough of my brain is engaged with my work and so my brain keeps looking for more stimuli. If there's music to appease it, I have no problems. If there's NOT, then I suddenly look up and realize I am websurfing or writing an grocery list or something non work related! So, I would let him listen to music AS LONG AS you are seeing no deterioration in the quality or quantity of his work.

That said, listening to music while also listening to a lecture or participating in a real-time lesson strikes me as not so good. I appreciate that it's hard to stay fully engaged when a lecture or lesson drags, or covers material you already knew, but it's an important life skill to be able to focus when required. Can you have him take notes on his lectures and such? That should help if he's like me and just needs more of his brain to be engaged to keep him from mentally wandering off - it takes a good bit of focus to take good notes. And of course it will help him get more out of the class on several levels.

No great advice from me, except that what I settled on for my son's desire to play music LOUDLY while studying, was that it had to be music with no words. Somehow that seems less intrusive, more of a background, which seemed to help him, in some subjects.

I work better with music, ds works better without. When I write I have to listen to music without lyrics, otherwise my brain wanders, just like your ds mentioned.

However, if you're trying to listen to another person teaching or talking, music is not helpful. In those cases I doodle. When I worked and we had to attend boring weekly meetings, my notes were covered with doodles.

Ds used to never sit when listening, he had to move. He's gotten better with maturity, but he still fidgets.

I wouldn't discount music when studying, but at other times I would require full mental attention on the task at hand.

I don't know WHY it worked - but I always listened to music when I was studying in college, when I was working out theoretical calculations for my thesis etc (I was even singing along without being aware of it, until the secretary pointed it out one day). I must have spent my entire grad school years with a walkman on my head.

This said: if there is AUDITORY input, such as in a lecture, I do not see how listening to music at the same time would work. I would require my kids too, to switch off music when watching videos, having discussions, anything where there is talking.

Thank you Regentrude - I can stop worrying!

Lisa, I've been meaning to start a thread about this too. You're not alone. :tongue_smilie:

My son has Asperger syndrome, but his dr. says it's not just an Aspie thing.

His dr. has explained to me that with the music, *all* parts of his brain are engaged. THis is what he needs to stay focused.

My son says bascially the same thing your son does. THe music distracts him from his racing thoughts so he can focus on what he needs to be doing.

I've been shocked (but dr. wasn't) that he can listen to music with WORDS while *reading*. It helps the same way it does with the math!

He has certain songs (rock) that he listens to when he reads certain books. I love it when he tells me why a certain song is a good one to listen to while reading a specific book.

I've had those same thoughts. My son explained it the same way, yet now that he is very interested in music he will sometimes focus on the music rather than the schoolwork, adjusting the EQ, selecting the perfect song etc. I also did not want him "plugged in" all the time. The things we have done: Limit the music subjects so that it isn't every subject, stick to instrumental only, use a CD player in the room sometimes rather than the earbuds/headphones, use white noise (fan, machine), and our latest experiment is having something in his hands-we are using bolts and nuts. This can also give some kids that 2nd thing for their brain to attach to. That may not work that well for math, where in theory he should be mostly writing, but it seems to help even in Physics where the reading and working problems is spread out.

On the other hand, if he was getting his work done in a timely manner I'd be more open to more music. That isn't always the case here.

Just a few random thoughts.

One of my dds is like this. She would always have the music on in the room when studying alone. I had to turn it off when I came in, or I couldn't think. Her sister also said it distracted her. So I got her headphones. Now she has an ipod and is constantly attached. I do know that some people work better with music, so I'm trying to take her word for it that it helps her concentrate, as she does still get her work done this way.

But yes, it has to come out if we're having a discussion or she's watching a video or there's some kind of schoolwork that requires auditory input - but she doesn't give me a hard time about that.

Edited by matroyshka

if he is doing well, what's the problem?

If the music is bothering others in the home, that's one thing. But if he is learning the material, I'd let him listen to whatever works for him.

