Menu

If you have a steam mop, tell me how you love/hate it

I have the shark steam mop and it works wonders. I love it. When my first one broke, I ran out to buy another one about a month later. My floors just weren't the same with the regular mop and bucket. With 2 dogs and the princess still crawling, I need to try to keep the floors as clean as possible.

One word of caution, don't lean on the mop or press down on it too hard or the handle snaps off. That was my mistake when I broke ours. :001_smile:

I have the Shark and it is OK, just OK. I could mop with hot water and have it be just as effective.

I love the little Shark hand held cleaner and thought the big one would be useful but I don't pull it out much because it just doesn't do enough more than regular mopping to make cleaning it all up worth it.

I bought a Shark to try on my tile floors. I used it for about 3 weeks and then I returned it (bought at Bed Bath and Beyond because of their great return policy).

Two big reasons that I returned it. 1. It took at least 3x longer to mop with it than it does with my regular mop. 2. It left my floors streaky (tried tap water, distilled water, mixing tap & distilled, etc.), no matter what, they were still streaky.

The one caution I would give when using any steam mop is to make sure you empty the water chamber after each use, otherwise the water will mold/sour and smell up your floors the next time you use it. DS2 is keeper of the floors here and we learned this lesson the hard way.

Edited to add that we too have a Haan.

Edited by Lovin Learnin

I have the shark steam mop and it works wonders. I love it. When my first one broke, I ran out to buy another one about a month later. My floors just weren't the same with the regular mop and bucket. With 2 dogs and the princess still crawling, I need to try to keep the floors as clean as possible.

One word of caution, don't lean on the mop or press down on it too hard or the handle snaps off. That was my mistake when I broke ours. :001_smile:

We have the Shark steam mop as well (the purple one) and i love it. It is easy enough for the kids to use and with 3 dogs, we have to mop quite a bit. It works well on bamboo and tile floors, and I like that it's just plug in and go - no bucket, no mess, no wringing out the mop. Also like the different attachments/cloths that come with it and that you can just flip over the whole mop when one side of the cloth is dirty.

I have a Eureka Enviro Steamer. Love is too strong a word :001_smile:, but I think it was a good purchase. I had problems with it leaving streaks, too, but I found a fix. I pour some hot water into the tray where the mop head sits before I heat it up. Having the mop head extra wet has eliminated the streaks. It does take a bit longer to dry, though. I get annoyed with the cord, and having to drain the water, but I think it does a better job than any other method I have tried.

:iagree: I love mine. I bought the basic shark model first and it did great but I think b/c I am a heavy user [wood/tile floors] the pump mechanism broke. I bought the next model up and I still love it.

I'm getting lots of helpful info-thanks! I have a couple of extra questions. How often do you change the pad that goes on the bottom? Do you have to buy extra pads, or does the steam mop come with enough?

The model I just bought came with 3 different mop pads. I also had the pads from my previous model so I have more then enough. My entire first floor is wood/tile so I change the pad every time I go do a different room. But I keep an eye on the pad b/c if my floors are extra dirty then it get's changed sooner.

I have a Eureka Enviro Steamer. Love is too strong a word :001_smile:, but I think it was a good purchase. I had problems with it leaving streaks, too, but I found a fix. I pour some hot water into the tray where the mop head sits before I heat it up. Having the mop head extra wet has eliminated the streaks. It does take a bit longer to dry, though. I get annoyed with the cord, and having to drain the water, but I think it does a better job than any other method I have tried.

I was thinking of trying the 'wet the pad first' trick. I was noticing it took 'too long' for the steam to saturate the pad to effectively mop. Thanks for that tip.

I have the same mop. It works. As stated above 'love is a strong word' indeed. But it does work better than anything else I've tried. Aside from perhaps a really thorough hands and knees mopping. Which just is NOT going to happen that frequently.

I'm not sure I'd be heartbroken if it died tomorrow, but, I *am* glad I purchased it.

It has some weight to it, right on the mop pad, so I think that helps encourage some of the dirt off the floor. It won't get your grout, but it will do tile just fine I can imagine. I just have linoleum.

I've yet to use it on my hardwood...can you do that? I haven't followed up on that yet. Thanks OP for the reminder to check on that.

I'm getting lots of helpful info-thanks! I have a couple of extra questions. How often do you change the pad that goes on the bottom? Do you have to buy extra pads, or does the steam mop come with enough?

The Shark Vac-then-Steam comes with two micro-fiber pads. One with small texture, the other is large loopy texture. I wash them every time I use them. I would like more pads I think but they are $10 each so I make do with what I have.

We had a cadillac Shark Steam Mop purchased from Costco....When it "died" I said "good riddance". I wanted to love it....

Streaks no matter what we tried (different kinds of water, vinegar, etc.) and hard to push around. For all the elbow grease I'd end up with a streaky floor....

And for $85ish bucks I was expecting awesome. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed.

I have the Euroflex Monster steam mop, and I LOVE IT!! It gets super hot (266*), so it disinfects much more quickly and thoroughly than most of the others. It also has a carpet attachment, so I can get all of the mites and stuff that live in carpets, and kill them, too. It's absolutely AWESOME.

Mine came with 1 carpet pad and 2 hard floor pads. I need more, just b/c I keep tossing them in the laundry room and forgetting about them. :glare:

Edited by kchara
added link

There are too many to choose from, lol. I saw a steam mop on one of the shopping channels yesterday. It was $39 I believe, but that price seemed too good to be true. I googled for reviews but couldn't find more than a handful. I did find a bunch of good reviews on a more expensive model from the same brand. I don't mind paying more money as long as I know I'm getting good quality. On the other hand, why spend more money if a cheaper model will work just as good as the more pricey model. I had no idea there were so many models available. I only knew of the shark and Hahn brands.

Another vote for the Eureka Enviro Steamer! We moved into this house in march, and we have a *lot of tile. Right away I could tell that we were going to need something better than a mop/bucket or hands and knees.

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LYFBHG/ref=ox_ya_os_product, and I love it. The first review gives a very detailed review of a few different brands, and the Enviro Steamer came out on top. The second review has a video review.

I love not having to use a mop and bucket. I do not have any problems with streaks, but I will say that the first few times I used it, the floors were very wet and would take a long time to dry. This really bugged me because so much of the house is covered in tile-- it meant that we were trapped in the living room until it dried. However, after the first few uses this stopped...other reviewers mentioned the same thing.

The instructions mention not drying the cloths because they may shrink. I don't have time to worry about that, so I dry them. They did shrink a bit, but it was in the length and there is still plenty of room to attach the pad. With five kids and and husband who can never remember to take his shoes off...I use this steam mop a lot. I have tried other brands (friends) and I am really glad I went with the Enviro Steamer.

I have the H20 steam mop, and I do really like it, but there are a couple of things that bug me a little.

It has a really short cord so I have to keep unplugging it and moving it to an new outlet.

Also - we have vinyl floors and I have noticed that, while they are really clean, they have also lost a lot of their gloss/shine since I began using the steam mop.