Menu

punctuality is important

If your kids don't go to public school, and they have a relaxed routine at home instead of a regimented schedule they will never learn to function in an adult world. What will they do when they go to college? When they get a job?

Because, yk... living in the real world like we do, we've never had to be on time for anything. At all. Ever. So my kids couldn't possibly understand how to get somewhere on time.

PS: I was told dr's appts don't count because doctors never get you in on time anyhow

If your kids don't go to public school, and they have a relaxed routine at home instead of a regimented schedule they will never learn to function in an adult world. What will they do when they go to college? When they get a job?

Because, yk... living in the real world like we do, we've never had to be on time for anything. At all. Ever. So my kids couldn't possibly understand how to get somewhere on time.

If you don't show up on time, nobody will buy your denim jumpers. :(

(kidding)

Well, so have most of our scout meetings over the years and those are mostly run by and attended by public schooled folks.

(Woe to the group that puts me in charge. I once ran a Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet that was on a schedule. We stayed within about 2 minutes of the plan the whole way through and were out on time.)

I don't know what it is, but every single homeschooling event we go to manages to start late. It's a running joke with DH.

:lol: Someone I know calls it Homeschool Standard Time.

Anyway, I was public-schooled the whole way, and I'm late for everything (I'm sorry! I try, I really do!). I get it from my mom, who was also PSed her entire life and is late (sometimes hours late) for everything. So the argument doesn't really hold water.

I live in the community of Five-minutes-early-is-on-time. If I'm ever the first to a function I'll be amazed!

Teach them to stand in line? *gulp* Without sending them to school? Are you crazy?

:lol:

Oh, my! My son's K teacher told me she knew he hadn't been to school before because he didn't know how to stand in line. This, in the first week! I send her a kid who can read, write, and do math and she's worried about his development because he had never marched in a line of children before!

PS: I was told dr's appts don't count because doctors never get you in on time anyhow

I went to public school all my life and I still can't manage to be on time for anything LOL.

I agree though that my kids don't have a clue about time - but they can't tell the time yet and so when I yell at them to hurry up we are late they just look at me clueless and continue whatever they are doing :lol:

My DH is the 5 minutes early is on time and on time is late. Unfortatally our real world never runs ontime. The only thing that I can count on around here are the bus and train schedules and the school bell. other than that everything is alway 5 or 10 mintues past the so called starting time.

At the very least, it's important to teach them how to stand in line.

Oh my :lol: You have no idea how hard I am laughing. The reason I took my son out of PS kindergarten in his first week was that they wouldn't let parents past the front door for fear the kids would "get out of line" (literally) in the hallways. They had special tiles alternating black and white and had them line up each on a tile and they were walked this way everywhere - you had to move from one tile to the next. No tile sharing, no tile skipping and woe to the person who got out of line!! It was so pathetically horrendous and sad.

I'm of the be at least 5 minutes early or your late variety myself. On the way to the party where I was told this, we rode with a friend who will probably be late for her own funeral. The party started at 5:00, and at that time we were still 2mi away. THe older kids and I were all working button holes. A minute later my 10yo old said, we're 1 minute late!

Oh my :lol: You have no idea how hard I am laughing. The reason I took my son out of PS kindergarten in his first week was that they wouldn't let parents past the front door for fear the kids would "get out of line" (literally) in the hallways. They had special tiles alternating black and white and had them line up each on a tile and they were walked this way everywhere - you had to move from one tile to the next. No tile sharing, no tile skipping and woe to the person who got out of line!! It was so pathetically horrendous and sad.

We know how to stand in lines, but I don't think any of us could handle that straight of a line. Not without developing some sort of complex. ;)

Oh, yeah, because we all know how on-time and punctual public school students are. And most of the homeschooling parents are products of public schools where supposedly they learned to be punctual...

Oh, yeah, and then there would be all the church youth group activities which start on time, and where all of the parents pick up their kids from the activities on time. Or parents of children in home-based day care, who never, ever pick up their babies late...