Menu

What book is your 5 y.o. reading?

zaichiki

What is your 5 y.o. absolutely wild about? What will (s)he re-read over and over and... for hours?

Ds(5) is like this with Calvin and Hobbes. :glare:

When dd ws 5 it was Dr. Seuss.

My oldest was in love with any books written by Robert Ballard (found the Titanic and JFK's PT-109) when he was 5.

My son got hooked on Calvin at 5 too. I crocheted him a Hobbes for his 6th birthday :)

He moved on to Foxtrot (after reading every Calvin book I have) and now catches some of the allusions from Foxtrot as we read literature now. It's fun to hear, "Oh! That explains this comic..." :D

I think the comics increased his vocabulary too. My husband was teasing him the other night and asked him to use an impressive vocabulary word to show he had a good vocabulary (after ds was bragging about it). Ds said, "Let me ponder that..." and went to think, not realizing that "ponder" would have done it :)

Funny! I would have said anything about birds. He has an obsession that has been going on for a long time. But now that you mention C&H it reminds me that he LOVES Garfield right now. Uncle gave him a Garfield treasury. Ds has read it over and over, sitting on the couch giggling to himself.:lol:

Whatever I check out from the library. She loves Amelia Bedelia, Calvin and Hobbes, Berenstein Bears [which I hate]. She just told me that she hasn't read Magic Tree House yet, she's just been looking at them. :tongue_smilie:

I do need to check for gaps in her phonics, she kinda taught herself.

I think the comics increased his vocabulary too.

Isn't that great?!

My 5 y.o. is now asking everyone in the family to play "the gross out game." He says that it's Calvin's game... Other than that I haven't yet heard the vocabulary.

My oldest, though, is ALWAYS working vocab he gets from reading into his conversations.

Harry Potter. He's obsessed. I'm only letting him have the first three, and he just keeps reading and rereading them.

This was my oldest at 6 and 7. He snuck the 6th book at 8 y.o. and then went back and reread them all over and over. He would read nothing else for weeks. Months maybe. It freaked me out a bit and I took them all away and donated them to my library. Heh. Now I'm repurchasing them. :o

Thankfully my 5 y.o. lets me do the HP books as read alouds, though he has snuck parts of chapters here and there. We're on Chamber of Secrets right now and he is fascinated, though a bit scared. He has asked me to read the book, but not. to. say. the. word. basilisk. I'm not sure how much further we're going to go before I put the books on hold. I'd like to read him parts of the third book. We'll see...

My son is reading and re-reading the 3 Halloween costume catalogs we've recently gotten in the mail, as well has his ratty toy catalogs from last year. (Does anyone else have a kid that does this? He loves them!).

Yes! (raising hand) Me!

My boys love their Lego catalogs. They also try to save all the toy catalogs we get during Christmas shopping season. They look at them constantly.

My dd loves clothing catalogs -- Hannah Anderson and Lands' End. Talk about window shopping (and comparing sizes, prices, and descriptions)! She pairs things up to make outfits and circles everything she likes. She won't let me throw them out! (I hardly ever purchase from them, but I have to admit that I do like window shopping this way, too. hee hee)

Well not to scare you, but dd, whose first book was a Calvin & Hobbes, STILL loves comics. :)

:lol:

My 12 y.o. is like that too. He'll read Tom Clancy, but the next day he's curled up with a Tin Tin or Calvin and Hobbes. He's read them so many times he must have them memorized by now.

Anything she can get her hands on!

She has read and reread Ivy and Bean, Franny K Stein (3 times in a week, there are 7 books!), Nancy Dew and the Clue Crew books, etc.

We are doing the 1st Harry Potter as a read aloud right now but I think she has read a few chapters on her own as well.

She loves Garfield and Babymouse and always has some of those out of the library it seems.

She has read some longer books (trying to talk her into more of those as she will read 5-10 shorter ones a night) like Half Magic, Goddess Girls, Bobbsey Twins but loves the shorter series too much to give them up yet I guess.