The one thing I'd get him to think about, though, is that he won't be able to listen to anything while he takes his SAT/ACT tests, so he may need to "practice" thinking without the music once in a while.

This is reassuring to hear from someone who is in academia. For your own personal learning style, do you learn best through auditory input?

Having music on helps my brain keep focused - if I don't have music on, I'll get distracted by something else, it's like not enough of my brain is engaged with my work and so my brain keeps looking for more stimuli. If there's music to appease it, I have no problems. If there's NOT, then I suddenly look up and realize I am websurfing or writing an grocery list or something non work related! So, I would let him listen to music AS LONG AS you are seeing no deterioration in the quality or quantity of his work.

This is almost exactly how my son describes the experience. We are only into the second week of school, so I am still assessing the results. I did watch him read several pages of text for Honors Government online and then ace the assessment with the likes of ACDC blaring in his ear.:tongue_smilie:

No great advice from me, except that what I settled on for my son's desire to play music LOUDLY while studying, was that it had to be music with no words. Somehow that seems less intrusive, more of a background, which seemed to help him, in some subjects.

I have wondered about this, but that would mean shifting his musical tastes to classical or perhaps New Age?

I work better with music, ds works better without. When I write I have to listen to music without lyrics, otherwise my brain wanders, just like your ds mentioned.

However, if you're trying to listen to another person teaching or talking, music is not helpful. In those cases I doodle. When I worked and we had to attend boring weekly meetings, my notes were covered with doodles.

Ds used to never sit when listening, he had to move. He's gotten better with maturity, but he still fidgets.

I wouldn't discount music when studying, but at other times I would require full mental attention on the task at hand.

These are both points that I will have to think further on. His hands tend to be constantly moving. If he doesn't have music, then he drums his fingers on the desk.

When I homeschooled him in middle school, he would always deliver his narrations to me while pacing the room. Paula, I have long felt like we are missing something with this child, but testing early on did not show anything conclusive with regards to ADD or ADHD. Right now, I am in the observe and learn mode, trying to find out how he learns best.

This is reassuring to hear from someone who is in academia. For your own personal learning style, do you learn best through auditory input?

This is almost exactly how my son describes the experience. We are only into the second week of school, so I am still assessing the results. I did watch him read several pages of text for Honors Government online and then ace the assessment with the likes of ACDC blaring in his ear.:tongue_smilie:

I have wondered about this, but that would mean shifting his musical tastes to classical or perhaps New Age?

These are both points that I will have to think further on. His hands tend to be constantly moving. If he doesn't have music, then he drums his fingers on the desk.

When I homeschooled him in middle school, he would always deliver his narrations to me while pacing the room. Paula, I have long felt like we are missing something with this child, but testing early on did not show anything conclusive with regards to ADD or ADHD. Right now, I am in the observe and learn mode, trying to find out how he learns best.

Hunters in a Farmer's world: Driven to Distraction

Lisa, I don't identify with that Hunter article, but I'm like your ds, needing music to quiet the voices and focus. I'm not sure it's necessary to limit the style or the words no words thing. If you put something on and hear it enough, the words go on autopilot. It doesn't matter anyway. I *always* have at least one song going through my head, even when I'm in the middle of a conversation. (Like right now I have "40 and 20 Blackbirds Baked in a Pie" singing in my head, don't ask me why.) On a bad day I have *2* or even *3* songs. Then I get really confused, lol. Try to focus on a conversation when you get that many voices.

So no, I find something with a good beat, something you can memorize so it disappears, that's all that matters. I did an entire summer of intensive russian study in summer school memorizing like that, with the radio going right beside me (in english). Now figure that one out, eh? And all that stuff they say about you needing the music then to recall it isn't true either, at least not for me.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is if that music is in his ears so much. I don't use it that way, but aren't there issues with volume and possible hearing loss if you're not careful? I'd be careful with that and try to give him opportunities to listen and work *without*.

