Menu

Raincoats for teens....

I know, I know...they're seriously uncool.

But there are some days that Molly might have to walk home in the rain because I'll be at work. I hate to have my 77 year old, arthritic mom go out to get her, the rain makes her arthritis worse and I don't like to have her driving when she's in such pain.

Any ideas about where I can buy a raincoat or at least something that's kind of water repellent?

thanks!

astrid

I saw your title and thought you meant condoms.

AAAAH! LOLOLOL!!! I"m sorry!!!! :lol::lol:

YIKES! How do I edit the title? Don't want folks thinking Molly needs THAT kind of raincoat!

UGH. Long day at work; didn't sound bad in my head! :D

astrid

I know, I know...they're seriously uncool.

But there are some days that Molly might have to walk home in the rain because I'll be at work. I hate to have my 77 year old, arthritic mom go out to get her, the rain makes her arthritis worse and I don't like to have her driving when she's in such pain.

Any ideas about where I can buy a raincoat or at least something that's kind of water repellent?

thanks!

astrid

I live in rain country.

sierra trading post will often have good quality rain coats at very discounted prices. llbean. rei. cabela's.

I prefer the breatheable type. costco has waterproof pant/jacket sets this time of year. they're breathable, and NOT vinyl. (yech, hate vinyl.)

my kids all have LL Bean basic raincoats. All raincoats were chosen by oldest and passed down. The older 2 are teens and now in public school and they walk a mile to/from school. They where the raincoats and have never said anything about being uncool. I believe oldest has stopped growing so I think the next coat I buy will be dd's first and last raincoat she gets to pick herself.

Maybe I've just raised kids who are practical about this. They just stuff the coats in their lockers during the school day.

Just bought one from Amazon made by Sierra Designs. I think they discount their colors from last season, so you may be able to find one at a reasonable price. It really is a lovely coat. My dd did a test drive in some recent rainy weather and said, "It really does keep the rain out Mom!" It has a nice lining inside that doesn't seem to have that uncomfortable raincoat feeling.

HTH!

Raincoats are uncool?! Dd is getting a new one for her birthday next month. It's tailored and not dorky.

My kids usually wear Columbia shells, cause we could get them cheap at the Columbia outlet and they work. I just replaced my old Columbia one with a Helly Hanson packable shell. I really prefer the jackets with the mesh lining so they don't stick to your skin. Get something hip length at least.

We just moved to a part of Alaska that is 10x rainier than what we were used to in Portland. I really should have bought the kids rain pants, but I do think that those would be a little uncool. :)