My newly turned 6y/o loves the Thea stilton books (reads them in an afternoon), magic faraway tree books are a hit too. She enjoyed the first series of unfortunate events book. She always chooses a mountain of those easy rainbow fairy books from the library and reads through one in her reading/rest time in the afternoon.

My 5 year old isn't reading much compared with some here.

I write him books called, "The Box Car Pets". It stars the 4 favorite stuffed animals in the house; two panadas (Panda and JigO), Mousey and Chicky. When writing the books I can write out the names Panda and JigO, but I use pictures to represent Mousey and Chicky.

Each book is made by cutting two pieces of paper in half, folding them and stapling them. The first ten books used only short vowels. The latest book used the vowel combination "oo" in the word "look".

The series has great titles such as:

In a up box

Ick and yuck

Nut gun (The book also had a rat gun, which shot rats out of it)

I draw one picture in each book. One book had a picture of chicky kicking a poo. I think the words were "Chicky kicks a ick plop."

Great literature I know. When my youngest is done with it he wants to sell the series to the library. :001_smile:

off topic - but zaichiki, I see you are doing russian. Can I ask what resources you use? We're planning to start russian in 2012 but I'm finding it hard to source a good program...

We have fridge magnets, toddler and children's books, kids' songs on CD and kids movies' on DVD, and Rosetta Stone Russian.

Russian is dh's native language, so we have a native speaker handy too. :lol:

I'm currently looking for a Russian-as-a-second-language beginning grammar curriculum for kids b/c dd wants something she can do in a textbook/workbook instead of on the computer. Hmmm... not sure where to look for that... Most of the curriculum stuff out there is for high school/college... She really needs something made for kids. If you find something good let me know too!

Favorites for my 5 yr. old were Roald Dahl books, American Girl books, E.B. White and Beverly Cleary books. My son at that age read geography and animal books more than anything else, but when I forced fiction he chose those books . My daughter at that age would also choose some fairy books that I very much disliked. Luckily she has outgrown those!

We have fridge magnets, toddler and children's books, kids' songs on CD and kids movies' on DVD, and Rosetta Stone Russian.

Russian is dh's native language, so we have a native speaker handy too. :lol:

I'm currently looking for a Russian-as-a-second-language beginning grammar curriculum for kids b/c dd wants something she can do in a textbook/workbook instead of on the computer. Hmmm... not sure where to look for that... Most of the curriculum stuff out there is for high school/college... She really needs something made for kids. If you find something good let me know too!

Darn, I was hoping for some super fantastic insider tips! :D I've been looking at Russian step-by-step as our main contender at this stage, but tbh I have no idea yet! http://russianstepbystep.com/ It looks more for adults, but maybe I can tailor it? If I come up with something I'll let you know! :001_smile:

My DH speaks a similar slavic language (not cyrilic though), but we're all keen to learn russian together.

I've been looking at Russian step-by-step as our main contender at this stage, but tbh I have no idea yet! http://russianstepbystep.com/ It looks more for adults, but maybe I can tailor it? If I come up with something I'll let you know! :001_smile:

I watched the video. I started out thinkinig it would be great. The first sections (text/dialogue, exercises, and grammar) seemed likey they'd be a good fit. But there's too much extraneous stuff in that book. Answer keys in the back? A dictionary? Why not just get a real dictionary? I've not seen anything else yet, though. If I find anything I'll let you know.

ETA: I found this!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1456538985/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We also have this: My First 1000 Words in Russian.

Edited by zaichiki

Ok... My 6 year old is not reading at all. He just turned 6, but I was thinking that was pretty normal. Is it not?:confused:

I think that is pretty normal. If it makes you feel better you can look at my post.

My 5 year old isn't reading much compared with some here.

I write him books called, "The Box Car Pets". It stars the 4 favorite stuffed animals in the house; two pandas (Panda and JigO), Mousey and Chicky. When writing the books I can write out the names Panda and JigO, but I use pictures to represent Mousey and Chicky.

