Menu

If someone you are requesting services from on the phone

uses a swear word, would you consider it unprofessional and not use that service?

I called Patriot Financial today for interest rates on a refi and when I was talking to the guy I told him that some mortgage firms are telling me they can't say which bank they will fund the loan through and we need to know.

He replied, "That is Bull****!"

I was actually quite taken aback, I mean, I am not upset by swearing really, but I think it is unprofessional in a work environment when speaking with potential clients.

Am I over reacting?

Dawn

Unprofessional? Yes, a bit. Would I not use a service if otherwise it seemed like the right choice and like they were professional in the "ways that matter" for that field? No, a slang/mild profanity utterance wouldn't cause me to think twice about using the company. (Now, if it were nonstop and interfered with my ability to communicate, that would be a bigger issue. In this case, it sounds like it was an appropriate use of the term!)

Unprofessional? Yes, a bit. Would I not use a service if otherwise it seemed like the right choice and like they were professional in the "ways that matter" for that field? No, a slang/mild profanity utterance wouldn't cause me to think twice about using the company. (Now, if it were nonstop and interfered with my ability to communicate, that would be a bigger issue. In this case, it sounds like it was an appropriate use of the term!)

I agree that one foul comment would not be a deal breaker for me.

Edited by tmulcahy
oops

Very unprofessional.

:iagree: But if it was some young, swaggering man, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. I wouldn't dump the company, but, if the kid seemed decent otherwise, I'd tell him how I felt. If the kid didn't seem decent, but the company had the best deal around, I'd ask to work with someone else. Kid needs to learn. If it is someone over the age of 25, I'd ask for someone else.

I think.

:iagree:

uses a swear word, would you consider it unprofessional and not use that service?

I called Patriot Financial today for interest rates on a refi and when I was talking to the guy I told him that some mortgage firms are telling me they can't say which bank they will fund the loan through and we need to know.

He replied, "That is Bull****!"

I was actually quite taken aback, I mean, I am not upset by swearing really, but I think it is unprofessional in a work environment when speaking with potential clients.

Am I over reacting?

Dawn

that depends upon if you let him know you found the term profrane and offensive, or just refused to use the service without telling the owner why.

at the very least, the owner really deserves to be told.

:iagree:I'd be a bit taken aback, I think, but probably wouldn't look elsewhere unless there were other indications of issues. Our bug guy and plumber are a little rough around the edges and have used language that I wouldn't (thankfully not in front of the kids!), but I've been happy enough with their services that I haven't looked elsewhere. I find your instance a bit more surprising in the financial services industry, but then again, with things the way they are these days, maybe it's not.

Well, the guy said he would call me back by the end of the day yesterday and here is it 3:00pm the following day and he STILL hasn't called me back.

In fact, all 3 banks I have called in the last 2 days haven't called me back.

All 3 have the same rates it appears but I want to ask some more questions.

ARGH!

Dawn

I would be shocked and would consider it unprofessional but I don't think I would not use there services because of it.

Matter of fact, my gynecologist (when I saw her the first time) used a couple of swear words. I was surprised and thought it unprofessional but I really ended up liking her. She's a great doctor and very down to earth, get to know your patient kind of doctor. Glad I didn't right her off after the first appointment based on that.