Menu

RightStart says to start with level B -- still do A?

blondeviolin

I was in the same boat last year. I'm glad we went with A even though B was recommended based on that simple placement test. A was challenging enough, but I never felt the fear that he wasn't getting it. Also, we school all year long and he was only in K. I felt there was plenty of time to accelerate later if we needed too.

Personally I think A is waaaaaay too dragged out and tedious. You could easily save your money and do B very slowly. The first 25 lessons or so are covered in A, to give you a baseline of how far you might want to go. You could focus on one of those lessons a week if you wanted, reviewing the games and activities through the week. (For kindy, I'd be inclined to skip any formal math all together. In fact....I did.)

A was fun for my kids, and it taught me how to think and teach the RS way. I have seen other comments that most people who stick with RS long-term started with A and not B. I don't have any scientific evidence either way, but we started with A and we are long-term users.

It seems like the people on here who LOVE RightStart are, for the most part, those who started with A.

I have my six year olds in A, and it is perfect! Somewhat easy, but that's OK - it's kindergarten! They are confident and love math b/c they know they can do it. And yet it is interesting to them b/c it is constantly changing.

They love to "trick" me when I say I think something will be too hard for them! :)

Personally I think A is waaaaaay too dragged out and tedious. You could easily save your money and do B very slowly. The first 25 lessons or so are covered in A, to give you a baseline of how far you might want to go.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I also dislike how A has more of a "spiral" format. I don't regret starting my oldest in B and I gave up on trying to do it with my 2nd (he did MEP Reception and most of 1A, then Singapore 1A before starting B).

I don't regret starting my oldest in B and I gave up on trying to do it with my 2nd (he did MEP Reception and most of 1A, then Singapore 1A before starting B).

This is us. I started dd9 in B at the end of her K year. We had to slow it down in a couple of places, so I thought I'd try A with my son for K. I didn't really like it, and he wasn't ready for formal math, so I decided I'd just wait until his 1st grade year (this year) and use B. I much prefer doing it that way. Now, dd4 is all.about.school. So, I bought Singapore Essentials for her to do this year, and we'll see where we go from here but I have no plans to start her in RightStart until she's ready for B.

I started with A with my (really really math bright) son at 4.5 and it was perfect.

I just started A with my 4.5 yo daughter and I think we're going to jump into B - she knows the stuff from hearing big brother do it!

If you're willing to take breaks when necessary and play math games for a week if kiddo needs it, I don't see any problem starting with B. We've taken a month off here and there when it seemed like things just weren't registering and then gone back.

Emily

Loved A. Started at age 4.5 with DS. It was perfect. He didn't know any math beforehand, only how to count to 100. We never had to slow the lessons down.

Loved B. Started it at age 5.5 after having finished A. Looked at the first lessons that were covered in level A...was very glad we did level A, because B would have moved much too quickly, I think. B ended up being wonderful. Never had to slow the lessons down.

Starting C in a few weeks!

I started with A with my (really really math bright) son at 4.5 and it was perfect.

I just started A with my 4.5 yo daughter and I think we're going to jump into B - she knows the stuff from hearing big brother do it!

If you're willing to take breaks when necessary and play math games for a week if kiddo needs it, I don't see any problem starting with B. We've taken a month off here and there when it seemed like things just weren't registering and then gone back.

Emily

This is what I'm leaning towards. I emailed the RS and they responded (QUICK response!) that said we could go slowly/pause to take breaks and play games. If I go into it thinking that it should take two years (to the end of 1st grade) and can use Miquon when we take breaks from RS B, I think it will work...

We started with B as that is what he tested into as well, he was 6 when he started. We are now going into C in a few weeks. It does get pretty deep pretty quick. After Christmas we took a break and played a lot of games and I had anticipated that it would take a 1.5 yrs but he then started breezing through it and we decided to finish it in the summer.