Menu

23K a year for private kindergarten? Wow!

We are not expected to give money beyond the boys' fees, except their personal expenses for uniforms, trips, lunches, etc.

There is a PTA, but it organises small-scale events to fund, for example, new curtains for the school hall.

Laura

That is the same way things work with private schools in Spain and Sri Lanka. Both my dh and I had culture shock here in the US in this regard!

We just moved from NYC and so $23K/year for private school still sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The pricey private schools here are far less, though.

There was a very small, very good school for children with autism in our old neighborhood and the tuition was $70K/year. I believe that there was at least one teacher per child, possibly more.

I also think then when you factor in the homeschooling parent's lost lifetime earnings, private school can start to look like a bargain compared to homeschooling. But I still think i can do a better job. Probably. Possibly. Well, we'll see. :tongue_smilie:

.."lost our money"..

What in the world? Ey ah..how did that chain of thinking go?

Was it some sort of logic that said, "Oh, they are not ps or private..but they are smart enough to know the local ps is not the best solution..so..homeschool was a second best choice?"

That's what I was thinking of --- an endowment fund is used for scholarships.

I still don't get why the request for the donation to the annual fund would make Barb want to heave. :confused:

Coming in late to answer. It's the tone that is making me want to heave. "...the actual cost of a Bentley education." They want to be sure you understand the amount of your donation is completely unrestricted (well, duh)...it is up to you how much you want to pay for your "Bentley education." What is YOUR child worth?

Barb

Coming in late to answer. It's the tone that is making me want to heave. "...the actual cost of a Bentley education." They want to be sure you understand the amount of your donation is completely unrestricted (well, duh)...it is up to you how much you want to pay for your "Bentley education." What is YOUR child worth?

Barb

Ah...yeah. It does sound like it might be on the smarmy side. I guess it is all part of the PR, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

There is a school near me that I believe is about $25,000 per year for elementary. I am thinking of applying there for DS. We could never, ever afford even a small fraction of that price, but they apparently have a very generous scholarship program. I figure they charge through the nose for people who can afford it, and use that to subsidize families who can't.

:001_huh:

I am not ok with that.

it just seems "off."

Like... "You can afford it, so pay my tuition."

capital campaigns for donations... fine. But charging anyone "extra" to cover the cost of someone else?!!

:001_huh:

I am not ok with that.

it just seems "off."

Like... "You can afford it, so pay my tuition."

capital campaigns for donations... fine. But charging anyone "extra" to cover the cost of someone else?!!

They want to be able to pay the tuition for kids who will increase their test score average or athletic success or win awards in music or art. That's the way they protect their reputation. If they had to rely on kids whose parents can pay full freight, they might not have a kid with perfect SATs or a winning football team. The parents who can pay are willing to pay extra to ensure the school's reputation.

They want to be able to pay the tuition for kids who will increase their test score average or athletic success or win awards in music or art. That's the way they protect their reputation. If they had to rely on kids whose parents can pay full freight, they might not have a kid with perfect SATs or a winning football team. The parents who can pay are willing to pay extra to ensure the school's reputation.

:iagree:

My full tuition scholarship to a 4 year college was totally about my SAT scores. The fact that I was a high school dropout with a 2yo didn't matter. I wouldn't have been able to go there without the "Presidential Scholarship."

It's all in what someone brings to the table - money isn't everything. I know around here that "diversity" is important and scholarship money goes to scholarships for students that bring something unique to the table.

If parents don't want to pay more and have others get scholarships, then they should find a different school.

We've got a couple schools like this locally darn close to 20K for kindergarten. We toured one of them. The thing is for a precocious kid, they're still working at grade level. And you are still in a classroom of peers that might bully or you can have teacher that might not click, etc.

I have a friend that pulled her daughter out of a private K that was 15K a year for a much cheaper school because the 12 kids in the class were over privileged bullies that harassed her non stop at age 5. I know other people who pulled out of the 20K+ school because their kids weren't learning anything academically. I know other people at the 20K schools paying like things like Sylan and private tutors on top of their 20K school to challenge their kid in math!?

We have good, highly rated public schools here and honestly these high end schools aren't THAT much better for the price. Class size is better, yes, and maybe you get music and Spanish or something. But we're doing high end music lessons (much better than you'd get in a school setting) and Spanish for nothing compared to that.