Menu

What do you get for a wedding present and what to spend?

Jody

Well, you won't like my response. I go off the registration. Can you look at the registration on-line and then order something? How much do we spend? Well, if it's a close relative or close friend we spend like $50 or so. If it's distant then maybe $35. We don't go to many weddings, so gifts aren't killing us now.

Well, you won't like my response. I go off the registration. Can you look at the registration on-line and then order something? How much do we spend? Well, if it's a close relative or close friend we spend like $50 or so. If it's distant then maybe $35. We don't go to many weddings, so gifts aren't killing us now.

:iagree: And if you just don't know, give a cash gift. That's what we did for the most-recent wedding we attended. It was a second wedding, later in life and I just had no idea what the couple may need or desire.

Most newlyweds can use the same kinds of things, really, not counting specific china and whatnot. I usually go to Target or Walmart (because that's what my budget is nowadays!) and buy something nice for the home--a pretty glass salad bowl or other serving pieces, for example. Some stores will print a gift receipt, one that can be tucked into the box with the gift that has the store name but not the amount spent, so that the recipients can return/exchange the gift if they want to.

I rarely give cash or gift cards.

It's been years since we went to one and just wondering what you buy. The Bride is registered, but I don't want to really do that. One reason, is the place is almost an hour from here.

Any ideas?

Can you opt for sentimental? I got my brother a wood vase from a craftsmen in the village we grew up in. I think you can always skip the registry for a gift with meaning.

I have had 3 weddings for very young people just starting out this summer. I did the same thing for all 3. I bought a laundry basket. I prefer natural baskets, not plastic. Then I fill them with household goods and cleaners. I have been couponing a lot this year and gather stuff when it is super cheap or free. It is all stuff that everyone uses and needs to start a household and saves them $ of course. I have had 2 of the 3 tell me that they were super excited and thought it was a great gift. I haven't heard from the 3rd couple yet.

I decorate the basket pretty with a giant bow and tissue paper of course.

Before I started doing this I used to always give the laundry basket and fill it with towels from the registry. In fact, with one of these weddings, I still bought some of the towels and put them in. That was for a close cousin of mine.

I personally would give something from the registry. Good chance the bride knows what she could use. As for cost, it's been forever since I went to a wedding, but it would depend on our finances at the time, and our relationship to the couple. Close friends/family would merit more. For a young couple, I'd give cash if I didn't give something from the registry (maybe add a personal touch, like giving baking pans from the registry plus some pretty oven mitts or some related gadget that I personally used and liked).

We just went to my cousins wedding. I bought something off her registry (Fiestaware), something that's a personal favorite (Sur La Table dish towels), and a few quirky little things (http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Donts-For-Husbands/3335.010/9780713687910.html http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/Don’ts-For-Wives/3325.010/9780713687903.html http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/item/PS-Bowls-Recipe-Cards/3305_001/4661007382.html)

I think it's fun to mix it up with something they want/need and something just for fun.