Menu

Poll: BEST Geometry-on-DVD type course?

BEST geometry-on-a-DVD type course?  

1. 1. BEST geometry-on-a-DVD type course?

• Chalkdust
    • Jacobs (with Callahan discs)
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • MathUSee
    • Thinkwell
    • Saxon
    • Other

I voted other....we use Videotext and LOVE it. But I just realized that I actually haven't used the geometry one yet. We are using the algebra and love that. I'm just prejudiced towards Videotext because of our experience w/algebra and think the geometry would be just as good. We've been using the online component but I think they have DVDs too.

Sorry, I kind of messed that one up. I should never be so quick to answer a poll when I have just gotten up-it's too early!:)

Could you tell me about the Callahan discs, please? I don't think I've heard of them and I was thinking of Jacobs for next year.

Also, do you happen to know if VideoText or TT cover proofs?

I know someone whose child used Thinkwell last year and really enjoyed it, but I don't know what it includes, either (although I feel certain it must include proofs)....

Could you tell me about the Callahan discs, please? I don't think I've heard of them and I was thinking of Jacobs for next year.

Also, do you happen to know if VideoText or TT cover proofs?

I know someone whose child used Thinkwell last year and really enjoyed it, but I don't know what it includes, either (although I feel certain it must include proofs)....

VideoText

I was speaking to Dr. Perrin (Classical Academic Press) at the last homeschool convention, asking about logic for after the usual homeschool programs. He said that the next step to apply the logic with a geometry program that is full of proofs. I had already decided to use VTI, so I headed straight for the booth, and I asked Tom Clark about that comment. He said that his reason for creating the Geometry program was because there aren't enough proofs in the other programs and he wanted to remedy that.

From the Geometry scope and sequence rationale:

"The second premise is that geometric concepts should be studied utilizing all of the power and conviction that both inductive and deductive reasoning can bring to the table. In other words, it is always desirable, and helpful, for students to “experimentâ€, inductively, with a geometric relationship, in an effort to come to some general conclusion. Once that general conclusion has been arrived at, however, it is even more convincing if the student is able to “proveâ€, deductively, that the conclusion absolutely must follow, logically, from the given information. No, formal proof is not often asked for in everyday life. On the other hand, the exercise of developing that kind of thinking is invaluable, not only in some specific job-related activities, but, more generally, in the daily problem-solving situations that confront us. The VideoText Interactive Geometry program is formatted in such a way that formal proof is a cornerstone."

ABeka and BJU both have courses. I'm not comfortable voting best; my oldest used A1/A2 Saxon to equal one credit in Geometry. My youngest ds, may go a different math route.

I need to choose a geometry course for my ds. I am terrible at Geometry. So he needs a course that has a dvd or online component to teach him. He is a good independent learner but not with just a book. The poll choices are the ones I know of. Did I miss any? Which one do you like best?
Edited by Tammyla

I can't vote since I haven't used all of those, so how could I say what was best? But my own experience:

Chalkdust - haven't used

Jacobs (with Callahan discs) - I like Jacobs & it definitely includes proofs, I found Callahan mildly helpful, and I found Derek Owens very helpful

Teaching Textbooks - favorite of ones we tried, & definitely includes proofs

MathUSee - used as a supplement in elementary only, didn't find it advanced but did find some explanations helpful at least in elementary

Thinkwell - haven't used

Saxon - their geometry is not written by Mr. Saxon, just so you know

Other - have had or tried many other things but the only other video geometry I remember trying was Math Relief -- only a partial geometry & I think he dropped selling it

Voted for Math U See because that is what we are using. Older son is no fan of math. We are using Math Relief for Algebra I & II but needed something for Geometry. Now my son is doing the 2 lessons a day and will finish the book in half the time. We will then use something else for Geometry review will doing Algebra II>

Teaching Textbooks Geometry worked very well for EK. Yes, they do a LOT of proofs. The first couple of weeks of lessons are concerned with logic and reasoning, and then they go into proofs. There are proofs in every lesson and also proofs on the tests. Constructions are also covered, although I would've liked there to have been a bit more of that.

ER used BJU Geometry, but not with a DVD. It was a nightmare--very, very frustrating for a mom to teach after not having done any geometry since 9th grade back in 1974-1975! I have a feeling that if we'd done BJU HomeSat (or whatever it's called), we would have liked Geometry a LOT more.

Edited by ereks mom

ER used BJU Geometry, but not with a DVD. It was a nightmare--very, very frustrating for a mom to teach after not having done any geometry since 9th grade back in 1974-1975! I have a feeling that if we'd done BJU HomeSat (or whatever it's called), we would have liked Geometry a LOT more.

I really like Geometry and I can't imagine trying to teach it to my dd! The DVD instructor, Mrs. Genco, did a great job teaching a difficult subject to my non-mathy student.

I took Geometry in 1972. :scared: My husband and I both had the same teacher and we talk about her to this day!

I REALLY like the samples of KineticBooks' new Geometry program for homeschoolers, but it isn't available yet. They have been working on it for quite awhile.

http://homeschool.kineticbooks.com/

I use their Physics program at our co-op, and I have tutored students using their old, non-homeschool Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 programs.