Menu

Phonics Road - Anyone?

WIS0320

I saw so many posts about PR about 6 months ago and now... crickets. I know curriculum is cyclical on these forums and lots of people move on to other things however I am wondering:

1) Who here is using PR this year?

2) Who is *planning* on sticking with PR through all 4 levels?

Just curious!

I'm using PR1 this next year and half with my dd. She loves it. She's on the younger side so we're stretching it out some since I want her to be at least in 2nd before we go for PR2. I do plan on using all 4 levels and was just looking over the scope and sequences for all the levels to see what she'd be covering in the future. Those other levels look great! I haven't figured out if we're going to use the Latin Road yet...I've got a few more years on that decision.

We have started Level one in the summer for my younger two, and it seems to be working just fine. It was hard to alternate between my daughter and son because they wanted to work on it together, but they are two years apart and she is reading while he is not, so I had to move her along farther. They enjoy doing the phonics bingo altogether though and I think this all in one LA program really teaches the rules and whys behind all the letters and words. I have found it difficult to watch the videos like Im supposed to, but have used the Writing Road to Reading 5th edition as my teacher guide. I plan on sticking to it, but as this is our first year, I dont promise anything. I really liked the idea of an all in one LA program though, it just made more sense to me.

We are newbies to PR but so far we enjoy it. I do plan to continue on with PR. We might continue through Latin Road but that is a long ways off for us. I'm hoping we'll continue to enjoy PR enough to use it all the way through. We might have to occasionally supplement just to mix things up and keep it interesting. But I am trying to stick to our decision since PR seems to work well for us.

So right now I try to avoid reading any of the other threads about language arts. Why is curriculum so addicting? :glare:

We started PR 1 for k-er in the spring last term, and will continue it as it is intended through this grade 1 year. DD6 loves PR and since she really enjoys it, I will not change for now.

I also started DS 10 on the Bridge to the Latin Road today. We'll see how that goes. So far day 1 was great.

I am using PR1 with my 1st and 2nd graders. I have PR2 sitting on my shelf for when my 2nd grader is ready to move on.

I was accelerating my (then) 4th grader through PR1, but decided it wasn't benefiting her enough to justify continuing. She has plenty of other LA materials to work with right now. It's done wonders for my boys, though. I'm very happy with how they are progressing in reading, writing, and spelling. Right now, my plan is to have them continue with PR through all 4 levels. I tend to have commitment issues with LA programs so we'll see if I actually do stick with it. ;)

We're using PR1 and loving it so much that I just purchased PR2 from a mom on these boards. My ds LOVES his apprentice manual. I, especially, appreciate the plastic sheet on the clipboard for practicing writing. He thinks it is so cool! And this is coming from a kid that hates penmanship. We fought so many battles last year with our previous phonics and handwriting programs. PR is a much welcomed change in our home! :D

I saw so many posts about PR about 6 months ago and now... crickets. I know curriculum is cyclical on these forums and lots of people move on to other things however I am wondering:

1) Who here is using PR this year?

2) Who is *planning* on sticking with PR through all 4 levels?

Just curious!

WOOT to everybody still in PR!

Yes, we are planning on sticking all the way through to LR3. Love it!

We will be starting next week, accelerating through what I have to teach DS10 in order to begin PR3, like phonograms, markings, rule tunes. I will accelerate DDs8 through 1 and move on to 2. I have 1,2 and 3- all purchased used from members here. I am going to take it slow and not stress (I think) because looking at all three is intimidating! I am excited also, hope kids agree! I am open to any and all suggestions and will be reading previous posts and blogs on "how to", I am sure.

Started out last year with a 7 yr old reader but POOR speller in PR 1 (who had already done IEW SWI A) as well as my 8 yr fluent reader, strong speller in Bridge.

Now 9 yr old is moving through Bridge and we are close to starting LR 1. We have discussed with him that LR 1 is for older children and he will have to work hard and we should take it slow.

On the fence with now 8 yr old, rather we will do PR3 and PR4 or use Bridge, which we already have. She is a strong writer and already has a very good understanding of sentence structure. We are taking our time to figure out what is best for her.

My children both plan to go through Latin Road, I suspect DD will actually end up using PR3 and PR4, as we can afford to spend the extra and I do not want to through her into LR too soon. She is very different than first born, who can read something and not only learning it but apply it to other areas of his life, nearly seamlessly!

The program is very well done. My greatest complaint is that I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to watching media and struggle to watch the teacher DVDs, but that is the only way to find out what to teach! My children know this is a struggle for me, because I want them to understand that we ALL have things we struggle with... even mom!