Menu

stale cornbread

If you google

stale cornbread

Chowhound has some ideas. I would dice it, soak it in milk, and then drop into quiche filling and bake. If you don't want to make a crust, put in small baking dishes and place in a pan of hot water up to the line of the filling, and bake this in the oven. My mother did it with the bottom of her roasting pan any time she didn't want the hassle or empty calories of a crust.

A few minces bits of fresh hot pepper, or even bell pepper and some minced onion and paprika would round out the quiche for me.

I don't know what ingredients you have in your house, but when I have stale cornbread I make mexican casserole out of it.

I crumble it and add chopped leftover meat - ground beef or the dregs of a leftover pot roast shredded, pork, or chicken, and I've even scrambled some eggs when I was out of other protein. Mix that together, pour salsa over the top and sprinkle cheese on top of that. Cover and let bake until heated through. The kids love it - the adults tolerate it.

Also, when I'm broke and have cornmeal around, I boil it (you can look up the exact ratio of water to cornmeal online according to the serving size you want to give), and then put it in a cake pan, covered, to chill overnight in the fridge. The next day I cut it into slices and fry it on low in coconut oil. The boys butter it and drizzle syrup over top. They'll eat an entire cake pan and clamor for more. I think it's Depression era name is Fried Cornmeal Mush.

Faith

I have half a lb of hamburger, some cooked blackbeans, and a can of tomatoes.... but I don't have any cumin or salsa

I would fry the hamburger meat, and then add the can of tomatoes and black beans to that - season with salt and pepper to taste. Then do what Amana suggested with the cornbread. I'll bet it's quite good. :)

I have Franks buffalo wing sauce, some homemade pepper sauce, and a can of tomatoes, okra, and corn- all together.

Sounds like you have the makings for a Hamburger Gumbo of sorts. :) I'd make it up like a stew and pour it right on top of a piece of cornbread. Bread at the bottom of a nice soup is an legitimate and time-worn use of stale bread.

Ah, the mother of invention. :)

Edited by LibraryLover