Menu

If your child got a scholarship for college, I'd like to know

What did you do during their high school years to help them with this? So many things are flying around my head. Things like PSAT, National Merit, SAT, and SAT II Subect exams, AP etc. I have heard many say these things helped their child to get a scholarship. My question is how did you know what courses to plan for them? My daughter is in 10th grade and if someone could map me out a plan of what classes she should take the next 3 years and what exams she should take I think I'd pay money for it! I just need a roadmap. I know my daughter has the ability and the determination. Unfortunately her mom (me!) doesnt have the roadmap to know how to get her there.

First, since she's a sophomore, start calling your local public high school NOW (ok, tomorrow) to see if/when they are doing sign ups for the PSAT and if she can take it there. The school where I work started sign ups today. It costs $15 here, but different schools have different costs from free to $20 (I think). It will give you a good baseline this year to know what to concentrate on for next year. The test is in October, but you won't get the results until December (the hardest part is the waiting!). Be certain she puts down the homeschool code when she takes the test so the results will be sent to you, not the school where she takes it.

If you want, you can also start with some "easier" AP courses this year. Those tests are in May and in January you can call college board to see what schools offer them.

SAT II subject tests can be taken most dates the SAT is given. However, many choose to take these tests AFTER having taken AP in order to get top of the top scores. "Many" doesn't mean "everyone." If she has completed a course and does well on practice tests, feel free to take the SAT II. You can take up to 3 in a testing session if I remember correctly. You want a REALLY high score on these tests if you want to submit them to top schools for consideration, but what that "really high" score is varies based on the test. Figures, right? :tongue_smilie:

Otherwise, you don't have to worry about testing this year. The major tests that count come next year. ;)

The tests that will provide the best scholarships are the SAT and ACT. Ideally you want a score higher than 1450 SAT (CR and M only as most don't care about Writing) and/or 33 on the ACT. However, there are also schools that will offer merit aid for lower scores. My oldest got a 31 on the ACT and got decent merit aid from his college and multiple offers from others. Those offers didn't come close to paying the whole thing though. Higher scores and/or different choices in colleges can provide more, but you've got time to consider that later.

As to courses, what has she already taken?

Make certain she's got some decent extra curricular activities she likes. While it's true that certain colleges (like U of Alabama) give great merit aid on SAT/ACT/GPA alone, many others are competitive and they are looking for a combo of nice scores, great grades, and an "interesting" person actively involved in something (not necessarily many things, but something).

Creekland is a great source...follow her advice!

I have graduated one and got 6 scholarships his freshman year (he applied for 14.) National Merit Scholarship was one (so the PSAT is the only way to get this), one was through father's navy service, 4 were local scholarships. I think mostly they looked at GPA/SAT and community service. My ds only took 3 AP's and bombed one! He also took two community college classes. I think cc is the way to go for kids who do not test well on those large tests where you have to internalize so much material in a short time.

As far as mapping courses, I went to some college websites to see what they required for admissions: 4 English, 4 math, 2 social sciences, etc. I compared that to what the college track at our local ps required. Then I mirrored that, somewhat. We are still a homeschool and I wanted my ds to be able to study what he wanted, but to be competitive there are courses you just have to take. So, check out colleges in your state and see what they require. Some may require US History (as one we applied too did!), and my ds took it in middle school. So. we just signed up for a quick US History course at the cc to get it on the transcript...then, of course, he didn't go to that school!

I am following a little bit different path for ds#2 as he is really wanting to go the engineering route. Ds#1 was liberal arts/english all the way. We are focusing on upper level math classes and cc courses. Just be careful that you don't take too many cc credits, or it may disqualify your student for freshman scholarships in some cases.

Those are some of the things that popped into my head. don''t be overwhlemed. Just jot down a loose plan and take one step at a time.

HTH!

Many states have scholarships for schools within the state.

Here in SC, for example, all students who meet two of these three criteria will be awarded $5000 if attending an in-state school:

3.0 GPA, 1100SAT/24ACT score (one of them), top 30% graduating class.

There are other requirements which can earn you $10,000, and if choosing a STEM major, another $5000. All awards are per school year, and are renewable based on some minimum requirments. If attending a 2-yr school initially, you only need the 3.0 GPA.

There is one "trick" -- if you want to major in something that is not available at *any* school in the state, the money will be paid to an out of state school. I've only heard of one person who was able to do that, though.

Many private schools, too, have a set of standards by which a student qualifies for academic scholarships. One school at which my son was accepted, required a 1020 SAT and 3.0 GPA for $5000; bumping the SAT to 1130 brings the scholarship up to $8000, etc.

