Menu

Co-op Costs

For those involved in a co-op, how much are your classes generally? I understand co-ops such as Classical Conversations are more expensive and classes such as art involve more supplies and therefore are a higher cost. I have looked at a few groups lately and the charges for some classes do not sit well with me. I'm cheap so that doesn't help, but whatever happened to some moms offering a few classes and charging a small fee to cover some expenses?

In our co-op, classes are $20 per semester or $40 per school year for each class. They meet once a month for that price.

I agree that prices have increased dramatically for co-ops! When I started homeschooling...some 15+ years ago...I don't believe I paid that much for a class that met every week.

We take turns teaching, and provide the supplies we need, so it varies. Most of the parents say it's usually about $100 to do a class for the group, though-which means that a traditional co-op probably isn't any more expensive, in the final analysis, than our parent-taught one.

Our co-op classes that are taught by moms are either free or $2-5 for supplies. We have an outside art teacher who charges $10 per class and sometimes when a kit is needed for a class it might be $15 or $20. The moms do not teach to earn money and those who do not teach contribute in another way such as cleaning. Everyone contributes $20 per session/$60 per year for a donation to our location.

There is a co-op here...well, I guess it's more like a mini-school. You can sign up to take classes....for $166 per semester (more like 2 months).

I think it's ridiculous. There is no way I'd pay that. I'd rather pay to put my kids in lessons of some sort where they could stay all year.

We pay $20/month for building use fee but most of the classes are free. Only those that need supplies (art, cooking, etc.) and outside teachers (piano, foreign language) cost extra.

We also have the sort of co-op that requires parents to teach or help in the nursery. It's a trade off that works for us. :D

For those involved in a co-op, how much are your classes generally? I understand co-ops such as Classical Conversations are more expensive and classes such as art involve more supplies and therefore are a higher cost. I have looked at a few groups lately and the charges for some classes do not sit well with me. I'm cheap so that doesn't help, but whatever happened to some moms offering a few classes and charging a small fee to cover some expenses?

Ours are generally $10/15 for 10 weeks of a non-academic class taught by a parent, up to $35/40 for more sophisticated classes (10 weeks) or $55 or more for professionally-taught Art, Drama and Fencing.

Costs for a ten-week term of a one hour class (plus bonus activities at orientation and share fair) is $50 for tuition, and an additional $5 - $10 for materials. We have four class periods per day, so a full day for one child runs between $220 - $240. Parent jobs are required on top of these fees.

The co-op my daughter will be participating in this fall is for high school students. There is a $15 registration fee and then fees per class. She'll be taking Financial Peace one semester, which has no fees other than the cost of the book ($31). Then she's taking First Aid, which has a nominal fee. She's also taking Spanish 1, with a certified Spanish teacher. The cost for that is $320 per year, plus the cost of the books (Abeka).

$80 a year for the family. It's a little more if you have more kids. This co-op is just starting up and it's small. Parents are helping to teach. I'm teaching some art classes and I'm a little worried about being able to do art on as small a budget as possible. The fact is that you can't do art without supplies, you know? :)

ETA: In other words, I wish this co-op charged a little more. :)

I think you have to remember the facility/insurance fee. For our co-op, I charged about $30 too little for each student. We're gonna have to fundraise to make up the difference. The bldg is $80 a week for us and the insurance (hopefully, haven't "settled" the acct yet) is $500 for the year. SO, it's not like it's cheap to have a spot. We're hoping for 10 kids or so per class.... which for us would end up with 80 kids the first year... and up to 150 the second. We'll have to have a bigger spot for that... We'll see how it goes. We've done tons of planning. (not charging anything for us) I have NO idea how most people spend enough time to do start a co-op. We've spent over 100 hrs putting it together, I'm pretty sure... This was started by 3 people... We also put in all of our own curriculum. My friend had a Science curriculum for 1st-8th... and we're using SOTW. Parents just have to purchase the student pages for the classes.... and then the other classes.

It's a TON of effort... now I'm just hoping that it runs smoothly, and it gives the students a "class" to grow up with.

:)

but whatever happened to some moms offering a few classes and charging a small fee to cover some expenses?

We have a group fee of $35 per family and then class fees on top of that. And class fees are just to cover expenses. Then each class has $3 per person charge for copies. (One year copies got out of control and now we pay extra for them! But we also don't have to figure in copy costs.) But then some classes are more expensive than others. The classes the kids and I signed up for at co-op this year have an average cost of $27.

I think you have to remember the facility/insurance fee. For our co-op, I charged about $30 too little for each student. We're gonna have to fundraise to make up the difference. The bldg is $80 a week for us and the insurance (hopefully, haven't "settled" the acct yet) is $500 for the year. SO, it's not like it's cheap to have a spot. We're hoping for 10 kids or so per class.... which for us would end up with 80 kids the first year... and up to 150 the second. We'll have to have a bigger spot for that... We'll see how it goes. We've done tons of planning. (not charging anything for us) I have NO idea how most people spend enough time to do start a co-op. We've spent over 100 hrs putting it together, I'm pretty sure... This was started by 3 people... We also put in all of our own curriculum. My friend had a Science curriculum for 1st-8th... and we're using SOTW. Parents just have to purchase the student pages for the classes.... and then the other classes.

It's a TON of effort... now I'm just hoping that it runs smoothly, and it gives the students a "class" to grow up with.

:)

Yes, I was thinking some of the costs would help cover building fees/electricity/possible insurance. But I also know of co-ops that meet in various churches and libraries that don't pay for things like that. Some groups usually have a registration fee, family fee/building fee, plus class fee (3 or more classes for a full day), plus supplies and often times lunch. :tongue_smilie:Too much for me, but fine for others I know. I'm more apt to pay for classes like that when the kids are much older, but I don't value it much when they are in early elementary. They are totally happy if they get to go to the playground or library.

Yes, I was thinking some of the costs would help cover building fees/electricity/possible insurance. But I also know of co-ops that meet in various churches and libraries that don't pay for things like that. Some groups usually have a registration fee, family fee/building fee, plus class fee (3 or more classes for a full day), plus supplies and often times lunch. :tongue_smilie:Too much for me, but fine for others I know. I'm more apt to pay for classes like that when the kids are much older, but I don't value it much when they are in early elementary. They are totally happy if they get to go to the playground or library.

Yes, there are, but usually they do a "love offering" and also... who is responsible for injuries and such if there are problems? Someone is going to be responsible if there are problems. Even if the parents are ok paying for injuries... the insurance companies that have to pay for problems won't be. And while my son is fine at the park and such, I want him to have a day of concentrated learning. We're doing projects each week for science and history and having a "learning time" is a different atmosphere than just "come to the park when you want". I am doing this partially because when they're older, students start going back to school, because their parents have a harder time getting them to do academics. I think.... that by starting this group while he's younger, I'll have an advantage when he's older. :)