If you get tired of music, a movie that you just listen to will work. Or Fox news. But movies work really well. I'll put one on when I'm working on a sewing project. It won't even be in the same room, but it keeps my mind contained enough that I can focus and get my work done. I might listen to a Jane Austen movie through 3 times in an evening while working on a project. Again, the words don't matter. It just goes in the back of your mind, doesn't take up much RAM at all. We have a lot more brain function than we actually USE, you know. :)

And actually, I've always figured it's a gifted thing, not really ADD/ADHD. ADD/ADHD usually have working memory deficits. You put on music with them and it's distracting. My dd enjoys music just when she's doing light work, but she could never have it on while doing serious work.

I've been shocked (but dr. wasn't) that he can listen to music with WORDS while *reading*. It helps the same way it does with the math!

He has certain songs (rock) that he listens to when he reads certain books. I love it when he tells me why a certain song is a good one to listen to while reading a specific book.

I've found myself singing along with music while reading. It still surprises me when I notice it. I don't think I've done this much while studying, but I do find music helpful when studying - but not while watching something I need to listen to.

No, absolutely not. I am an extremely visual learner, have to handwrite material to retain it and learn best by making charts and tables, with colors, arrows and boxes. If I have to remember material I learned a long time ago, I am able to recall that a certain formula was on the left hand side in the lower quarter in my college lecture notes and "read" it off that memory.

Btw, I did not find myself at ALL in the ""Hunter" article - I am the complete opposite. So, for me, having music does not have anything to do with shutting out distractions. It just... works better I guess, and is more fun.

Edited by regentrude

No, absolutely not. I am an extremely visual learner, have to handwrite material to retain it and learn best by making charts and tables, with colors, arrows and boxes. If I have to remember material I learned a long time ago, I am able to recall that a certain formula was on the left hand side in the lower quarter in my college lecture notes and "read" it off that memory.

Btw, I did not find myself at ALL in the ""Hunter" article - I am the complete opposite. So, for me, having music does not have anything to do with shutting out distractions. It just... works better I guess, and is more fun.

Farmers (sequential, focused, parts to whole) need the music. Hunters ( random, overactive attention, whole to parts) can't hack it. Supposedly :)

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Farmers (sequential, focused, parts to whole) need the music. Hunters ( random, overactive attention, whole to parts) can't hack it. Supposedly :)

Well that's definitely not me, and I definitely use music. Guess the guy should have sampled a few more hunters before he drew his conclusions. :D

Don't know if dd is a farmer or a hunter - but the hunter they described in the article is definitely not at all applicable to her - but she agrees wholeheartedly with your post. :)

I was a High School Math teacher in a previous life and I allowed head phones in the classroom. The rule was: you accomplish what was assigned in the time period, or I get the music player for 24 hours. Some kids were fine with this rule and listened to music; others realized that they were likely to lose their music, and opted to keep the headphones in their bag.

My son has music on all day. Drives me nuts, especially when he tells me that the classical station was having a lecture on Maori music that he really enjoyed while doing his algebra! go figure.

Ruth in NZ

We encountered "music or no music" when my ds was in the 9th grade. It didn't seem to distract him and he was able to complete his work in time, so we agreed that he could listen to music with no lyrics. He is now in 11th grade and still listening (always classical or film scores because that's his gig. Right now, as I type, he's humming Dvorak's New World Symphony) and still completing his work. However....it bothers *me* immensely to see him doing his work with earplugs in and I fuss with him about it. I don't mind so much when he's in his room listening without plugs.

Now my 8th grade ds is asking to be allowed to listen to music when he's working. This dc is very easily distracted and I think it would be a disaster for him. I'm not sure if I should at least allow him to try. :confused:

As for me, it depends upon the type of work I'm doing. I sometimes work better with music playing in the background and there are other times when it distracts me and I end up turning it off.

I agree that if your ds's academic performance is not negatively affected by listening to music while working, then he should be allowed to continue listening.

:001_smile: