Menu

Daily schedule beyond homeschool (cleaning, errands, cooking)

I've read several homeschool day threads and I'm pretty confident that we can get all of our school stuff done in a day. My problem is the rest of the stuff. Cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. How in the world do you get it all done? In the morning, for example, I feel like I need to make a healthy breakfast for my kids, and I need to get DH's lunch packed and clothes ironed and then we end up in the kitchen far too long. We then need to get dressed, groomed, and beds made before we go downstairs for school. We are lucky to get down there by 9:30 even though we are up by 7.

If there is a day we need to run errands it ends up taking us at least half a day (we live about 25 minutes outside of town). My kids don't even have lessons to go to - I can't imagine adding that! I can keep up with the bare minimum of cleaning but I need to declutter and do major projects like closets and the garage but there is no time.

I've read things like "we start school at 8 and end at 2 with a break for lunch" I'm really interested to see what the rest of your day looks like. I'd love to get some advice and see the rest of your schedule that includes cooking, cleaning and errands. I want to get started on the right foot and do a good job with homeschooling and still keep up with other things. I realize my house won't be a showroom and I wouldn't want it that way but I'd like to at least have some order and not live in a mess.

Are you schooling a 5, 3, and 2 year old? If so, your actual school time shouldn't take very long. I don't think starting at 09:30 is a bad thing. As they get older it'll get easier and harder. They'll be responsible for more themselves, yet you'll have to teach more. I've found it's an adjustment every year, or actually every 6 months or so. Last year I did 5 weeks of school and then 1 week off to get caught back up on things in the house that had been let go. That would give you time for that de-cluttering. Or you could do 4 days a week and tackle one small area every week. But with younger kids, I'd just try to let them sleep later and get something done before they are up, and also work on things during naptime.

I know it's hard to stay on top of things. It's so much easier to get that load of laundry going first thing in the morning, along with a load of dishes. Then, when they are done, take a 10 minute break with school and get everything put away. That's actually what I do now, but with a 12, 10, and 8 year old. Except now I'm teaching my 12 year old to do laundry and dishes, so he can do that part of the time while I get something else done.

I also schooled very lightly with little ones. I wouldn't be spending that much time on math and reading at this age, but still have time to sit in the floor, play playdoh, blocks, etc. Just take advantage of the times when they are sleeping or playing together to get things done. It's a busy time, but you'll find a natural flow that will make things easier for you. It just sometimes takes quite awhile to find that flow.

Alison

We try to begin school at 10 (try is the key word there....it's probably more like 10:30 most days).

When I get up, I eat breakfast first thing (low blood sugar issue). While doing that I surf the internet, check emails, check the boards....this is usually before the kids wake. After I'm done, I go into the kitchen and unload the dishwasher from the night before and then reload it with any leftover dishes (that I had already rinsed last night). Then I immediately start a load of laundry. So right after I wake, I already have the dishwasher and washing machine going.

As my 7 year old does school at the kitchen table, I shuffle around the kitchen while she does her little bit of independent work (writing sentences, working a math problem, etc). I wipe counters down, wipe sink down.

I give the kids breaks periodically throughout the day. Usually they are 30-45 minutes long. During those breaks, you can usually find me sweeping, mopping, tidying, transferring laundry, wiping down the bathrooms, etc. Every few weeks I'll dust (our house really doesn't have too much dust).

If we have errands to run, I try to get school/chores done before 2:30 or 3, which is usually difficult. If we have errands to run before that.....well, school is usually a bust that day. It's hard to stay on track and get back on track after leaving the house. I at least try to get the 3 R's done that morning though.

My nice little schedule will fall apart in October though when we add the new baby to the mix LOL. After having her, I'll have to add exercising back into my morning schedule too.

With a 5, 3, and 2 yo you take school with you. Going to the post office is learning about community/geography. The grocery store is an exercise in reading and math skills.

