Menu

Has anyone put DC in school and

ended up pulling them right back out (in the first 1-2 months)? If so, tell me about it- why did you pull them back out? Academics? Social issues? How did it go? Or did you put DC in school, have a very rough start, persevered and it improved???? Tips? Tricks?

:confused:

Here's our situation.

Due to a recent, stressful move we decided to put DD into a small, church school for this year. She was placed in an age-appropriate class (2nd grade) and there are 10 other kiddos in the class, so a pretty decent student/teacher ratio. But she is beyond 2nd grade work- in HS terms, she was just finishing up Math Mammoth 2b, and is reading on a 4th+ grade level and so on.

So she loves the social aspect (other than being the new kid in a small school) and seems to love everything about school (particularly recess, PE & art)- other than the fact that its too easy. :lol: Day 2, and she's already commenting on how easy it is and asking me to remind her where she 'should' be at..... Hmmmm She loves a challenge and is a very bright girl- but as awful as it sounds, we are willing to sacrifice academics for this one year because of the greater social/family gains. And in our family, its not about any one person- its what works for the group.

Obviously this is a HS board, so I anticipate that 99.9% will say 'pull her out and HS'. LOL Please trust that we did not make this decision lightly- and there is good reason why we put her in school. My hope was that it was just for this year and then next fall, we'd return to homeschooling.

I need to hear from those who have, for whatever reason, chosen to temporarily put DC back in school. How did you navigate it?

I was prepared for a certain level of frustration w/ it being 'too easy' but am not sure what to expect if she's already noting that its too easy. Its waaaaay more difficult that I expected to be faced with the fact that she is essentially wasting time, academically speaking.

I guess I need some outside perspective/input.

Since she seems interested in keeping up with where she "should" be, why not supplement with a couple of things after school/on weekends, so you'll be ready to pick up again after this year. Maybe just math and some literature, a few fun writing exercises here and there?

Honestly, on Day 2 there is usually little work going on and kids are still trying to learn routines, etc. The work will kick in and hopefully the teacher will be able to provide a challenge.

If you are committed to having her there for the year, I'd focus on helping her stay positive about school. You don't want her to develop a poor attitude, thinking she is "above" the classwork. You can always supplement at home.

11 kids in a class? I'd say you scored! Sounds like it will be a great year.

Honestly, on Day 2 there is usually little work going on and kids are still trying to learn routines, etc. The work will kick in and hopefully the teacher will be able to provide a challenge.

If you are committed to having her there for the year, I'd focus on helping her stay positive about school. You don't want her to develop a poor attitude, thinking she is "above" the classwork. You can always supplement at home.

11 kids in a class? I'd say you scored! Sounds like it will be a great year.

I know! The student teacher ratio is incredible- plus its a very inexpensive tuition. :) LOVE IT.

RE the ease of curriculum this first week- its K level work- counting items, 3 + 2 etc. I expected review, but when I checked out the ABEKA scope & sequence for the year, that I realized we've literally already covered every single point. So I guess its more figuring out how to work with what we've got.

As for after schooling, I'm interested in it of course except that she is there 7.5 hours, plus 30 minutes of homework every night that we do together (reading, flashcards, memory work etc). Beyond that I'm not really interested in taking even MORE time for school.

Can you talk to the teacher at the end of next week. Maybe you could send in Math Mammoth 3A for her to do at school instead of Abeka? Are you able to volunteer at the school? You will get a good feel for their attitudes when you are there frequently.

(by the way I totally understand what you are doing and would probably do exactly the same if I were in your situation - regarding school in a new town)

Can you talk to the teacher at the end of next week. Maybe you could send in Math Mammoth 3A for her to do at school instead of Abeka? Are you able to volunteer at the school? You will get a good feel for their attitudes when you are there frequently.

(by the way I totally understand what you are doing and would probably do exactly the same if I were in your situation - regarding school in a new town)

Good idea about sending MathMammoth..... my only concern is that it is a different way of doing math and it has enough of a curve w/ it that I'm not sure the teacher will want to take time to spend w/ her.... who knows

Yes, I'd like to volunteer as soon as things have settled. DD is already having enough of 'new girl' issues so I don't want to add to that... So far we haven't had a good response from her teacher RE homeschooling.... everyone in the school has been magnificent. I feel like we got the dud, but I'm trying to work past that :lol:

Thanks RE your understanding too :)

In 2001, my children went to school for 8 weeks due to significant life changes at the time. We felt it would be a babysitter for the most part. I had every intention of being responsible for their education. We simply thought we needed school for that year.

My daughter was registered a grade above age-based grade level due to a late bday. We didn't expect her to learn much in terms of academics as she was still many grade levels further along academically. We did hope she would learn some things such as organization and would make a few girlfriends. She did make a few friends. We won't talk about the condition of her desk.

Now, how we worked it was that the school offered her a grade skip and to a specialized program for GT students. We declined as she was already the youngest in her grade as well as she didn't want to lose her friends. Additionally, one grade level wasn't going to make an difference academically. I sent schoolwork, took her for quality books from a real library, etc so she had something at school. She also did everything her schoolmates did. Blah.

We probably would have allowed her to continue like this though her fave classes went from math and reading to recess and lunch.

But she has a little brother.