Each book is made by cutting two pieces of paper in half, folding them and stapling them. The first ten books used only short vowels. The latest book used the vowel combination "oo" in the word "look".

The series has great titles such as:

In a up box

Ick and yuck

Nut gun (The book also had a rat gun, which shot rats out of it)

I draw one picture in each book. One book had a picture of chicky kicking a poo. I think the words were "Chicky kicks a ick plop."

Great literature I know. When my youngest is done with it he wants to sell the series to the library. :001_smile:

Ok... My 6 year old is not reading at all. He just turned 6, but I was thinking that was pretty normal. Is it not?:confused:

It *is* normal. And fine.

But that's the reason I posted this thread on the accelerated learner's board and not the K-8 or General Forums.

My boys love their Lego catalogs.

My sons, who are only two and four, regularly fight over the Lego catalogs. The last one we got is in tatters, but there is less fighting now because it has been pulled apart into multiple sections. Lego must know how to make those things appealing.

My oldest is not quite five, but he just reads all the picture books in the house. The Best Nest, Crictor, and What's Alive were popular for a while, but I haven't noticed any particular favorite lately. He's not interested in reading chapter books, too many words on the pages.

It *is* normal. And fine.

But that's the reason I posted this thread on the accelerated learner's board and not the K-8 or General Forums.

Opps, sorry. I never noticed that. In that case, my posts don't belong. :) Sorry everyone.

(Except for wall climbing, and all sorts of climbing my youngest is pretty much within the range of normal in all things)

I do need to check for gaps in her phonics, she kinda taught herself.

How do you do that? I can't imagine that my oldest son will ever sit through a series of phonics lessons when we start formal schooling. How do you find the gaps without studying phonics? Have them read aloud each day when you start formal school and listen for the mistakes?

How do you do that? I can't imagine that my oldest son will ever sit through a series of phonics lessons when we start formal schooling. How do you find the gaps without studying phonics? Have them read aloud each day when you start formal school and listen for the mistakes?

A member here (Elizabeth?) has some pages with "nonsense words" on her site that you could use.

I don't have a five year old...but my four year old has been reading herself the stories in the "What Your Preschooler Needs to Know" book. Her other favorite book right now is a "Fun with Words" child's dictionary. She recently informed me that her toy box is full of commodities.

My sons, who are only two and four, regularly fight over the Lego catalogs.

Yesterday I told them I was going to get rid of ALL the Lego catalogs ("and any catalog I can find!!!") in the whole house. I had completely lost my patience for the bickering: "that's MY catalog -- no YOURS is the other one -- you ripped a page out of MY catalog -- but *I* want a turn next!- and on and on and on...)

What a mean mother I am. :lol:

Mine turned 5 last week. She loves any kind of fairy tale or princess books she can find. She has enjoyed for a long time Henry and Mudge, Amelia Bedelia, and anything by Arnold Lobell. Recently, she's been really into all the anatomy type books I got to go along with LOS and CC for the year that I was not intending for her to read yet. Good thing I have some that I plan to get from the library later. We have to compromise in her schoolwork because she wants to read everything to me that is meant to be a read aloud including the devotionals (we take turns). Sometimes I have to keep the newspaper where she can't see the headlines. Basically, if it looks like a kids book and has entered the house she will read it. If it looks like something that she *knows* I want her to read for knowledge she won't be interested. :glare:

My dd didn't have much interest in reading for entertainment at age 5, she always (and still) prefers writing books herself. Finally, she is getting into more books at age 6. She went from reading nothing on her own to Beverly Cleary, Kathryn Lasky, and and Moominland, which are current favorites. We just finished A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett on audiobook, and now she wants to read the book on her own. She had picked out the Classic Starts (abridged) version but noticed it just wasn't the same. She started to read the free unabridged version on my iPad, but she prefers real books. So today we may get that. On the way down she is begging to listen to the Hobbit, an audiobook we started last night.