Menu

I Don't Get Nursing Tops

So I'm now about 6 and a half months along and my husband got tired of me unbuttoning my jeans every time I sat down (I can only wear my jeans because between buying them and getting pregnant I lost 20 pounds so they were rather roomy) so he drove me to a mall with a maternity shop and ordered me to buy clothes. I came out with a couple of pairs of pants and four tops. One of the tops is a maternity-slash-nursing top.

This thing has a little sports bra thingee underneath with two holes in it. I suppose you're supposed to poke your breasts through those to nurse a baby. It makes me think of those joke glasses with the pop-out eyes only my nipples are cast in the roles of the eyes at the end of the spring. Every time I put the top on I have to fiddle around with this bit because otherwise it could end up on my back or around my neck.

But it's supposed to protect my modesty somehow? It has holes in it that my breasts peek out of. Holes! It's no better then a nursing bra, which of course I'd be wearing anyway, if my baby decides to share a view of his/her meal with the world.

I just don't understand. I nursed my first two with no one noticing just by wearing oversized t-shirts. I don't get what this little bit of material is supposed to protect.

The top is cute though. It's grey and makes my eyes seems like they're a beautiful shade of grey so maybe when the baby decides to flip up the front of the shirt no one will notice my nipple because they'll all be staring at my eyes?

Sounds like you got a nursing tank (takes the place of a nursing bra) rather than a nursing top (?) Nursing tops usually just have a special side panel or lift panel so that you can nurse without "popping out".

:blink:

I had no idea...The nursing tank feature is useless then as the girls are much too impressive to be tamed by a nursing tank. It's a plus size shirt too. I'm think most women who would buy this size would not find the nursing tank bit useful - a bit of a mindless upsizing issue maybe.

I think that maybe some women wear a nursing tank under other shirts? I remember someone telling me it 'turned any shirt into a nursing shirt'. I didn't get that because I found any shirt easy to wear for nursing. Now, a dress without buttons on the top? That is tricky. But, a shirt, I can handle.

I think that maybe some women wear a nursing tank under other shirts? I remember someone telling me it 'turned any shirt into a nursing shirt'. I didn't get that because I found any shirt easy to wear for nursing. Now, a dress without buttons on the top? That is tricky. But, a shirt, I can handle.

This shirt has a tank attached to it underneath. The shirt is a nice grey T with a square neck and some shirring around the neck and the tank is attached under that. Makes getting it on a bit of a puzzle. I'm tempted to just cut out the tank bit.

I kind of think they are useful to brand new nursing mothers. I had a couple with my 1st- it just helped to nurse while still having a flap to cover up with. Once I was at it a while, I realized I was just as modest with a shirt that buttoned & unbuttoning the bottom buttons to nurse discreetly. A while after that I was good enough and self-confident enough to nurse in a t-shirt discreetly. so, I think they are a waste of money, but maybe peace of mind to a brand new mother.

ah, if it's a T with a tank under it, then it's probably more to hide the belly area while nursing (the T being lifted a bit and the tank doing the covering of the belly area). Wear a bra under it, but then, yeah, that all would be a pain compared to just a T (imo anyhow...but then, I'm getting too old to care about cover the belly or don't cover the belly...shoot, just let me nurse my baby and don't look if you don't want too :D )

I tried a couple of nursing tops. The openings were always too high and exposed my chest. There was no getting nipples through the openings to nurse. The only way I could use them was to cut the openings another couple of inches .

Yep, for me it was about covering my stomach, not about breasts at all.

By the last baby I learned that I could just buy a tank top at Target a size too small and cut the top part off (leaving me with just a tube, basically). I put that on under my shirt and had a stomach cover. LOVED it. I made it in black, which matched the sling and most clothes I wore. It just looked like part of my shirt or sling. Baby ate and my stomach wasn't exposed. (also gets cold, whether you mind your stomach showing or not)

Wolf insisted that I buy some maternity pjs this wknd. They're cute, but have exactly what you're talking about in the top. Honestly, it looks kinda raggedy and dumb. Thankfully, can't be seen by anyone :lol:

I always had enough trouble managing giant size tomes in and out of nursing bras without extra holey material getting in the way! :lol:

I liked nursing tanks because they covered my stomach. For example, when you pull your shirt up....stomach is still covered, just made me more comfortable.

I agree. Baby covers the breast when he's nursing, but what's there to cover my flabby stomach? I like nursing tanks under regular shirts so I don't have to think about that.