It's when they grow up that it doesn't work out that well! :lol: Our normal day goes like this:

6-7-ish, everyone gets up. I throw in a load of laundry, take the one from the dryer to the couch, and unload the dishwasher after I start the coffee. Then I sit down with a cup and check email.

8 am - daily schedule overview. I sit down with the big kid, go over what needs to be done, and help him write out his planner.

10:30-ish - baby goes down for a nap, I fold laundry and take my turn on the Rosetta Stone. Next comes the task of the day from Flylady and folding/putting away laundry.

11:30 - lunch prep if there's anything to be done.

12 - lunch, 10 minute tidy

1pm - finishing up schoolwork, laundry switched over.

4pm - quick house tidy before dad gets home at 5. Do any dinner prep if I need to before he cooks.

7pm - start bedtime routines of making sure everything is put away, baths. etc. One of us will oversee pickup while the other cleans the kitchen.

Errands are mostly saved for the weekend when I can run out alone, or on a slow day here. If I need something during the week I send dh for it on his way home from work.

Hello,

I am actually in the process of planning out our days to where they run as smoothly as possible. I run an in-home childcare, homeschool my son, and then need to fit in all the other stuff as well.

I find that I will be taking advantage of nap times for the little ones so that I will be able to focus more on teaching my son. My husband will be reading and doing some Bible with our son in the morning too, so that is a help.

Right now, in order to help out somewhat, here are some of my thoughts:

1. Menu planning- I will do this for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinners

2. I buy meat in bulk at Costco, when I do this I just go ahead and cook everything so that it is easy to pull out and get a meal ready quickly.

3. I plan on learning about some great freezer meals and slow cooker meals for those extra busy days.

4. I am hoping to plan a day during the week (in the evening) to do my errands... mainly grocery shopping, bank, etc... The weekends are sooooo crowded and I would prefer to use that time with my family.

5. My son will have chores daily so that he can help out around the house. He is only 7, but there are many things he can help with each day.

6. Cleaning for me will be basics each day and then focus on one detailed area if possible. For example: Monday might be bathrooms, Tuesday might be dusting, etc..

7. I really need to work in some "me" time as well since my days are so very busy. I hope to get up about 20 minutes earlier to do Bible/devotional time before getting ready for the day. I also plan on working in exercise at least four days a week.

8. On Sundays, I will just take a little time to look over school for the following week. This will help me to know exactly what we will be looking at, what supplies may be needed, etc... Hopefully, it will prevent me from running around searching for things during the week & help me be more prepared.

Those are just a few things I am thinking about doing to help out in our daily routine. I have to have some type of routine each day. I find that things just run soooo much smoother around here.

I am thumbing through a pretty good book as well on organizing. It has ideas for all areas. It is called The Busy Mom's Guide to a Happy, Organized Home, by Kathy Peel. She is Christian, so please take note of this because she does mention scripture throughout the book. I know that some people may not like that approach.

Anyway, best wishes on figuring out a good routine for all that life throws our way. :)

I don't think this should be much of an issue for you with your kid's ages. Kindergarten and preschool shouldn't take up much time and you don't have to do it on a strict schedule. Some days you might start at 10 AM when there's no errands and do chores around the house during their freeplay time. Some days you might have to do errands all morning but can do a couple of hours of school with them in the afternoon. Major things you talked about like decluttering a closet or something, do on a weekend. Or at night after dinner while the kids play. I'd try not to overthink it too much and just go with the flow, get done what you can when you can, school around life rather than trying to live life around school, especially at such young ages. Remember that there are lots of learning opportunities for young kids and they don't all have to be seatwork. You'll settle into a rhythm, I'm sure.

Thank you so much for the replies, they really are helpful! Yes, I'm schooling a 5, 3 and 2 yo. One of our older daughters still lives at home but she works full time and goes to college so she isn't home much.

I think I worry/over think/over schedule because we've had nothing but negative comments from all of the grandparents and they are basically waiting for me to fail at this so we can put the kids in school "where they will get a decent education". Even though DH and I have decided without a doubt that this is the right choice for us, I feel like I need to prove to them that we have made a good decision. I realize I shouldn't care what they think but I do.