Then, too, there are numerous need-based scholarships. Once you're admitted to a given school, and your cost of attendance is calculated, there are resources available which may help to make it possible for the student to attend.

If a student is academically capable, I'd always advise him/her to apply to at least one "dream" school -- you never know what may happen.

My dd traveled internationally several times, staying several months on one trip, became conversant in a couple of languages, raised a ton of money. Colleges respond well to money raising and taking initiative like this on a grand scale (though it stressed me out, but that's a whole different story). Her test scores were skewed (super high on one end and low on another), but she had done a lot of teaching/public speaking.

My daughter got a good scholarship at both schools she applied to. She had the following list of attractive things, but I can't tell you which were the deciding factors. Probably it's a combination of things that the colleges are looking for.

high ACT score

good GPA in classes outside the home

dual enrollment college classes

great letters of recommendation from college professors and people involved with her in extracurriculars

2 AP tests with decent scores

a history of being very involved in the extracurricular activities she chose to do (she didn't do everything under the sun, but focused on those things that interested her)

a decently written personal essay on the college application

But, that being said, I know plenty of students who have gotten scholarships just as good as the one my daughter got who didn't have these attributes. They had other things the schools were interested in.

SAT II tests are not necessary for most colleges (but you should check). A dual enrollment college class or a good AP score or two will fulfill this "slot" unless the college specifically requires the SAT II. For most schools, the dual enrollment or AP is probably a better bet. They're at a higher level than SAT II and therefore have more clout.

The PSAT is only necessary for qualifying for the NMSQT scholarship program. However, it might only be worth taking it for scholarship purposes if you know your student has a reasonable chance of scoring in the 98th-99th percentile (in most states, it has to be the 99th percentile, but there are some exceptions). But even if one gets the scholarship (and just scoring high isn't all you need), it isn't really all that much money in the big picture -- and there are many colleges that will discount that money from the merit aid they do offer (or even from the need based aid). Also, the qualifying score has to be achieved in 11th grade. So the NMSQT program isn't as great as it might seem at first. Don't kick yourself if you missed the deadline or your child misses the score cutoff.

The major reason for taking the PSAT is as a practice run before doing the tests that actually count (ACT and SAT). It may also be useful if you need to get your student into a program that requires a test score and they haven't taken the ACT or SAT yet.

There are a number of private colleges that also hand out automatic scholarships for a certain score or GPA. This is upfront and written out in their literature, but I suspect most colleges are doing something similar, even if they don't SAY it. They do have to compete for the top students.

SAT II tests are not necessary for most colleges (but you should check). A dual enrollment college class or a good AP score or two will fulfill this "slot" unless the college specifically requires the SAT II. For most schools, the dual enrollment or AP is probably a better bet. They're at a higher level than SAT II and therefore have more clout.

The major reason for taking the PSAT is as a practice run before doing the tests that actually count (ACT and SAT). It may also be useful if you need to get your student into a program that requires a test score and they haven't taken the ACT or SAT yet.

There are a number of private colleges that also hand out automatic scholarships for a certain score or GPA. This is upfront and written out in their literature, but I suspect most colleges are doing something similar, even if they don't SAY it. They do have to compete for the top students.

:iagree: I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, of course, but especially the three I kept above that went beyond what I typed before. Middle son is going into the application process without any SAT II tests and only had to cut one college (Emory) from his original list that insisted, as a homeschooler, he had to have some in spite of having a 5 on an AP and two As in college level community college courses (one of which was sophomore college level). Every other college has told us not to bother since he has better "mommy grade" backups for his GPA. He could take the SAT II tests to satisfy Emory, but he was rather annoyed that they were so different than what his other colleges told him that he opted to totally drop them and didn't even want to stop by for a visit "just in case" when we were right next to it in Atlanta on our last college visit trip.

IMO it's their loss. ;)

I really think it depends on the college. My daughter got a near-perfect score on the PSAT & SAT as well as perfect scores on three SAT II subject tests. She graduated a year early, had 42 college hours (dual-credit), all while working 30-35 hours a week and maintaining a 4.0. She is a Semi-Finalist for the National Merit Scholarship even though she's a Freshman in college, because she graduated in three years. If she had applied at a small liberal arts school she might have been awarded a full ride. As it was, she applied at three schools, only one of which she wanted to attend; she was awarded 28k at one school, 42k at another, and 0k (haha) at UT Austin, which really was the only choice for her.

