Menu

Is there really any point in having a spelling program?

keyjoh62080

My daughter is in third grade and for some reason I do not see the point in having a spelling program. I've tried several and they all just seemed like a list of words with no real purpose. Can I just continue to take words from her writing that she spells incorrectly and words from her current literature readings that she does not know how to spell?

Thanks SO much!

If she's a natural speller, it sounds like she may not need one. You could also just do a dictation program that hits all the words she'd likely need to know how to spell (Spelling Wisdom and Simply Spelling both do this).

Personally, I don't find the "here's a list - memorize it" style programs to be as useful. I'd rather teach why we spell words like we do, and use a lot of dictation to cement the spelling.

Also, isn't there a book or curriculum that studies the most commonly used/misspelled words? If I can find something like that I plan to use it with my 10 year old as all I really want to do with him is increase his vocabulary and he will pick up the spelling along with it.

Anyone have ideas what I could use for this?

I think it depends on the child.

My oldest DS, I never used one. He never had spelling issues, guess he just learned by reading. He has no issues with spelling today. Perhaps he is missing the "why" behind the reasoning some words are spelled the way they are spelled....I guess time will tell with that.

My middle DS, he's gonna need one, I am sure of it. He's delayed in reading, and just kind of a struggling learner over all. I foresee him spelling words the way they sound, which is not always going to be correct.

Also, isn't there a book or curriculum that studies the most commonly used/misspelled words? If I can find something like that I plan to use it with my 10 year old as all I really want to do with him is increase his vocabulary and he will pick up the spelling along with it.

Anyone have ideas what I could use for this?

Yes, and it's pretty cheap! Spelling Plus with an optional add-in of Spelling Dictation. Plus, it organizes them by rule and pattern. Cheap and efficient!!

I think the reasons behind why words are spelled a certain way is important...it helps with spelling issues later on. Also, I try to pick spelling programs that incorporate vocab also. However, there are ways to help with spelling and vocab without a separate spelling program. For example, in the child's reading you could pick out 20 words that they are not familiar with and have them define them and do a little spelling test at the week, etc. Just one example.

I know there are a lot of spell checking programs everywhere now...but I think its so important to be a good speller. Too much kids these days I see on Facebook, etc. who are NOT good at spelling.

We study the words on Merriam Webster's site for the national spelling bee. It breaks down the roots and gives rules for words from those roots.

My son is a natural speller. He uses the words as much for vocab as spelling. It is kind of fun and the website is of course free.

http://www.myspellit.com/

He is working through the latin based words now, looking up definitions, writing sample sentences. It doubles as some handwriting practice too.

I don't think I would pay for a spelling program for a kid who is a strong speller. There are so many free word lists.

Edited by kijipt

You can't get into the PDF without a spelling be sign in BUT from each root, you can print the words and rules and use the audio files. We mostly work off of printouts but sometimes he looks up the definitions on the iPad. He likes practicing using the big book dictionary though, LOL.

I noticed your son is 8. Mine is 10 and honestly never seems to need to study a spelling word at all. I don't want to totally ignore spelling but want to add more challenging words to those he already knows. He soaks them up like a sponge. Do think this is appropriate for those goals and with a 10 year old?

Well, traditional public-school style spelling lists/programs do nothing for my child who is a poor speller. She'll remember words for Friday's test and do fine, and then the words just leak out her left ear within a week after she's tested. :rolleyes: I just ordered AAS and I sure HOPE it helps.

My youngest is a natural speller and I have no plans to do a spelling program with her any time soon.

I noticed your son is 8. Mine is 10 and honestly never seems to need to study a spelling word at all. I don't want to totally ignore spelling but want to add more challenging words to those he already knows. He soaks them up like a sponge. Do think this is appropriate for those goals and with a 10 year old?

