Menu

Salary Requirements

How do you phrase this? Do you put it in your cover letter?

If the job specifies telecommuting is ok, do you put your requirements based on that? Do you specify that they're based on that?

Or do you keep it all minimal & simply put a range of #s? It seems silly to put an upper limit. :confused:

Never ever put it in a cover letter. Never discuss salary until AFTER they love you and want you. Research what is appropriate pay for the job you're looking at. Then when they start talking $$, figure out if it's a fair amount, then if it's in the ballpark, pause, start writing some stuff in your notebook for a minute or two, look up and say "can you do better?"

Money, IMO, should not be discussed until they want you.

I would not put salary requirements in a cover letter. Generally, unless the salary requirements are specifically asked for on an application or an employer asks in person about this, it is considered in bad form in the business world to discuss money, according to dh.

However, being in the social services/mental health arena, I have found less stigma is attached to the discussion of money.

Nonetheless, I would not mention salary requirements in a cover letter for any job. I assume this is regarding a potential job for your dh. If so, I hope it is fruitful. :001_smile:

I would not put salary requirements in a cover letter. Generally, unless the salary requirements are specifically asked for on an application or an employer asks in person about this, it is considered in bad form in the business world to discuss money, according to dh.

Oh, of course not! But I've heard that if they ASK & you don't include it, you won't be considered *at all.*

So I'm sending a res & cover letter for a job I really, really want. It asks for salary requirements. I don't know what to put. Since telecommuting is listed as acceptable, I'm willing to take less, kwim? But it's also a "temp" job. So I'm not even sure whether to put annual or hourly.

However, being in the social services/mental health arena, I have found less stigma is attached to the discussion of money.

Nonetheless, I would not mention salary requirements in a cover letter for any job. I assume this is regarding a potential job for your dh. If so, I hope it is fruitful. :001_smile:

Thanks. :)

Don't mention salary in a cover letter. Some applications leave a space for expected pay or previous pay; but don't mention it if they don't. Like the PPs said - make them want you, then discuss pay. Be sure you have researched the pay range for the field you are looking at.

Don't mention salary in a cover letter. Some applications leave a space for expected pay or previous pay; but don't mention it if they don't. Like the PPs said - make them want you, then discuss pay. Be sure you have researched the pay range for the field you are looking at.

There's no "application." I'm sending a res, cover letter, & writing samples. The post also asks for salary req's. I could pretend I didn't see that, but...in the field of writing/editing, that seems like a bad idea. :lol:

Could you just address the salary matter by stating you are happy to discuss an appropriate salary with them? And be ready to talk about in the interview.

:iagree: This is what I would do.

I am praying for you & your family, Aubrey -

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Anne

I read something on this the other day. The article said if you must because they won't consider you if you don't you would use the amount that you made at your last job if you have been out of work for awhile or if you have recently worked add 20% to that. Of course this assumes that you have done this type of work before. The other thing it suggested was researching what others are making in that field for that location.

Do you know how the company generally pays (hourly, salaried, per piece or even word if it is writing)?

I would probably call and ask what they are looking for when they ask for salary requirements (but I wouldn't give them my name).

I general note that salary is negotiable based on specific job requirements and benefits. If I suspect they are being hard-nosed about including it, I will put a range, again noting that job requirements and benefits will affect my required salary; ie, if the job includes travel, salary reqs go up. If they repeat or emphasize that salary reqs or ALL information is required, then they definitely want to see it. "Applications without complete information will not be considered," etc.

If I include it, it goes right in the cover letter; no need to be cute about it. "Based on the job description and my experience, I would anticipate making $ to $$, depending on the specific requirements and benefits of the job." For a temporary job in writing/editing, I would express it as hourly pay.

Often, they want to know that they are not wasting time talking to someone about a $30k job when that person is expecting to make $60k. Or, conversely, they may not wish to speak to someone who lists a very low salary requirement for a job that pays much higher, because they will assume you do not have the experience required.

My husband always put negotiable or left it blank. We ran into a problem even knowing what to put before his last job. He was moving from Los Angeles to Charlotte and we knew the salary would be vastly different between those two cities.

Dawn