The other thing is that my boys are at the age where all the things they do need to have my help so I'm kind of stretched thin. My 5 yo can do a little independent work and can manage to pick up his room and make his bed but beyond that, not much. And of course while I'm helping one of the boys with their chores or with school work or a craft project, the other two are off making a mess :) I try to include everyone in what we do but I don't know, it just never works out right.

Last year was my first year of homeschooling and that's one thing I didn't get figured out. My dh rarely says anything about the housework, but he did start making comments about adding more "life skills" to the curriculum.:glare: We have many evening activities, so I'm going to try to make a daily schedule and stick to it. When I started having a day for aquarium cleaning, it started to get done more regularly and I'm hoping that will work for other stuff too.

If your 5 year old no longer takes naps, you can always use that as his prime school time while the other 2 are napping.

I also believe that certain shows are quite educational for little ones...The Letter Factory truly worked wonders around here with learning our letter sounds...when other things had failed.

And I think most of us understand a certain amount of pressure from others. The great thing you have going for you is the support of a husband. So this is now your way of life and just try to own it and make it work for your family and just re-assure everyone else that you know what you are doing and for now, this is the right thing for your family.

I've found that striking a balance between house chores and schooling has been the hardest thing each year. This is my 8th year and every year making out a schedule and trying to get things done always takes some time. If it helps, allow yourself days to just take off and get caught up...that's what helps me out.

:grouphug:

The other thing is that my boys are at the age where all the things they do need to have my help so I'm kind of stretched thin. My 5 yo can do a little independent work and can manage to pick up his room and make his bed but beyond that, not much. And of course while I'm helping one of the boys with their chores or with school work or a craft project, the other two are off making a mess :) I try to include everyone in what we do but I don't know, it just never works out right.

You're ahead of me, then! LOL. My almost 7 year old barely remembers to check the bed for leaks, forget making it! My 10 year old still has to be (nicely) forced into the tub and forced back in when she doesn't do her hair.

For me, I've found that if I don't try so hard, more gets done. If there are dishes in the sink when I go to bed, it's ok. If dd doesn't put away all her laundry, fine.

When I try too hard, almost nothing gets done because it all needs to be perfect, which never happens and I end up on here all day planning to get organized!

Your kids are at their prime training stage! They do need to be with you so you can train them, and yes, you will be stretched thin. My oldest - at 9yo - can finally do some housework without me in the room. My 7yo & under crowd definitely need to be managed yet. I do "my" housework during the kids' free time, and I train them when they are doing chores. Every day we pick-up at 5:00. The kids do the work, but it's as much work for me since I have to be very hands-on to teach them.

Schoolwork usually includes the whole crew. When we do math, the youngers play with manipulatives. When we do handwriting, everyone has their own white board. My 2yo & 4yo have their own school box of crayons and notebooks. The littles are invited to listen to anyone reading aloud. Including everyone does work, but only if you don't have an idyllic picture in your mind. :D

I would streamline by letting DH get himself ready in the morning :D

I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking "wow! You are a lot nicer to your hubby than I am! He's on his own in the a.m. while I'm getting Math started!" Ok....to be real honest, that's only on the good days. Most days he's on his own while we are still snoring in bed! :tongue_smilie: *sheesh!*

I'm not any help to you. But I'm all :bigear:s to see how everyone else is doing it. It's been great to see other people's schedules!

I think the times you start and end your official school stuff depend on your family and not what others do. :-)

I take my shower at night so I can get dressed first thing in the morning. Dc also take their baths at night for the same reason. Mr. Ellie showers in the wee hours of the morning. :-) Anyway, I get up, get dressed, and make my bed before I leave the bedroom. Dds also get dressed when they get up, before breakfast (making beds...um...sometimes that happens!)

I used to make lunches for Mr. Ellie, but by the time dc were 5ish, he was doing that for himself.

So our daily routine was this:

Get up, get dressed, have breakfast, clean the kitchen, wash my hair in the kitchen sink :D . We were usually ready for the day by 9.

