Menu

WTM math-what do you do on the fifth day?

Baking, cooking, or as already suggested - shopping. My kids earn money for extra chores that are done above & beyond what is normally expected of them. It's fun watching them figure out what they can afford (with tax) when they hit Target! All of this can be done on the weekend. :)

We do Life of Fred Friday's here as well. Many tidbits of information are learned which aren't covered in the regular math curriculum we use (Singapore). My ds(13) likes it so much that he has convinced both his younger brother (ds10-new to HS) and his older sister (dd15-ps) to give them a try over the summer.

My 5th grader last year did MUS as his main program, which he could easily spend just four days on most weeks. The biggest challenge for me was to require anything the fifth day because I was exhausted (always, as I was pregnant and then had a newborn for all of 5th grade). I stopped scheduling days for math games because I realized we'd never play them. I considered them to be too optional even though I really love the idea. I have the RightStart card games set but rarely play any of them. (takes me too much time to figure out which games to play and how to play them) Same thing with Singapore's CWP and various other math supplements I wanted to use. As for cooking, my son loves to be creative and will rarely follow a recipe. We obviously need to do better at real-life math in 6th grade. :tongue_smilie:

The one thing my 5th-grader did do was think about money. He suddenly discovered he could buy things with money, so he spent a lot of time thinking about how he could earn it, how much he needed to buy certain things, how long it would take him to earn a certain amount if he did a job with a certain pay, how to sell his old things to his little brothers, etc. I'd say he has a good grasp on adding and subtracting money, at least.

The one thing we did manage to get through in 5th grade was Checkbook Math, as recommended in the WTM. It didn't take up a lot of time. I think he did three pages each week until it was done. I don't remember how many pages are in the book. I'm thinking 25 pages, maybe? It didn't take a lot of weeks to get through the book.

I'd forgotten about real-life math for 6th grade, so I haven't planned anything yet. Maybe more involvement at the grocery store and more cooking family meals from a recipe. Both would help me, so it SHOULDN'T be too hard. I hadn't thought of using LoF only once each week. I'd thought more often would be needed to keep the flow. I my look into this option, as well. Thanks for all who gave the idea.

We use Life of Fred on Fridays as well. I'm looking at Challenge Math thanks to this thread though :)

How many lessons does Life of Fred have that you can only use it on Fridays?...Do you finish it or just skip stuff?

I have never seen Life of Fred and didn't realize it could be used only one day a week...