It might also depend on the major. My daughter is a Dean's Scholar (Honors) in the College of Natural Sciences, majoring in Mathematics. Only 35 Freshman are accepted into the group of 200 (in a university of 50k+). She is the only (afaik) female Math major as a Freshman, the first homeschooler accepted into the program since it began 20+ years ago, with amazing credentials...and no scholarship.

I really think it depends on the college. My daughter got a near-perfect score on the PSAT & SAT as well as perfect scores on three SAT II subject tests. She graduated a year early, had 42 college hours (dual-credit), all while working 30-35 hours a week and maintaining a 4.0. She is a Semi-Finalist for the National Merit Scholarship even though she's a Freshman in college, because she graduated in three years. If she had applied at a small liberal arts school she might have been awarded a full ride. As it was, she applied at three schools, only one of which she wanted to attend; she was awarded 28k at one school, 42k at another, and 0k (haha) at UT Austin, which really was the only choice for her.

It might also depend on the major. My daughter is a Dean's Scholar (Honors) in the College of Natural Sciences, majoring in Mathematics. Only 35 Freshman are accepted into the group of 200 (in a university of 50k+). She is the only (afaik) female Math major as a Freshman, the first homeschooler accepted into the program since it began 20+ years ago, with amazing credentials...and no scholarship.

Good point that it depends on the college. There are definitely places where your daughter could have attended for free (free ride) or with free tuition. However, as you've pointed out, there are also places that simply don't give out merit aid. If a student is insistent on going to one of those (for whatever reason), expect no merit aid even with super stats. Some of these give out decent need-based aid to those who have low enough income/assets and some don't.

Fortunately, middle son is 100% content knowing he's going to a college that gives him decent aid.

Youngest has his eye on a college that gives merit aid too, but he knows he's only going there if he gets some. It's encouraged him to work harder on academics. ;)

I really think it depends on the college.

As well as who their other applicants are and who else is already at the college and what the college's goals are in recruiting. And this will all be specific to a year, so you can't always tell based on what happened the year before.

This is why so many kids apply to 10-15 colleges. They want to see what financial deals they can get. Some colleges may just be more interested in their particular attributes.

Although, a lot of kids apply to so many schools just because that's what their friends are doing.

We saw that there were "free rides" out there, but that most schools asked applicants to jump through a bunch more hoops to get them. And the free rides were pretty competitive, so even jumping through the extra hoops was no guarantee.

However, I think you can tell a lot about a college based on who is asked back for these extra interviews/sessions. I think my daughter completely made up her mind about which college to go to after the scholarship weekends -- before any of the scholarships were announced. She discovered exactly what sort of students each college thought was smart or had leadership potential. She went with the college that invited in a group of kids that she felt most comfortable with.

Oddly, it was a huge demographic difference between the two colleges. One college seemed to be focusing entirely on testing ability. None of the kids could string two words together in an interesting sentence that didn't involve test scores. It is true that that college has a much higher average ACT/SAT score, but the kids just seemed rather dull. My daughter went to the school with the lower ACT score, but the students are a lot more engaged and engaging. (Just a side comment about the advisability of choosing schools based solely on their stats...)

After choosing the school she did, all the adults in my daughter's life admitted that they had been holding their breath -- and they all let out a big sigh of relief when she chose the lower ACT/more engaged school. Apparently, the more prestigious school has quite a reputation around here, and it's not a good one. We just didn't know that.

Test scores were crucial here. So, before long I'd have your daughter take a practice ACT and SAT at home and see how she's scoring. Make sure she's got the necessary academic foundation, particularly in math.

In addition to all the other great advice you've received I wanted to add three suggestions.

1. Try a couple of net price calculators if you have not already done so. Look on the sites of colleges she's considering and start to get a realistic idea of what your family will be expected to pay. The LARGEST pocket of aid for college if based on financial not on merit.

2. Look for leadership and service opportunities. This is one area where homeschoolers sometimes fall short because the paths to "leadership" may not be as obvious as they are in public school. Leadership is a criteria for a lot of private scholarships so I would encourage your daughter not to be just active but to take on leadership roles - lead projects, start a business or nonprofit, etc.

3. Be very strategic about where she applies. When you get closer to college take a really honest assessment of her statistics and carefully consider her college list. If she has high financial need look to schools that meet 100% of financial need or as close as you can find to it. Often these may be schools that are hard to get into.

If she has really high test scores, look for schools that reward that. Often the biggest merit scholarships go to students who are willing to go to schools where they are absolutely at the top of the heap of incoming applicants. In other words, not just schools where they get in but schools that are happy to accept them.