The words are often things he unfamiliar of the meaning of so the vocab part really helps. Both he and his dad are people that basically can spell any word they hear even if they have never seen it written so he does not need a lot of help in this area. He is tests as gifted, but is "profoundly" so in verbal stuff. I think the national spelling bee kids are 12-13 y.o. middle schoolers, so I would assume it would be helpful for an advanced speller who is 10. They have "challenge" words for each root group too. It is worth playing around with, especially since it is totally free.

We do spelling through copywork/dictation. We use Spelling Wisdom http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spelling-wisdom/, starting in 3rd grade. It works great for us. Along with always encouraging them to ask when they are not sure of how to spell something, instead of writing the incorrect spellings down. When they see it spelled wrong it sticks in their mind and the picture is then harder to erase. When they ask, I have them think it through and only help if needed.

It depends on the kid. My dd7 is a great reader, but when asked to spell a simple word, like "can," she'll say "cn." I'm doing Soaring With Spelling with her, level one at a pace of two chapters per week. It's easy for her so far, but without it, she just leaves out vowels. :001_smile:

It depends on the kid. My dd7 is a great reader, but when asked to spell a simple word, like "can," she'll say "cn." I'm doing Soaring With Spelling with her, level one at a pace of two chapters per week. It's easy for her so far, but without it, she just leaves out vowels. :001_smile:

Have you explained to her that every syllable must have a vowel? (y = a vowel in this case) That might help. :)

Yes, and it's pretty cheap! Spelling Plus with an optional add-in of Spelling Dictation. Plus, it organizes them by rule and pattern. Cheap and efficient!!

We use this. I pretext on Monday. If he gets all the words right we leave it until Friday. I might have him read the list, but that Is it. If he misses a word, we practice. If it is a new rule, we go over it. We test again on Friday. The next week I use the dictation sentences from that list. We have done lists 4 and 5 this way. Now that we know the routine, I am going to test to accelerate him.

It is a simple system and it was cap. plus you can use it for every child without copying or buying workbooks. Just some paper.

I haven't read all the posts, but my answer to your initial question is NO! I have kids who are terrible spellers and kids who are natural spellers. The terrible spellers learned to spell by reading and writing. The natural spellers learned to spell by reading and writing, only they learned a lot faster than the terrible spellers!

I do believe in giving spelling guidance. So I do post spelling rules on our kitchen wall, and I also give the kids the rules when they ask how to spell something. And some times I sit down and give intensive lessons dealing with specific spelling issues, but spelling programs have either been a frustrating waste of time or merely busy work that didn't really accomplish anything.

I haven't read all the posts, but my answer to your initial question is NO! I have kids who are terrible spellers and kids who are natural spellers. The terrible spellers learned to spell by reading and writing. The natural spellers learned to spell by reading and writing, only they learned a lot faster than the terrible spellers!

I do believe in giving spelling guidance. So I do post spelling rules on our kitchen wall, and I also give the kids the rules when they ask how to spell something. And some times I sit down and give intensive lessons dealing with specific spelling issues, but spelling programs have either been a frustrating waste of time or merely busy work that didn't really accomplish anything.

This sounds like a good idea. Do you have a resource of the "spelling rules". Something I don't have to think about? :D

Yes. My daughter tests at a 5th grade reading level and reads for pleasure constantly, but in her free writing she comes up with things like "des" for "dress" and "plars" for "players." We're doing AAS 1 and she's coming along fine. It didn't happen automatically just with good reading skills, though.

:iagree: This is where we are at. We attack spelling through dictation, and I give spelling guidance as needed. I tried AAS for a moment last year, but it was tedious busywork for us.

Have you explained to her that every syllable must have a vowel? (y = a vowel in this case) That might help. :)

Yeah. It just hasn't clicked yet. I think when she really gets this, she'll probably be a great speller, like her dad.

I, on the other hand, am not a great speller, but I do have good instincts to look up words that look funny. (And I even had to look up "yeah" for my first word to make sure I wasn't saying "Yay!"):001_huh:

ETA: I also do Soaring With Spelling for the phonics aspect of it. My dd tends to read only the first half of words and (usually correctly) guess the last part of the word. I want her to read the entire word and know how suffixes can change things up.