Menu

Help me pick the next book I read....

A Short History of Nearly Everything is something I recommend pretty often. Really, any of Bill Bryson's books are great history reads.

Liberty Defined: 50 Essential Issues that Affect Our Freedom by Ron Paul is really concise and easy to read in small chapters, if you're like me and have to put down and pick up a book several times before finishing it.

For Self-Help, you might enjoy Raising the Emotionally Intelligent Child. What I love about John Gottman is that he is a real scientist with real data to back up his methodology.

I am not a big reader of non-fiction, but this year I read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down which I thought was fantastic . It's medical-and-cultural more than health-and-history, but might interest you. It's about the conflict between culture and medicine as it relates to the treatment of a young Hmong girl with epilepsy. The book covers the personal stories of the family and doctors involved, the conflict between medical "best practice" and cultural realities as well as the history, religion and culture of the Hmong people. It's highly readable and very thought provoking.

I am not a big reader of non-fiction, but this year I read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down which I thought was fantastic . It's medical-and-cultural more than health-and-history, but might interest you. It's about the conflict between culture and medicine as it relates to the treatment of a young Hmong girl with epilepsy. The book covers the personal stories of the family and doctors involved, the conflict between medical "best practice" and cultural realities as well as the history, religion and culture of the Hmong people. It's highly readable and very thought provoking.

This is an AWESOME book!

I just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. If you like history, biography, and being so wrapped up in an incredible story you can't put it down, you'll enjoy it. Parts of it were difficult for me to read because my great uncle was a WWII pilot who was shot down and eventually declared dead, but it was an excellent book.