The LARGEST pocket of aid for college if based on financial not on merit.

But unless you're low income or have lots of kids in college, a lot of the need based aid tends to come as loans, except at a few schools.

I don't see loans as financial aid. That's just deferral. You'd still have to make the decision as to whether you wanted to spend 40,000 a year at a lot of these schools -- plus interest if you do it through loans.

But unless you're low income or have lots of kids in college, a lot of the need based aid tends to come as loans, except at a few schools.

That's where the individual strategy part comes in. It really depends on the individual family's financial situation and the types of schools the student is competitive for and would like to attend. Some highly selective colleges define "low income" radically different than most of us do and some of those schools have a commitment to low or no student loans. There are middle class students that will find a private college less expensive than a state public. Again, it is very individual and that's why I suggest they start with looking at net price calculators to explore financial options. I'm a fan of exploring all options.

If she has really high test scores, look for schools that reward that. Often the biggest merit scholarships go to students who are willing to go to schools where they are absolutely at the top of the heap of incoming applicants. In other words, not just schools where they get in but schools that are happy to accept them.

Just one caution here. Don't "overdo" this or your student is likely to be bored. A prof can only teach to the level of their students. I've seen a couple of high stat kids go to very low stat school and tell me college was the most boring part of their lives. Future employers also tend to know what schools are "good" and which aren't.

I guess an example would be if your student got a 30 on the ACT. I'd let mine attend a school where the mid 50% of ACT scores were 23 - 27 and be thankful they got nice merit aid, but I wouldn't let them go to a school where the mid 50% of scores were 18 - 23 as they'd likely be bored stiff and not get as good of an education (assuming an academic type of education - not art or other non-SAT/ACT type of major).

Lower stat schools with an Honors College can be worthwhile, but since "Honors College" doesn't have a common "type" check them out carefully.

Also consider the reputation of the school overall and where recent graduates have gotten jobs. My youngest will likely be a higher stat kid attending a lower stat school, BUT the for the field he currently wants, his school of choice is #1 in the nation according to many in the field. We'll be hoping for nice merit aid (but knowing he'll be competing against others who know that major is tops there too).

There's so much checking to do when it comes to colleges, but to get nice merit aid and have a better shot at good need-based aid too, it all [generally] starts with high stats on the ACT/SAT, then being an interesting person with extra curriculars. You're looking for an academic scholarship in a similar fashion as a sports scholarship. The lower rated and mid rated students on the team aren't likely to get sports scholarships, but the top players might at the right schools. The same goes for academics. And if you are a top academic player, you want the best (affordable) school for you, not a "team" that is low in the standings if you hope to continue on after you graduate in your field.

As other posters have noted, so much depends on the college and the student (geography, test scores, interests and talents).

Those who cast broad nets have seen that college financial aid is a black box. You can look at the College Navigator on the federal reporting site IPEDS to determine the percentage of students who receive aid at specific colleges. Here you can investigate what percentage of students receive aid and how much. (Then you too can wonder how significant populations at some $50K+ schools pay the full fare annually!) Some colleges give several free rides based on merit--others give lesser merit aid to a larger group, but the rare free ride except for low income applicants. The Expected Family Contribution shocks most parents.

I'd like to add that parents and students should carefully read college web sites. Some schools automatically place students in a merit aid pool. Some require early applications to be considered. My son received one offer at his college; he wrote an essay after being accepted and was given more money. This second scholarship was something students had to seek on their own. They were not invited to apply which happens at some schools.

General applications, financial aid deadlines, scholarship essays, etc. require some project management!

Just one caution here. Don't "overdo" this or your student is likely to be bored. A prof can only teach to the level of their students. I've seen a couple of high stat kids go to very low stat school and tell me college was the most boring part of their lives. Future employers also tend to know what schools are "good" and which aren't.

I agree. You want your kid to be at a college where they will have good peers and good opportunities. I would suggest though that for most students there are a long list of colleges that fit that bill and it may go beyond the list of schools that the student thinks are big names. Motivated top students may get some really stunning opportunities and support at colleges that aren't as much big name schools. That can translate into good opportunities for graduate school as well.

ER missed the NMF cutoff by only 3 points when he took the PSAT as a high school junior in 2006. But he scored 30 on the ACT that same school year, and that qualified him for the top merit scholarship at each of his top choice schools. One of them also offered him a full-tuition scholarship. That was his second-choice school, and he turned down that offer to attend his first-choice school, where, as it turned out, he got a full ride. (This included a lot of merit aid, including the aforementioned merit scholarship based on ACT score, and also aid that was awarded due to the fact that we are a low income family.)

