Menu

d & b printing mistakes...still!

My dd is 7 and we have been struggling with this for years too. Actually she has made great improvement - when she first started writing she wrote EVERYthing backwards AND mirrored... but I digress...

Anyway, I think it's still normal and I think if she's self-correcting then she is on the right path.

You didn't ask for advice and you've probably heard and tried all my tricks -- but just in case any of these are new to you, we've had very good progress in the last couple of months doing the following:

-starting the day, very first thing, with writing the alphabet two times, thinking carefully about the way the letters are facing

-even before that, drawing a left to right arrow at the top of the page and remembering out loud that our letters go (basically) from left to right.

(we use HWT's Magic C idea, and then our own "stick and launch" idea for letters like b and p - you make a stick and then launch off to the right to make the rest of the letter)

-using our two fists with thumbs upraised to make a bed to help us see b and d

-using our mouths to say "buh" and "duh", "puh" and "qu" to see that b and p start with (our mouths in) a line and d and q start with (our mouths in) a circle

If she's self-correcting, it sounds like she's on her way out of the habit. It's very common.

When I taught first grade, I taught the kids that b is "baby bear, then his belly" and I'd make a big deal of drawing his fat belly.

For d, we say "doorknob, then the door."

It helps my dd and I still catch her saying, "doorknob..." under her breath.

We have it here and he is 9. But he doesn't have problems with much else with reading so I'm hoping he'll outgrow it or he'll become proficient enough in cursive this year. One day my DD, then 10, told me she still reverses them and has to erase and rewrite. I never noticed because she catches it on her own.

Something that helps is Mr. Beady eyes.

My 8yr old daughter still has trouble too.. I taught her to hold her hands up and look at the way her index fingers and thumbs go in the directions an imaginary b and d would and to think of the word "bed" as she does this. She always gets it correct now, but she ALWAYS has to reference her hands. I must mention that my daughter does have some learning disabilities, Asperger's, ADHD, possible dyslexia, convergence insufficiency, etc.

Here is a visual of the bed idea (without the hands)..

http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/b-or-d-new-posters-for-bd-reversal/

One thing I did was take an index card and write a capital B, then with a different color, inside/over the capital B, I wrote a lower case. So the little b, fits IN the big B. With the D, I showed, in two colors, how they stand back to back. It seems to have helped my 6 year old.