He was not academically ready for his age-based grade but we were told that half of the first graders were about the same level (this in a nationally recognized school district <sigh>). The school wanted him to do in-class interventions as well as pull outs AND stay after school. I put my foot down at the latter. They wanted to focus on reading and writing, but wouldn't accommodate his math level (advanced). Additionally, he was having significant emotional/behavioral issues (he's on the spectrum). We felt that was where the focus needed to be. How can you learn when you can't function (he spent a good bit of time crying in the hall or bathroom when at school while raging at home)? They wouldn't hear of it. This escalated significantly, to a point I'm no longer comfortable putting on a message board. It was severe.

For my son's safety, we pulled him out. We made changes in order to be able to do so and of course, at that point, we were then able to homeschool dd also. So she also was pulled out.

DD was in school 8 weeks. DS started and ended at the same time but missed about 8 days of that.

ETA: All schools do review at first unless there isn't a significant enough break to warrant it. Ideally, most children are finding it fairly easy. They may have forgotten this or that but then have lots of "oh yeah, now I remember." Even if your daughter doesn't need that, it is probably generally a good thing. Of course, you could send work (which is what we chose). And you can afterschool (which is what we'll be doing this school year with our littles who are required to attend school).

Edited by 2J5M9K

Definitely talk to the teacher. Although I just started homeschooling, the supplemental schooling I was doing before ps-K meant my ds was ahead of the standard curriculum. At first, the teacher was dismissive, but in a few weeks time realized she would need to supplement so ds wasn't bored, as boredom led to rambunctious behavior. Good schools and experienced teachers can recognize that a child can be academically advanced, while still at the right level for emotional maturity. Our local PS will regroup children according to ability amongst the classes during the day for reading and math, but keep similar ages together for other activities.

However, there is still only so much one person can do for ten children of the same age. Be prepared to supplement at home and gently steer your child to educational activities. I wouldn't encourage to push your dd too hard, as you don't want to turn her off schooling all together in case you must continue school-outside-the-home for awhile.

My eldest wanted to return to school for high school. We put her into a small church based school in 8th to see how it would go. I lasted 5 weeks. Academically she was fine, making all A's. Socially she was fine. However, school took ALL of her time. She was doing homework and studying constantly. I mean from 6 a.m until 2 a.m. I actually kept her out "sick" one day to try to get work done ahead of time so that we could take a family trip that weekend. I thought we had done it. Nope. I under estimated the amount of assigned work. She spent Friday night and until 11 a.m. Saturday morning doing homework. At that point I took it away and told her she was done. I withdrew her on Monday. The school used BJUP for science. I liked the book and ordered it for us to use at home to finish the year. The teacher was literally assigning 3 days of work to be done in a day. She assigned everything possible to do for the lessons. (Most teachers pick and choose what to do from one day. She used everything possible from three!!!) That made me feel a whole lot better. I kenw dd worked fairly slowly, but this was just insane. Dd wasn't happy, but she was relieved.

I don't know what state you are in or whether the rules differ because it's a church school or whether these kinds of laws are around in other states. However, I just heard from a friend the other day who is sending her son to school for the first time that, at least here, the rule is that you are not allowed to withdraw your child and go back to homeschooling until a certain number of days have passed (roughly equivalent to one semester).

Again, I have no idea whether it applies in your situation. But I'd never heard of the rule, and I'd hate for someone to get caught in that trap.

Often the first week or so is review, so it should be easy. If she still feels that way in a few weeks, then you need to figure out what to do. Talking to the teacher about it would be the first step.

:iagree: I guess I wouldn't sweat it this early in the year. I'd give it even a month to shake out and see where you're at then. That said, if you *NEED* school to work this year and your daughter enjoys it socially, I don't think you'll ruin her by any stretch. Find something challenging for her to do as an "extra". Like music lessons or an athletic endeavor or afterschooling a couple times a week. Make sure you have a good supply of books for her to be reading.

My child went to 2 years of PS. Long story, but we stayed there the entire 2 years even though I wanted to pull him sooner.

We did. What a mess we caused last year! My kids wanted to try school last year. Their best friends had gone back to school, they were lonely, had never tried school, and my health and patience were wearing thin. After a few mths of teasing and hating school, we pulled them out in October.

A few months later, in May, we put them back in. I had a lack of patience and they were lonely, and we also weren't sure what we were doing.

Fast-forward to this year, and we're hs again. The school is good, just not good enough. The teacher DS had last year was amazing, but the ones for next year, not so much.

My DD was bored in K, so spent most of the time reading her brother's 2nd grade reading assignments. My DS said he liked school better since it was SO easy, and he didn't really have to work...grrr.

They both liked having a lot more kids to play with- so we've joined a co-op, and made social endeavours a priority. I also promised I'd take them to the school playground at least 1-2 times a week after school so they could play with the kids they would miss.

I would give it at least 4 weeks, pray a great deal and I've just always found He always makes it clear...I trust that He can make those kinds of decisions and usually does...but giving it enough time to have those questions answered clearly gives us moms much needed peace about big decisions! :)

We moved into my DH's grandmothers and I enrolled ds into the local school as a short term fix until we were in our own place again. He was there an entire 2 days and right back out he went. When the teacher is too busy to speak to a parent because she is planning a party there is a problem. I took test scores with me that shows he is reading at a much higher level than he was enrolled and they sent home a book with two or three words per page for him to read. I was glad I pulled him even though it meant more work on my part to get us out on our own again.