In addition to the merit scholarships based on his ACT score, he also got a large scholarship based on leadership and service in our community and in our state. Your best bet is to prepare your student to score well on the ACT or SAT and to be sure that she builds an impressive leadership and service portfolio. To help her score well on the tests, be sure she is taking rigorous courses, especially in math and literature & composition. Begin now doing a little test prep each day: SAT Question of the Day is a good idea, as well as plenty of writing practice. Help her find opportunities to volunteer in your community--churches, libraries, food banks, hospitals, etc.

ETA: ER attended his first-choice school for two years before transferring to his second-choice school (yes, the one that had originally offered him the full-tuition scholarship, which he turned down, and no, they did not re-offer that scholarship when he decided to attend school there after all. :() He had no choice to but leave his first school because after two years, the school (where he was a music major) decided to close their music department.

ER has maintained good grades in college and has been awarded additional scholarships as a result. He's also gotten some pretty good perqs; for example, at his current school, because of his grades, this past spring, he was allowed to be among the first people to choose which residence hall he wanted to live in, and he got a much-coveted spot in the on-campus apartment-style dorm (4 guys share an apartment that has 2 bedrooms, a private bathroom, a full kitchen, and a living room).

Edited by ereks mom

My oldest has a hefty amount of scholarships. He did it by making dean's list once he was at the college. We knew nothing about it until the new bill came and was less than half what the old bill had been! The college arranged it all. Even the first year, the college managed to arrange a small scholarship that was geography and major dependent.

-Nan

For dd, it was combo of several things:

Two AP's

Good ACT score

G.P.A. - 3.89

Competitive transcript - Algebra - Pre-Calc and one semester of Calc 1

5 sciences, four history (nearly underheard of here - ALL the PS and private kids around our area graduate with only three, no electives offered), fours of English Literature and we included a book list, Latin and modern foreign language, Logic, competitive electives - it only takes 20 credits to graduate in Michigan, she graduated from homeschool with 27.

Unique extra-curriculurs - Two mission trips including an extended stay on a Native American Reservation in Arizona as a volunteer school librarian and tutor for 4-6th grade students in summer school (three months total), the other trip was to Latin America and included a construction project. Near space weather balloon flight/science project. The Right Stuff Award from NASA Space Camp. Leadership/volunteer recommendations from church and 4-H. Dressage riding lessons - hobby, not serious pursuit though she took lessons for 10th - 12th grade (this caught the eye of the admin's instead of the usual girl's basketball, softball, or volleyball), accomplished pianist. Though she wasn't majoring in music, she was accomplished enough that any music department could hire her to accompany instrumental and vocal majors if need be.

I am absolutely certain that the 30 on the ACT was what got the attention first. Then the transcript and extra-curriculars got a lot "hoo-ha" once they had identified her, again by ACT & GPA, as a student they wanted to meet, then the transcript and extra-curriculars because we spent a lot of time presenting them properly, explaining, etc. Beyond that, she wrote GREAT admission's essays. We also set up an interview at each college she was really serious about. She is very mature and interviews quite well.

Work on those interview skills. Teach your child how to build up their strengths with a reasonable amount of "humble pie", be honest about their weaknesses without over-emphasizing them, and to converse really comfortably about the things they have a passion for. We are working on this for ds right now. He is really interested in anthropology and his knowledge is well above average for a 14 year old. But, when he talks about the subject, he tends to speak - young, I guess that is the word for it...almost too simplified. He needs feel free to use the appropriate vocabulary properly, be a bit verbose, and yet, not in a way that is "in your face" to the interviewer. He is not a natural, so he is literally practicing in front of the mirror and dh and I are doing mock interviews with him. DD is also trying to find time to help out. His younger brothers are completely natural, although the youngest is a bit shy at first, but if you get him on a subject he cares passionately about, he is off and zooming, very impressive. The next youngest (13) is the king of the interview! But, the 14 almost 15 year old ds, he is not only not a natural, but can get off on an irrelevant tangent and look out. So, lots of practice.

DD received a 75% scholarship at her school of choice. However, the school was so expensive, room and board quite outrageous, that the balance left was well more than what we could give her each year and more than she was willing to loan...she is very careful with finances. She ended up at her third choice school which had an excellent program, but close enough to commute from home and save the r & b. Our total contribution for her four years will come to only $5500.00 and she will not have any loans. She is working now as a paramedic in order to save money for grad school at her first choice school.