Monday and Tuesday: Official School Days. No errands, no outside activities (until after, oh, 3 or 4, or in the evening...never, ever before then).

Wednesday: Library in the morning; goofing off, errands, etc., after lunch. Maybe Official School Stuff if dc felt like it.

Thursday: Field trip. Yes, every week, so no errands or appointments or activities with support group (although sometimes I invited other hsers to go with me on the field trips). No Official School Stuff.

Friday: Clean house...all the laundry (and that's when I would have done any ironing), dusting, vacuuming, change sheets, clean bathroom, everything. Small house, only 4 people living in it. :001_smile: No Official School Stuff.

Every weekday: Begin dinner prep around 3:30 on days we were home, as Mr. Ellie walked in the front door at 4:30. We were finished with dinner, including cleaning the kitchen, by 5:30.

No laundry or major house cleaning on weekends.

... and I need to get DH's lunch packed and clothes ironed and then we end up in the kitchen far too long. We then need to get dressed, groomed, and beds made before we go downstairs for school. We are lucky to get down there by 9:30 even though we are up by 7.

First, I am by no means an expert in this area. I'm still struggling. But if you would like to continue this blessing to your DH, how about if you do it the evening before?

I generally will package up something for DH after dinner or he will do it himself. He "irons" his own clothes by tossing them in the dryer with a wet wash cloth. :lol: or we use Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I only buy no-iron men's clothes. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I was also thinking "wow! You are a lot nicer to your hubby than I am! He's on his own in the a.m. while I'm getting Math started!" Ok....to be real honest, that's only on the good days. Most days he's on his own while we are still snoring in bed! :tongue_smilie: *sheesh!*

I'm not any help to you. But I'm all :bigear:s to see how everyone else is doing it. It's been great to see other people's schedules!

I should explain... DH works 2 jobs so that I don't have to go to work. He stays up until midnight and beyond many nights working so I try to do little things to help him when I can :) If he worked one job it would definitely be different because I feel like I work 3 jobs just taking care of the kids and homeschooling lol

I do like the idea of doing school a few days and take a day off or go a few weeks and take a week off. Right now we are doing 6 days a week and church on Sunday so it would be very nice to have a little break. Maybe if I scheduled it in I wouldn't feel guilty. The thing is that the kids BEG for school work if we don't do it so we just go ahead and do school work most days because honestly, I enjoy doing it with them as much as they enjoy doing it. I just need to find a balance I guess.

First, I am by no means an expert in this area. I'm still struggling. But if you would like to continue this blessing to your DH, how about if you do it the evening before?

I generally will package up something for DH after dinner or he will do it himself. He "irons" his own clothes by tossing them in the dryer with a wet wash cloth. :lol: or we use Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I only buy no-iron men's clothes. ;)

:) I should try the Downy Wrinkle Releaser - does it really work?? My daughter doesn't iron her clothes, she tosses them in the dryer on the "freshen up" cycle. I get after her because I feel like it takes up too much energy but maybe I should try it too lol

:) I should try the Downy Wrinkle Releaser - does it really work?? My daughter doesn't iron her clothes, she tosses them in the dryer on the "freshen up" cycle. I get after her because I feel like it takes up too much energy but maybe I should try it too lol

Yes it works. Search for how to make a homemade version. But I just buy it these days.

And the iron probably uses as much energy as the dryer. ;) At least tell yourself that. :grouphug:

I should explain... DH works 2 jobs so that I don't have to go to work. He stays up until midnight and beyond many nights working so I try to do little things to help him when I can :) If he worked one job it would definitely be different because I feel like I work 3 jobs just taking care of the kids and homeschooling lol

I don't think you need to explain why you iron your dh's clothes. :001_smile: But it would probably be a good idea to iron at another time, and to make his lunch in the evening instead of in the morning.

Oh, gosh! That is different! What a sweet and wonderful man you have! I would definitely be doing all I could to help my hubby if he was having to work that hard!