DD's dear friend, our honorary daughter, received a 100% scholarhip to her last choice school and took it. She had 50% scholarships to her first and second choice schools (only applied to three total). She is not happy where she is at, but is grateful to not have student loans. She had a 30 on the ACT - 3.87 GPA, lots of sports, two AP exams - received 4's, standard public school transcript - less credits than dd, but lots of recommendations from teachers and coaches.

Faith

Dd followed our local school district's recommendations...not because we must, but because it made it easier on all of us. She is an athlete and we also had to deal with the NCAA.

She did the basic 4 credits of English, Science, Math, and Social Studies (Geography, World History, U.S. History, Gov/Econ). She had Art, Music, Speech, Spanish 1 & 2, Keyboarding, P.E., all the typical PS types of courses students would have.

We made her transcript look as generic as possible and used materials that we knew would not be questioned by the school or the NCAA.

She did not have any AP credits or community college classes. We did everything at home. She did a few classes through Keystone.

She got a 60% athletic scholarship (ended up being about $9000 for this year...she will be getting 100% for her next 3 years if all goes well).

BUT...she also got the following: Board of Regents President's Award = $5000/year, Math/Science scholarship = $4000/year, Distinguished Freshman Scholarship = $2500 (for this year only), and a scholarship of $2000 for being in the top 10% score-wise of all incoming freshmen.

She ended up exceeding the cap on scholarships at her school so the athletic department ended up taking some of their money back :glare:...

She has MORE than she needs and all she had was our homeschool transcript, a rather official looking diploma that I made, and her SAT score...1880...not over the top incredible, but apparently high enough to get the attention of those in control of the money! She did apply for the Math/Science Scholarship and had to write an essay, but the others were awarded to her based on her SAT score.

The school is a state school, but a good one. She had several offers from schools around the country to play soccer, but wanted to stay close to home. I don't know if she would have gotten as much had she gone elsewhere, but it's possible.

The big thing the admissions people stressed was having the credits required by the state for PS students...in other words---make it look as generic as possible.

BTW...the NCAA did not question one. single. thing. They approved her to play D1 soccer in about a week and a half...they were the ones we were worried about...not the school...in the end, they both worked out without any problems at all.

All our panicking for nothing!

The school my dd is attending is know for being very generous with merit aid. They give a general idea of the SAT scores it takes to qualify for their scholarships. I didn't weight my dd's scores, so her GPA was around 3.7 rather than over 4.0 like they list as the average GPA for the level of scholarship that she got. She had 45 credit hours from dual credit classes at the cc and all but one class transferred (that one didn't have an equivalent course). She didn't have any SAT-II or AP tests, but she did do better than 1350 on her math and reading combined on the SAT (they don't consider the writing portion).

I think the best investment we made was for the SAT course we had her take. That boosted her SAT score by over 200 points.

http://oue.utdallas.edu/aes/

My daughter began playing rec soccer when she was 5. At 10 she moved to club soccer and has played competitively since then. She loves to play and would rather do that than anything else. She was recruited through her club team. Typically, that's how it's done around here. The college coaches can go to a tournament and see hundreds of kids at one venue.

She sent out hundreds of emails to coaches at schools with good soccer programs (as well as academics) before the tournaments so the they would come see her play. She followed up with them after every tournament. She also had a profile page that highlighted her accomplishments...like a resume.

Kids are not allowed to play at the PS around here. She did play on homeschool team in addition to her club team.

hth

To be honest, we kind of winged it, but it turned out in our favor. We have had only one child so far attend a traditional US college -- it is a private university, about $32,000/year. She has gotten a full ride. Of course it totally depends on the college; it may not have worked out so well for her at other colleges!

She never took the PSAT, she scored very well on the SAT, but not exceptional, she only took one AP course. She did a lot of varied and interesting things, such as organizing an all-girls summer camp in our home every summer, participated in choirs and the local diving team when high school age, did community projects such as fund-raising for the local theater program. She finished high school in three years instead of four. She was also a very good writer, so I imagine her application essay was probably pretty good, although I never read it. We encouraged all of our children to take a year off between high school and college and do something interesting, and perhaps this was the biggest advantage of all. The daughter I referred to above spent her year off in France (studying and volunteering and traveling), and became fluent in French.

When she was accepted at the university here, she was awarded the Presidential scholarship, which paid half of her tuition. The other half was awarded after she started school, and was mostly as a result of her French proficiency.